PDA

View Full Version : New spots to take the kids?

baloneysandwich
06-24-2007, 10:34 AM
So I have been fishing a few spots with the kids with some success, mainly balboa pier, newport pier, and the concrete sections on Corona del mar jetty.
The kids love fishing and I can usually at least get them into some mackerals or something when we go. I am just looking for some new spots to go, I was out on Balboa sat morning when some very inconsiderate bastards pushed me to my limit. I was ready to start throwing some people out for shark chum. When I hit up those spots it is mainly so I can get the kids into some fishing, I usually don't even get my pole into the water the time is spent rigging the kids up and keeping them busy.

Yesterday we show up I slap some bait onto the cutting tables to let it thaw a little while I was rigging up the kids poles. I get the poles all rigged up and head over to chop some bait for the kids to find that some ****er has stolen my bait. So now to plan B I rerig the kids line to something else, they get one on and it tangles with anothers line who has nothing on. I tell the kids to just get the fish in I will untangle the guys line and everything will be cool. So they get the fish in I begin to untangle the mess and take the fish off to throw back while some lady (the guys wife) comes running up and grabbing her husbands line. I say hold on I will untangle it she then rips on the line again hooking my hand up with several hooks from a sabiki rig. I say again somewhat less calmly step the **** back and I will handle it. She continues to try and pull on the line sinking more hooks into my hand. Finally I cut the guys line and tell them to stay away before I throw them in. We decide to pack up and leave.

So to the point, is there any other places that I can take my kids that they a)don't have to climb out on some rocks clear on the jetty and risk falling(My wife will kill me if I take them where I go myself) b) Avoid some of the *** clowns that will not purchase a license to fish somewhere else and care more about losing 5 min of fishing time than letting a kid catch a fish c) Have some reasonable success

Thanks in advance fellow fisherman, and sorry for the rant I was just very angry with yesterday's experience I just want to keep the kids interest in fishing so that I can assure I have a fishing partner who is not an *** when I get old and bug them to take me out.

hakaveli
06-24-2007, 10:53 AM
So I have been fishing a few spots with the kids with some success, mainly balboa pier, newport pier, and the concrete sections on Corona del mar jetty.
The kids love fishing and I can usually at least get them into some mackerals or something when we go. I am just looking for some new spots to go, I was out on Balboa sat morning when some very inconsiderate bastards pushed me to my limit. I was ready to start throwing some people out for shark chum. When I hit up those spots it is mainly so I can get the kids into some fishing, I usually don't even get my pole into the water the time is spent rigging the kids up and keeping them busy.

Yesterday we show up I slap some bait onto the cutting tables to let it thaw a little while I was rigging up the kids poles. I get the poles all rigged up and head over to chop some bait for the kids to find that some ****er has stolen my bait. So now to plan B I rerig the kids line to something else, they get one on and it tangles with anothers line who has nothing on. I tell the kids to just get the fish in I will untangle the guys line and everything will be cool. So they get the fish in I begin to untangle the mess and take the fish off to throw back while some lady (the guys wife) comes running up and grabbing her husbands line. I say hold on I will untangle it she then rips on the line again hooking my hand up with several hooks from a sabiki rig. I say again somewhat less calmly step the **** back and I will handle it. She continues to try and pull on the line sinking more hooks into my hand. Finally I cut the guys line and tell them to stay away before I throw them in. We decide to pack up and leave.

So to the point, is there any other places that I can take my kids that they a)don't have to climb out on some rocks clear on the jetty and risk falling(My wife will kill me if I take them where I go myself) b) Avoid some of the *** clowns that will not purchase a license to fish somewhere else and care more about losing 5 min of fishing time than letting a kid catch a fish c) Have some reasonable success

Thanks in advance fellow fisherman, and sorry for the rant I was just very angry with yesterday's experience I just want to keep the kids interest in fishing so that I can assure I have a fishing partner who is not an *** when I get old and bug them to take me out.

u can try to fish the harbor in the public docks. Sorry for the **** in the pier i hate when people like that dont listen

victor101
06-24-2007, 01:44 PM
f*ck that i would have used that B*tch for bait, you can try redondo pier if that aint to far for you. i stock up on some mack but i see other people catching some twisted things there good luck

imo redondo is the same or even worse. always packed. you have to get there really early to find a decent spot to fish. why not try the surf? more space, less tangles with other lines. just find an open spot with no swimmers.

baloneysandwich
06-24-2007, 02:52 PM
Ill have to try the surf, I just need to find some spots that aren't loaded with beach-goers. I think maybe next time we'll head up near Seal or Huntington and give that a try.

FishForFun
06-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Ill have to try the surf, I just need to find some spots that aren't loaded with beach-goers. I think maybe next time we'll head up near Seal or Huntington and give that a try.

you should fish on the surf at seal beach on the left side of the pier next to the military base. its a good place to catch some croakers. :D

servant joe
06-24-2007, 09:09 PM
Hey Sandwich,
my brother took me to San Clemente pier or to San Onofre to fish. I saw he did surf fishing. It is fun. and there is no one to mess around with you. You may try dana point if you want too. there is a jetty, you can fish on both sides and no need for liscence. the park ranger told me that. because both side of the jetty is water. There is a bait store there too. I don't remember the name of the street it is on.
I will do better next time. Enjoy fishing.
servant joe

willis949
06-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Dana Point is actually a great place to take the kids.I take my son and his friends and the parking is really close to the spot.Instead of the Jetty side you can fish on the harbor side.It has a rail to lean the poles up against and picnic tables ten feet away in a grassy area.I bring a portable barbeque and cook up hot dogs.There is a store about fifty feet away with cold drinks and alot of snacks as well as frozen bait and tackle.The parking is only $1.00 an hour.There is a group of regulars who are really cool and usually you will catch something on anchovies or squid.You get off at PCH and go right to Doheney beach.Make a left and pass the entrance to the second turn in and go left to the end.If you want to you can get lugworms at Hogans on PCH behind Carls JR and for sure you will catch something.

SanDimasLMB
06-24-2007, 11:39 PM
give Balboa another try, you were just there at the right place, but at the wrong time. Balboa only has locals and like you mentioned a$$holes during the summer