PDA

View Full Version : Mixed bag: 6/29/09

BigBass777
06-30-2009, 12:46 AM
Ooh the benefit of being unemployed!! Yeah I know what you guys are gonna say!! You get to go fishing and we work! Yep! The money is mine and not from the state anyway so don’t feel so bad. Going during the week has it’s advantages but today was a cluster of anglers. At least 45 were on board and you wonder don’t you guys work today? Others tend to take Monday off as part of a 3 day weekend vacation. Weekend day or not it was a cluster and tangles everywhere.

Went out of 22nd St Landing today for a full day trip aboard The Pursuit with my brother, guys from his work, and a few of their friends. We went to Catalina Island and fished the backside (west) for a mixed bag. No yellowtail or white sea bass were even hooked on this trip. The wind blew in all Sunday night and chilled the water 3 degrees cooler. The water temp was not given.

The weather was on the cooler side with overcast skies and clouds. The sun popped our for maybe a ˝ hour before we were blanketed with clouds for the rest of the day. We targeted those big breaks and points on the far backside of the island with kelp on them. You can’t miss them as they separate the coves. A flylined anchovy was key. We had really good size sardines but they were not the primary feed for the calico bass and sheepshead. A #1 or #2 hook tied with 12-20lb line was the ticket. Flyline the anchovy into the kelp or on the outside edge and it was clobbered. Many anglers swung and missed at a lot of fish. I had countless swing and misses. They were grabbing the bait off very easily when nose hooked. Your best bet is to tail hook the anchovy by the anal fin to get better hook sets. I used a #2 live bait Hayabusa hook on 20lb line. I caught numerous small calicos, legal ones and threw them back, plus a few small barracuda.

Bottom feeders:
The perch were attacking strips of squid on a small hook like crazy. A 2oz torpedo was plenty of weight to get it down to the bottom. A 1oz would work just as well as it was not rough with no big swells. The perch were all around and in the kelp. The jackpot fish was about a 25” halibut. The lady had a rental pole and a 1 day fishing license on. Go figure!

Barracuda:
Many flurries of small and legal size barracuda as well. I landed the first legal barracuda on board. All barracuda were caught on a live flylined anchovy. The bigger the anchovy the better. The blue/white iron was thrown by some anglers but the barracuda school wasn’t big enough to see any chasers.

Bass: Calico bass were hitting the live anchovy. Some used plastics and got a few. The plastics was getting hung in the kelp so less of them were being thrown. The calicos were small, legal and up to 4lbs. A lot of good size calicos caught.

Hilite of the day: A guy with a freshwater bass set up had it pulled from his hands and dives in after it. “Man over board”. It was classic!! He lost his prescription glasses and use of his cell phone. He used the wet money to buy his beer. Luckily his wallet wasn't lost. He did get the rod and reel back because the guy next to him caught his line and it had a fish on it. Both guys were in our group of guys. I was too busy fishing to watch the whole episode.

Nature: A pair of bald eagles was diving in the water after the chum and some dead rockfish caught. I wish I took the time to take a few pics of the action. When you’re fishing pics are secondary.

Boat Crew:

It was our first time going out of this landing and it could be our last perhaps. We caught a lot of fish but it came without service. Has anyone ever fished from this landing? What was your experience? Do the deck guy help out or just watch? Or does the crew on The Pursuit have that as a rule? Rule or not I have never ever seen this before. I felt the vibe (lazyness) as soon as I walked onto the boat. The deckhands offered no help whatsoever unless you needed a fish gaffed. They offered to tie hooks on and that’s about it. All fish caught were flung over the rail by you, hook removed by you, fish measured by you, and put into gunny sack by you. The deckhand helped me with my legal barracuda.I mean wtf!! Isn’t that part of their job? It's much more time consuming when you do everything by yourself while the fish are crashing on bait, others measuring fish before you, others moving around you as you are trying to get the hook out with pliers etc. It’s like a mound full of ants sprayed with pepper spray. Anglers and everyone everywhere. To go along with it was live bait all over the deck, smashed, stepped on by everyone, making the deck slightly slippery, as the deckhands did nothing about it. They would spray the deck after we moved. A one point the rookie deckhand took the hose and sprayed it into the air and got a bunch of us wet on the back rail. Surprised nobody was on his tail about it. It was a very unprofessional crew. Even the skipper was like we have a lot of perch down there. Ask our perch pro Mike on how to set up for perch. I don’t give a hoot about perch. You don’t pay $65.00 a person to catch perch all day. I don't get it why a skipper would be excited about catching perch all day. If I would have won the jackpot, the crew would have gotten very little. My brother mentioned he would have tipped them $10.00.

Well! It was cool to get out and fish. All the swings and misses were feeding the fish!! I caught enough to eat and the ones let go will grow to get bigger. Hope this report helps any of you going out this upcoming holiday weekend. Have a safe fishing July 4th!! Here are some pics!!

