PDA

View Full Version : New Member here. Had to share this story.

The Capps'
06-29-2009, 08:28 PM
Hello everyone, First off my name is Derek, Located in the Inland Empire, Enjoy pretty much any outdoor activity, especially fishing. Saltwater, freshwater, doesn't matter. I also enjoy spending time with my family (wife and two kids 4 and 3) mesh those two together and you have a family outing. So I have lurked in this forum for some time, and first got hooked reading the Striper Bill threads. I had never fished the duct until reading through many threads from this board. We had fished the duct and maybe a year and a half ago and produced some awsome gold cat's in the 4 to 5 lb range. We caught them just before the duct goes underground at Valyermo Rd in pearblossom. I had never really liked the tatse of catfish till then, Wow it was amazing! Not sure if thats what you call them (gold cats) Feel free to school me.

So this past weekend we decided to hit the duct again. This time we went in Hesperia where rancho and 11th st meet. Day started off nice, my wife pulls in a nice gold cat, he falls off right at the top of the duct, down the side he goes back in :mad:. I break a light 1-4 lb graphite rod casting a Rat trap :mad:. We land a decent cat and I tied a knot through his gill with some rope, and keep him in the water :Big Grin:. I break a 7-10 lb graphite rod doing a bait check while reeling in like 30 lbs of sea grass (Not that much but it seamed like it) :mad:. I'm flipping a rat trap and look up, My daughter decided to push the Plastic Radio Flyer down the hill, I'm in mid flip and see in coming down the duct, mind you it has ALL of my tackle in it :EyePop:. I throw the rod down and jump in after it, Luckily its plastic and it floated. It didn't get too far out before I got it:Angry:. I've got my cell phone in my pocket so it died:mad:. I get back to the top and start packing it up I figured that was enough for one day. My wife starts pulling the cat up the duct, she get it to the top and I say don't drag it into the dirt, I look away and look back and he's rolling down the duct:Shocked:. My knot came loose. What a day, but I guess like its said the worst day of fishing is better that the best day of work. On a good note, My phone started working again on Sunday:Envious:.

Figured I would share my wildest fishing story, I've never had so much go wrong in one day.

tacklejunkie
06-29-2009, 08:34 PM
Ouch!
We've all had those bad days!
Sometimes things don't always go as planned.
Best to go fishing with an open mind and high expectations anyways to help your confidence. One day, it will be your turn.

Welcome to FNN and get back up on the horse!

DccFISHerMan
06-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Sounds like a event full day

old pudd fisher
06-29-2009, 08:52 PM
Wow what a day you had! Nice post and welcome to the FNN.

exfactor
06-29-2009, 09:29 PM
wait until u get a boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
06-29-2009, 09:42 PM
wait until u get a boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol..my buddie told me there is two good days a boat owner has..the day he buys his boat and the day he sells it..oh capper, sorry to hear about the missfortune and your kid is just being a kid..it's not a total skunk is it??maybe a mjor farmage situation..

socalrippin
06-29-2009, 09:52 PM
man that sucks... you deserve a good day of fishing!

Mobydick
06-29-2009, 09:57 PM
On a good note, you came home with your family. The duct is a very dangerous place to to fish especially when you bring kids.

Indo-angler
06-29-2009, 11:52 PM
Wow!
Thanks for sharing and welcome to FNN!

just4thehalibut
06-30-2009, 05:43 AM
you know it may have been a rough day but you will have a memory with your family that will last a life time...your a lucky guy.

The Capps'
06-30-2009, 08:07 AM
On a good note, you came home with your family. The duct is a very dangerous place to to fish especially when you bring kids.

Yeah I know, We decided we probably won't be fishing the duct with the kids anymore. Or atleast till they get a bit older and managable. We were probably there for about 5 hours before the wagon inncident They haden't taken a nap, It was about 7:00 pm so I know they were getting tired. When we got in the car and headed home they were out instantly.

DarkShadow
06-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Man, we just needed some Benny Hill music to accompany visuals of this thread. :ROFL:

troutdog
06-30-2009, 10:23 AM
"Momma said there would be days like this"....sorry to hear about your misfortunes, yet you stuck it out and made the best of it....like you said it beats working! Thanks for the honest report and welcome to the board!

Thanks for your help over the phone on Sunday, finally got her in the water and slayed the fish...report coming!

TD

Troutman65
06-30-2009, 10:23 AM

:LOL:

Welcome to FNN & thanks for sharing your story. Looking forward to reading more of your fishing reports. :Big Grin::Wink: