PDA

View Full Version : need help deciding which color ika?

bassman858
06-28-2009, 04:05 PM
which color do you guys know that works best in so cal lakes(DVL,SKINNER ETC...)? what size hook? and i am thinking about picking up a spool of 12lb Abrazx, what do you guys think? i just wanted to know which color work because i never use ikas before. any tips on how to use the iks? btw i am going to DVL this weekend. thanks...

shrekcbo
06-28-2009, 04:55 PM
i use green pumpkin or watermelon with a jig head and fish it like a fluke

socal_jeff
06-28-2009, 06:46 PM
you should get watermelon with red and black flakes and texas rig it weightless with the tentacles upwards and make sure you get a 4/0 off shank this techniques works good for skinner because i have caught nice size fish off the shoreline when i throw in the weeds or along the tullis

tacklejunkie
06-28-2009, 06:51 PM
Color can depend on the body of water and conditions but..
Watermelon with black and gold flakes.
I do pretty good on those just about any way I fish them on several bodies of water.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/watermelonblackgold.jpg
The double tail hula grub in similar colors works good too but I think it's a bit smaller in profile.

CAPT'N
06-28-2009, 07:32 PM
I agree, the watermelon blk flake is my go to for LMB. Iuse a 4/0 to a 6/0.offset and hook it weedless. I usually rig them tentacles up, but have caught lots of bass both ways.

Capt'n

DarkShadow
06-28-2009, 09:21 PM
...and fish it like a fluke

Further proof that the ways to fish an Ika is infinite!

Such a versatile bait.

That Dang Guy
06-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Watermelon blk and baby bass are my go to colors.

JediMindTricks
06-28-2009, 10:41 PM
green pumpkin all the way. weightless. 3/0 hook.
watermelon is my second choice. those two colors will work in almost any water, the other colors will work, but at a time and place.

HEMAN
06-28-2009, 11:50 PM
green + any flake generally... and black + any flake for nights

fishntime
06-29-2009, 03:16 AM
Not trying to jump on anyones bandwagon but, TJ nailed it on the head. Just use a 4/0 Gamakatsu hook. It seems to me that watermelon is the go to color.

cappo
06-29-2009, 09:05 AM
Do you guys rig them with the hook facing towards or away from the skirt?

tacklejunkie
06-29-2009, 09:35 AM
They work any way you rig them Cappo.
Throw them near cover or drag it along the bottom. Can't go wrong mang.
My pictures and hook sizes and placement aren't exact, but you get the idea.
I think most of the time the idea is to get the tentacle pointed up and towards a fish, to make it look like a crawdad in a defensive position. A "P.O.'d crawdad" if you will.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/ikarigging.jpg

fishmounter
06-29-2009, 05:56 PM
Chartreuse/shad for stained water, rigged either way. Just found out it is an awesome color for Largemouth Bass! I don't know what it looks like in this bright color, but the bass sure hammer it! I have been using this in the harbors for saltwater bass for a couple of years, but just recently tried it in local ponds.