PDA

View Full Version : Drop shot line? Seagaur users get in here!

xjdesertfox
06-28-2009, 09:49 PM
I'm currently sitting in my hotel room in tucson and im driving out to fort worth early in the morning to go hit up cabelas for some stuff i want/need

I just got a new drop shot rod/reel setup today at bass pro and now i need to spool it, ive heard some great things about seagaur but only about people using it in the higher (12-15lb) test

anybody use the smaller test seagaur? im thinking about picking up 6 or 8 lbs line of the abrazx, maybe the invisx

its going to be used for dropshotting for bass and in MDR and NPH

also, any views on tungsten drop shot weights? or should i just stay with my lead ones?

tacklejunkie
06-28-2009, 10:03 PM
6lb Seaguar Invizex is niiiiiiiiiiiiice stuff. Expensive, but nice!
I don't like to use it in the salt because my line seems to get chewed up quick there. I usually hit the harbor and the surf in one trip because I live far away, and it can be harsh on my line. For the salt, I'll usually just grab a $5 spool of blue box Vanish 6lb for spinning and Ande 12 mono for casting.

I also retie after every toothy fish or every fish over 1lb in case I ever do hook a monster, so I go through line quick.
That's just me though.

I've heard good things about tungsten but don't use it on my drop shot. I lose too many d/s weights to want to care about that extra noise benefit tungsten might provide. You might benefit from the smaller size snag wise.
I do however use it in other techniques that I am learning.

lurk 182
06-28-2009, 11:45 PM
that line's awesome across all sizes but its not what i'd use for nph spotties that are structure oriented, flourocarbon is greatly weakened by any abrasion/nicks and those fish aren't line shy. i'd do eight pound Pline cxx, berkley big game, or any mono you like.

Socal Bassman
06-29-2009, 07:33 AM
Seaguar Carbon Pro all the way. I primarily use their 6lb test for dropshotting. For some reason I haven't been impressed with Invisx. Stay away from the Red Label.

xjdesertfox
06-29-2009, 08:04 AM
thanks guys, i think the solution here is to spool 6lb invizx on one spool and 8lb pline cxx on the other, i've already got the cxx so the invisx is all i would need to buy.

a biley
06-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Seaguar Invizx 8# user over here!!! I love the stuff. I have 2 reels spooled with 8, one with 10, and one with 12. I made the switch to seaguar and never used anything else since...

I am willing to spend money on that like, it's that good!

Red Fox
06-29-2009, 08:46 PM
Invisx is decent. I used it for about 2 yrs before I switched. what made me switch is that I found Invisx too "stretchy". after I tried another, less stretch line, I couldnt go back to Invisx, felt like I was fishing with rubber bands. the trade off though is that less stretch lines are typically stiffer, less manageable. so If limpness is what youre looking for, I guess Invisx is a good choice..

Liteweight
06-29-2009, 09:03 PM
I've been using Seaguar's Grand Max (flourocarbon) tippet material in my fly fishing endevours for quite a few years now. I just (this year) started to use the Invisix for my bass fishing and have been very satisfied with it. Yes it is more expensive but I believe it's more supple than the Berkley Vanish (Blue Label) that I've been using for the last 6-7 years.
I agree with some of the other members however, that it probably won't hold up to the abuse of salt water though. In the salt I've used Berkley Big Game line since it came out way back when (early 80's?). I've not found anything else that seems to be more durable and consistent (IMO), maybe with the exception of Ande.
Just my :My Two Cents:
Robert.

marc626
06-30-2009, 04:23 PM
[QUOTE=
I agree with some of the other members however, that it probably won't hold up to the abuse of salt water though.[/QUOTE]

Agree! You can use it in salt but best if it's top-shot on top of 65lb braid w/ a seagar knot. If your on a budget top-shot on top of Mono (Berk. Big Game) IMO. P.Line's not bad either. It holds up!

bsp
06-30-2009, 04:35 PM
InvisX is great for halibut on the dropshot. I have used 8lb for that, and 10lb for casting with hardbaits. I fish near boilers and kelp all the time and InvisX has failed me once. The only time it has was when I hooked a WSB a yard from kelp/boilers. No 10lb could have stopped that fish, so I consider it a great line.

Tungsten weights aren't worth it in the salt. The price is too expensive for an item that you generally will go through 2 or 3 of in a trip.

xjdesertfox
06-30-2009, 05:16 PM
i probably should have mentioned that im using it for freshwater as well, not just in the salt, but i went ahead and picked up some 6 lbs invisx for the freshies and 8 lbs cxx for the salt, good thing i have 3 spools for this reel =)