PDA

View Full Version : ADVICE please. Am I CRAZY?

bitedez
06-30-2009, 05:35 PM
I want to take my 13 ft aluminum boat to the HB flats. Is this safe? Where do you guys suggest I launch out of?

labboss2003
06-30-2009, 06:12 PM
no offense but I would not...........except on a very very calm day, if you know what yer doin then go for it .........if you dont or are unsure then dont risk it .main thing is to know your boat and yourself .
there are some really good spots just south of newport, 1-2 miles down that are great
be safe and good luck

Frenchy
06-30-2009, 06:37 PM
ive taken a 14 foot alumium boat to catalina the back side the flats is nothing go for it just be safe

ghetto dad
06-30-2009, 07:00 PM
Dont forget about the EXPERIENCED "tonnage" crew member who recently passed away, in a bigger boat that that crossing to Catalina....I wouldnt take that thing very far out of harbor....make sure you have some kind of VHF radio also.......

GD

trlrtrsh67
06-30-2009, 07:06 PM
You could go to San Clemente and back if the conditions are right...just don't go with that ballsy-machismo crap!! If the conditions are right then yes you can, if not then stay on the inside and work the wall. My lil bro and I were gonna run his 19' cc outta MDR to Catalina this one time but after we cleared Palos Verdes Point "area" the bumps got to be 4-5' and we said "F" it...gambling on the water is not worth it!! Check NOAA for weather and swell reports and make an educated guess and leave your balls totally out of the equation!

Troutman65
06-30-2009, 07:14 PM
Conditions can change very fast out there also. I would be very careful to say the least. Personally, I would not attempt crossing the channel in a 13' boat.

ghetto dad
06-30-2009, 07:19 PM
You could go to San Clemente and back if the conditions are right...just don't go with that ballsy-machismo crap!! If the conditions are right then yes you can, if not then stay on the inside and work the wall. My lil bro and I were gonna run his 19' cc outta MDR to Catalina this one time but after we cleared Palos Verdes Point "area" the bumps got to be 4-5' and we said "F" it...gambling on the water is not worth it!! Check NOAA for weather and swell reports and make an educated guess and leave your balls totally out of the equation!

you could go across in an inflatable raft if conditions are right...doesnt mean its smart to do.....

GD

Troutman65
06-30-2009, 07:29 PM
you could go across in an inflatable raft if conditions are right...doesnt mean its smart to do.....

GD

Ditto. It just is not worth your life or others .

xjdesertfox
06-30-2009, 07:29 PM
i'd be very very very weary to do so, we tried to take our 19' nitro with a merc 150 out into open water out of MDR and just about flipped it over due to 4' tides and an operator who is inexperienced in the water, be very careful.

murrieta angler
06-30-2009, 08:24 PM
Use common sense dude....

Check the weather reports the day before, as well as the morning before you leave. Make sure you have at least a portable GPS, portable band radio, with all the necessary freq's and a cell phone.

If still not quite sure you want to do it alone ask for someone to buddy boat with you. There is usually people on this site that will help out a fellow angler.

Last, the only way to get experience is to just do it.

NoHo ART
06-30-2009, 09:14 PM
the furthest i been with my 14' aluminum.
when i have lunched from mdr about 3-5 miles off shore and about 3-5 miles passed santa monica pier.
but then there have been days i was not able to get out side of the brake wall
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh293/trufy2000/img_0789.jpg
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh293/trufy2000/img_0788.jpg
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh293/trufy2000/img_0790.jpg

once out there if you feel comfortable head out if it gets ruff slow down and get closer to shore and work your way back

bones
06-30-2009, 09:52 PM
13 foot aluminum boats ARE NOT meant for the sea!
If one wave even in a two foot swell was to swamp your boat ....You are DONE. Aluminum boats sink like a lead weight and have no floatation to keep them up in case of a rogue swell. Boston whalers for example WON'T sink!
Wind swell can come up in a hurry and alot of times you get a forerunner swell or a piggyback swell that will ruin your day and possibly your life!
It really wouldn't take a very large wave from the backside to fill you up dude and mother nature is very unforgiving.
IMHO....It's like taking a BB gun to a gun fight. A 13 ft aluminum boat is only good for the harbor and MAYBE just outside of the harbor on a good day.
I'm not saying that it's not possible to have a great day on the water but think about it.....One small wave and your boat and all of your fishing gear is a done deal.
No bilge pump will bail you out of that situation!

ghetto dad
07-01-2009, 06:24 AM
If one wave even in a two foot swell was to swamp your boat ....You are DONE. Aluminum boats sink like a lead weight and have no floatation to keep them up in case of a rogue swell. Boston whalers for example WON'T sink!
Wind swell can come up in a hurry and alot of times you get a forerunner swell or a piggyback swell that will ruin your day and possibly your life!
It really wouldn't take a very large wave from the backside to fill you up dude and mother nature is very unforgiving.
IMHO....It's like taking a BB gun to a gun fight. A 13 ft aluminum boat is only good for the harbor and MAYBE just outside of the harbor on a good day.
I'm not saying that it's not possible to have a great day on the water but think about it.....One small wave and your boat and all of your fishing gear is a done deal.

perfect advice......

GD

victor101
07-01-2009, 08:51 AM
how did the HB flats turn into catalina?

Troutman65
07-01-2009, 08:53 AM

Most Excellent advice......

TM65