Weather: It continued from morning to the rest of the day.
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s70/Reelanglers/BigBass777/Weather.jpg
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s70/Reelanglers/BigBass777/Weather2.jpg
Areas fished: Here is what the structure or areas we fished looked like.
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s70/Reelanglers/BigBass777/AreasFished.jpg
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s70/Reelanglers/BigBass777/AreasFished1.jpg
Warms up a bit then goes away.
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s70/Reelanglers/BigBass777/SunComesOut.jpg
Today’s mixed bag: This was my first sheepshead.
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s70/Reelanglers/BigBass777/TheCatch.jpg
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s70/Reelanglers/BigBass777/TheCatch1.jpg
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s70/Reelanglers/BigBass777/TheCatch2.jpg
Scenery: The rock formations are cool.
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s70/Reelanglers/BigBass777/Scenery.jpg
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s70/Reelanglers/BigBass777/Scenery1.jpg

TShaffer
06-30-2009, 12:52 AM
Awesome man bet you had a blast!

rocknreel20
06-30-2009, 08:11 AM
Nice bag of fish !
Sorry about the service on the boat.
Some of the boats are hurting because of the economy and less passengers.
Service is one thing that you can improve on to keep clientele coming back and sustaining your business even in hard times.

lalo56
06-30-2009, 08:37 AM
Cool at least you got some fish.
This was my experience aboard The Pursuit
http://www.fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=33573
I think that even after that exp... I will give them another chance.

Thanks for sharing.

The highlight was funny. I dont think i would dive in after mine, I would just quickly yank my gf's rod and try to snag it.

victor101
06-30-2009, 09:17 AM
Cool...good report. Ive been on that boat a couple times and I agree with the crew not being very helpful but the captain puts you on the fish so it balances out a little for me.

EastCoaster
06-30-2009, 09:22 AM
I agree, service will keep you coming back.. When I did 2 charterson the Mission Belle they service was awsome. The deckhands runing around taking fish off hooks putting them in bags, when they werent doing that they were fishing and as soon as they hooked something they would find someone not having that kinda luck and let them bring the fish in. This past weekend on a different landing, I caught 4 non legal cuda and I had to take them off the hook cuz the deckhand was nowhere to be found. He watched me one time try to get my line unstuck out of the kelp!!!! WTF who does that... He could of def helped, but Ill give them another try...

Ricky-Ray
06-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Been on it a few times before and had similar results. Haven't been back on it since, and it's probably been at least 3 or 4 years now.

IMO there are much better run 3/4 day operations around where I don't have to sacrifice one for the other. The only reason I go to 22nd. St. Landing is either for the Freedom, Outrider and now Ultra since it moved from Newport.

vertical
06-30-2009, 11:46 AM
yep... i have been on quite a few trips on the pursuit and other boats but i have never seen a guy jump out of the boat to get his rod... i was in the middle of the boat at the stern and we heard the comotion and saw Mike the deckhand run over with the "ring" to get the guy out of the water... funny as hell... question is.... who gets the fish? guy looses his rod... other guy gets it back with the fish still on.... lol aside from that... the whole trip was a blast cept for the fact that there were 55+ of us in a very crowded boat. i myself opt to use the bigger dines and kept throwing them to the salad and i did get some decent size calicos and stuff from the dine...

russ88
06-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the report. I’m not a “regular” of the Pursuit but always have great experience fishing that boat. They’ve always been helpful to me. Hard working Cpt. N Crew for sure!!! Maybe its just me but I don’t mind unhooking n bagging my own fish. I know the crew can get very busy at times. Lets face it the Pursuit is very popular for a reason!!!

Ricky which 3/4 Catalina boat do you recommend? I'd like to give it a try.

Ricky-Ray
06-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the report. I’m not a “regular” of the Pursuit but always have great experience fishing that boat. They’ve always been helpful to me. Hard working Cpt. N Crew for sure!!! Maybe its just me but I don’t mind unhooking n bagging my own fish. I know the crew can get very busy at times. Lets face it the Pursuit is very popular for a reason!!!

Ricky which 3/4 Catalina boat do you recommend? I'd like to give it a try.

I don't mind unhooking my own fish and bagging it too, and it's totally understandable if it's WFO, they just can't get to everyone in time. But if it's slow they should be around to help out. At least that's the way I see it.

Some of the 3/4 day boat's that I've been on and have been treated well and will continue to give them my business are:

Coroloma - Ventura Sportfishing

Tradition - Redondo Sportfishing (At least I hope so when it starts running since it's suppose to be manned by the crew of the Spitfire when it was running out of Redondo.)

Patriot - Newport Landing

Freelance - Davey's Locker

Chubasco II - Somewhere around where Islandia Landing use to be. I haven't been on it since Islandia closed but after reading DeanHall's reports I might have to head down there again real soon.

boxl0bster
06-30-2009, 03:58 PM
nice mixed bag!! that goat is a nice kicker! :Cool:

JapanRon
06-30-2009, 05:50 PM
Hi BigBass777,

Most excellent report. Thank you very much. That boat puts anglers on fish. If that is all one wants from a boat .... I guess the Persuit is the one !!

JapanRon

NY4Reels!
06-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Hey nice report and mixed bag Dave! Very detailed as usual!

Sorry about the poor service, but by trying out different boats and landings you will find a place and boat that you will prefer to fish with.

BTW...... Get a job !!!!!!!! j/k bro!

CudaChaser
07-01-2009, 03:21 AM
Nice fishing trip out there and a good bag of grilling meat. Surprise about the crew - I guess if you are experienced salt fisher, you are pretty self sustained regarding your fish, unhooking, etc. I would worry more about any newbies on such a boat - this is where the crew really should be helping out more. Really no excuse for not hosing down the deck during moves to keep the "working area" safe. Thanks for the report and picts.

CudaChaser