PDA

View Full Version : Bluegill/Redear recipe

bassman17
06-24-2007, 12:31 AM
If you can catch some bigger than your hand, the filets off the back are the size of a fishstick....so get yourself a few fishsticks and try this.

beat an egg in a bowl and set it aside
pour about a 1/2 cup of Progresso italian style bread crumbs on a plate
put about a 1/2 inch of oil in a frying pan, bring to a boil and lower alittle.
Dip the fish into the egg on both sides.
Dip the fish into the breadcumbs on both sides and make sue they are fully caked all around.
put 'em in to the frying pan wait till theyre golden brown on one side, flip 'em over, finish cooking them.
Put in corn totilla with cabbage and what not...Best fish tacos ever.

tacklejunkie
08-09-2007, 03:09 PM
Yeah dude, big bluegill/readear/green sunfish are tasty!

I put the fillets on a sheet of foil, then sprinkle some lemon pepper, garlic powder and a fresh squeezed lemon.

Cook in the oven on broil for 7 minutes. Pull them out, add a drop of hot sauce and eat! You don't even have to flip them half way through cooking.

When I compare several other types of fish prepared this way, bluegill is definatley my favorite. Honestly, the best fish I've ever eaten in my opinion.
You gotta get the big ones though.

Fisher-of-Men
09-27-2007, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the recipe! I don't see too many Bluegil post. :thumb:

Fisher-of-Men

sansou
09-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the recipe Bassman17!

The last time I ever ate panfish (monster bluegill & crappie) was years ago in AZ (we caught them at Saguaro Lake). My friend cooked them using crushed spicy Dorito's as the breadcrumbs. Basically the same recipe as yours except for Progresso crumbs, he used the spicy potato chips. I think Frito's work fine as well.

Wingnut
09-27-2007, 06:49 PM
Bluegills are DA BOMB! Yummy!

Sparky70
09-28-2007, 09:41 PM
Try this for Bluegill...........
flour
egg wash
Panco (Japanese bread crumbs)
Deep fry until golden brown.............THEN EAT..............