PDA

View Full Version : Tackle for an Overnight Trip?

EastCoaster
06-30-2009, 05:54 PM
Its not till Aug 2 but I am heading out on an Overnighter aboard the Voyager. This will be my 1st trip longer than a 3/4 day. Any advice what kind of tackle to bring. My biggest reel is a Tourium 20. Line advice, lure types, colors, anything will work. The last year trip during that time had 34 albacore and like 24 dorodo. Never fished for either so anything helps. Thanks

flopps1
06-30-2009, 10:06 PM
What other reels do you have besides the 20? You'll be heading off shore for sure. Chasing the pelegics for sure. Here's what I suggest. For some it may be overkill but I rather have it and not need it... then to need it and not have it.

15#...bait stick in case fish are line shy
20#...bait stick
25#...bait stick, heavy iron for yo-yo, or fish the slide with plastics or megabait
40#...bait stick in case the fish are not line shy or you come across a larger grade of fish

If only a couple set-ups then go with a 20# and 25#. Those are probally what you'll use the most. The others are just insurance. Other then that. Your standard size hooks but make sure you have sz. 4 in case you fish the chovies.

If you like fishing lures then you might want to bring along chrome or chrome/blue heavy iron like a Tady 9 or Salas 6jr. Also, some plastics in dark colors works for me on the slide. Not all boats like guys to do this so be sure to check with the crew if fishing the slide is allowed) Blue or purple rubber. And bring some fluro leaders.

Here's a link that I believe anyone doing they're first overnighter should read. Take the time. It will educate you and help your odds of landing fish. Good read for sure.

http://www.allcoast.com/discussion/ViewTopic.cfm?page=1&startrow=1&topic_ID=74291

Ricky-Ray
06-30-2009, 10:14 PM
You can either fish offshore, or SCI depending on what's biting. If offshore your going to be paddy hopping and looking for bird schools. Flyline a live sardine, usual setup would be 25# with flouro.

If your fishing SCI most likely the same thing if you guys are flylining the baits. If you have squid maybe add a 1/4 or 1/2 oz sliding sinker depending on the current. Dropper loop rig if you want to fish the bottom for whatever or maybe for whiteseabass in the morning.

Something around a 15# setup for bass would be ideal and then 20 or 25# setup for bait and maybe a 30 or 40 pound setup for bait or iron and that would pretty much be the bare minimum I would suggest.

ghetto dad
07-01-2009, 06:27 AM
What other reels do you have besides the 20? You'll be heading off shore for sure. Chasing the pelegics for sure. Here's what I suggest. For some it may be overkill but I rather have it and not need it... then to need it and not have it.

15#...bait stick in case fish are line shy
20#...bait stick
25#...bait stick, heavy iron for yo-yo, or fish the slide with plastics or megabait
40#...bait stick in case the fish are not line shy or you come across a larger grade of fish

If only a couple set-ups then go with a 20# and 25#. Those are probally what you'll use the most. The others are just insurance. Other then that. Your standard size hooks but make sure you have sz. 4 in case you fish the chovies.

If you like fishing lures then you might want to bring along chrome or chrome/blue heavy iron like a Tady 9 or Salas 6jr. Also, some plastics in dark colors works for me on the slide. Not all boats like guys to do this so be sure to check with the crew if fishing the slide is allowed) Blue or purple rubber. And bring some fluro leaders.

Here's a link that I believe anyone doing they're first overnighter should read. Take the time. It will educate you and help your odds of landing fish. Good read for sure.

http://www.allcoast.com/discussion/ViewTopic.cfm?page=1&startrow=1&topic_ID=74291

not overkill homie....thats basically what I bring...good advice

GD