PDA

View Full Version : fishing at rock creek

hookonthelipchris
06-29-2009, 02:13 PM
I went up to rock creek this thursday to sunday expecting to have as much fun as possible with my clothes on and to miss the fathers day crowd but I was wrong. It was beautiful up there but there was so many people packing up along the shores it was hard to catch anything. I guess they stocked that day but you wouldn't have known it. We fish for hours with powerbait and worms and got nothing untill I got bored and threw on a mini jig. I caught at least 15 nice trout but I let most of them go because I was going for bigger or native trout. My brothers threw on the mini jigs and caught a couple but then that was it. We went around the whole lake and nothing was biting. We threw thomas bouyants, Rapalas, rooster tales, mepps you name it and nothing. We even rented a boat one day and we trolled for hours with leaded line and on top and NOTHING but a couple little guys, but we did catch a nice little brook on a orange,gold Rapala though. The rest of the days we where having good luck with the native trout throwing a worm on a clear sinking bobber. Over all we caught 8 nice little browns, 4 brookies but I was dissapointed in the stocker fish. I even went to the lower owens in bishop and got nothing because it was 100 degrees and the water was muddy. I traveled up to Sabrina and got dissapointed yet again!!! Finally we had enough and went home but I was still happy just for being up their.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a347/chriscloud/P6250002.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a347/chriscloud/P6250010.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a347/chriscloud/P6260011.jpg

retired96
06-29-2009, 02:22 PM
I just came back from a week at Rock Creek, fished everywhere, the fishing was terrible no matter where I fished from Rock Creek, the lake, Upper Owens, Bridgeport area. Will post a report later... One of my worst trips in 50 years....

jim532
06-29-2009, 02:35 PM
when i was up there earlier this month the water flow on the Owens was moving pretty fast, fast enough to make it undesireable.

Probably best to go up there just before school gets out. There wasn't hardly a soul up there the weekend prior to fathers day weekend.

DCCTrouserTrout
06-29-2009, 05:47 PM
Those brookies are neat looking fish...

smokinflies
06-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Those brookies are neat looking fish...

i was just gonna say the same thing. the colors on that brookie look awesome.

it's great to see that there's still snow on the peaks.

nice job at rock creek.

it's been years since i've been there. the last time i went the lake was frozen over.

nellkev
06-30-2009, 08:02 PM
Don't complain you caught more fish than I did. I went up the first week of June for 4 days and caught 5 fish total. I've been fishing this area for over 25 years and have never seen it this bad. I wasn't sure if it was the full moon or what but it sounds like I'm not alone. It is still worth it for the bueaty alone but I'd like to know where my $41.20 is going to.