PDA

View Full Version : 6/23 - Victory 3/4-day

Funjunkie74
06-24-2007, 10:06 AM
So today's report is short and...well, short.
Went out on the Victory with my boy Kev. He was telling me how his "hooky" fishing didn't quite go as well as he hoped out of Redondo on Friday. So Saturday was supposed to be revenge to a bad day of fishing.

Unfortunately, not everything turns out the way you want...The bite was just not happening.

4:15am Alarm goes off.
4:45am Out da door!
5:00am Kev calls, "dude where are you? I'm at the landing!" - Kev, I'm on the 22 Fwy...
5:15am Kev calls, "dude, are you going to make it?" - Kev, I'm STILL on the 22 fwy...they closed it down to one lane...ARGH!
5:30am Kev calls, "dude, you want me to buy your spot on the boat?" - Kev, THANK YOU!!
5:40am Kev calls, "And...where are you?" - Kev, I can see the landing...I'll be there in 5 minutes!!

--Believe it or not, during this whole traffic, running late ordeal, I never went over the speed limit!! I might have gotten there faster if I did. But if a cop pulls me over, then I definitely wouldn't have made in time. So I stayed calm and Zen-like...

6:00am Load up on the Victory.
6:20am On our way~!

Capt. Mike was at the helm, Capt. George was in the galley. Jorge was the single deckhand and there was 75+ people on board (easily 40% one-day licenses).

==Abridged version==
We moved here, we moved there, we sat in the galley, sleeping, talking, eating...WHERE ARE THE FISH!!

We would stop, we see fishy on the sonar, but just no biters...
Then he get a call that the squid are biting...so, once again, we move.

We get to the spot, the Native Sun was there already.
Since I'm not really in the mood to fish squid, I revert to cheerleader!
My boy Kev and this group of cousins were bent over on their first squids!! YEAH!! GO! GO! GO!
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/20070623/squid.jpg
Soon the Matt Walsh show up and the squid shut down...hmmm...coincidence?

So~Mike decides, it's sculpin time!
Now we're out by the rigs and on top of the sculpin grounds.
And for the next 2 1/2 hours RED/ORANGE is the only color to be seen! Kinda nice transition after staring at black from all the squid!!
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/20070623/HPIM0346.jpg

I bought this squid plastics from BPS that I never really had the chance to use. And since I knew that the sculpins were greedy eaters, if I had used squid strips, I would be seeing small babies....I hook my plastic on a jig head and try them out. GOOD CALL. Immediately I get bit and start seeing 12+ sculpins! (A good $2.50 investment!!)

Sun didn't come out until about 1pm and till then it was dark and gloomy. It really didn't make me want to take too many pictures. Sorry.

But on the way home, we had discovered the reason why fishing may have been a little slow...
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/20070623/HPIM0352.jpg

He was a lucky kid and that he didn't take off his sweatshirt till the end!! :evil:

JapanRon
06-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Hi funjunkie74,

Most excellent report. Much appreciated. I was wondering what that boat was doing these days.

Glad you guys had a shot at just about everything.

Again ...... great .... informative read.

JapanRon

Funjunkie74
06-24-2007, 08:03 PM
Arigato! JR-san!

Yeah, we had a shot but missed every target!! LOL!!

The Cajun red on bottom fishing is deadly!! The sculpin can't see it at all!! I think I was out fishing the majority at least 2:1!!

Too bad the barries never showed up! But the summer has just begun!!

FJ74 :twisted:

4g63power
06-24-2007, 09:48 PM
sorry to hear about your slow day...wow 65+ load???but at least you were out there..thanks for the report...

Funjunkie74
06-24-2007, 10:50 PM
sorry to hear about your slow day...wow 65+ load???but at least you were out there..thanks for the report...

Yeah, there were 65+ people on board.
But there was zero a-holes though!! Everyone was cool, calm and having fun!! Amazing!! I'd rather be on a boat with 65+ people like this than a 30 people limited load of a bunch of jerks anytime!!

4g, you know, slow day, WFO day, it's all the same!! At least I'm fishing!!

Glad you enjoyed the read!

FJ74

Hitts0n
06-25-2007, 07:37 AM
:thumb: Good read ! :lol:

sansou
06-25-2007, 10:53 AM
Nice pics Funjunkie!

Better luck next time!

Funjunkie74
06-25-2007, 11:08 AM
Glad you enjoyed the read! 8)

It's odd that there aren't more reports from this past weekend. There were other PB's and cattle boats out there...