PDA

View Full Version : Pre Potluck Luck @ Fairmount 6-28

tacklejunkie
06-28-2009, 02:46 PM
Got a PM from Skyler the other day about a shindig going down at Fairmount.
Had to fix my reel and do a few things so I didn't think I would make it. Managed to snake free for a few hours and get the reel fixed so thought I'd go try it out.

Made it down to Fairmount about 9:15 or so and found Skyler fishing the small pond on his fly rod. First thing he says is "Dude my rod broke!" He then holds up a brand spankin' new fly combo broken in two! :Shocked: I woulda been peeved but he shooked it off quick and grab his bassin' spin combo. I was digging his new combo and trippin out on the braid. Homie horsed up some weighty palm frawns that were probably there before I was born. Would have lost my own rig in the same situation for sure and think I did a few times. :LOL:

No luck at the small pond so I suggested a move to where I've caught before. Half way there we can see the gills all over so things were looking up. I knew the bass would be sitting right outside the gills in the cover waiting for escapees and forgetful baitfish. When I do get them here, I get them right off shore.

The usual worm doesn't seem to do the dance for me here no matter how I work it. Baitfish imitations are being thrown all around me all day. I had to show them something different or I wasn't going to get bit. We got to the spot, or a few spots before it, and I cast out the magic bait. twitch twitch pause. twitch twitch pause. You know the drill. Thump thump slurp!
Gave it 2 feet of slack, waited for the fish to move out and swung for the moon. Saw color right away and a smile came to my face.

Reel and rod worked like a champ and the drag let me horse the fish around the cover without busting him off while I tired him out. Skyler jumped in and landed the fish for me since I was loaded with a 3rd grip and second rod and daypack. Pic don't look like much but I'm pushing it's belly in how I'm holding it. It was a w-i-d-e fish too! :LOL:
Prolly about 3lbs. Pics do it no justice as usual.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/Fairmount%20%206-28-09/IMG_0121.jpg

You can kinda see it's fat belly from this angle..
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/Fairmount%20%206-28-09/IMG_0122.jpg

Not much but I've been here like 20 times and only hooked 3 bass so I was kinda excited about it. Caught and released, like always.

We tried a bunch more other similar baits and some not so similar at all.
I gave Skyler my magic trimmed bait for next time. He's still there now at the potluck and if I know him, he always gets on a fish! I'm sure he'll get something. Looking forward to hear how the rest of the potluck turned out. Sorry to see the broken rod too Skyler! Get that sucker replaced and we'll go test it out again. I'll bring mine next time as well. Those gills are asking for ripped lips.

We saw tons of gills, fat red ear turtles, bass, way cool little arowanas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arowana) swimming all over busting the surface and even a huge white and gold coy! All in two hours at Fairmount. Not bad. Not bad at all..

Hope you are all having a good time out there today.
Thanks for reading.
-TJ

joebass
06-28-2009, 03:39 PM
good job t/j. nada for be on the cats.you and basslady are the only two i heard of caching anything. they need to stock that place.but got to meet alot of the "site" fisher people there so that was cool.FACES BEHIND THE NAMES. PEACE EVERYONE

old pudd fisher
06-28-2009, 04:39 PM
I was thier today and seen one of those Arowana fish as you call it, looked like a small eel.

TShaffer
06-28-2009, 09:46 PM
Arowanas! Holy crap how did those get in there. Those must be wierd to see. Nice bass.

Skyler
06-29-2009, 09:17 AM
Yeah, that little chunk sure put up a good fight. They seem pretty well-fed there. Trip out on those amazonian fish too! I wonder what arrowana's eat?

Skyler
06-29-2009, 09:24 AM
As for the rod, I went to exchange it last night, and they still had one in stock. However, it had damage to the blank as well. I ended up just swaping the kit out for a nicer Okuma fly reel with disc drag. I only really got that combo 'cause I needed a new reel for my 5 footer. The new rod was just a bonus. But I guess when you buy cheap, you often buy twice. Figure I'm better off with the all-aluminum Okuma Sierra, and I'll just pick up a cheap 8 foot 5 weight when one catches my eye...

http://www.4fishin.com/images/okuma_sierra.jpg

smokinflies
06-29-2009, 09:31 AM
As for the rod, I went to exchange it last night, and they still had one in stock. However, it had damage to the blank as well. I ended up just swaping the kit out for a nicer Okuma fly reel with disc drag. I only really got that combo 'cause I needed a new reel for my 5 footer. The new rod was just a bonus. But I guess when you buy cheap, you often buy twice. Figure I'm better off with the all-aluminum Okuma Sierra, and I'll just pick up a cheap 8 foot 5 weight when one catches my eye...

http://www.4fishin.com/images/okuma_sierra.jpg

wow that looks like a nice reel.

if your looking for a decent fly rod for cheap, try big 5. i picked up an 8.5ft 6-7wt Crystal River CaHill rod for 17 bucks. works great with 5wt line, and is super light.

sorry about the threadjack junkie. that's a nice catch got got there. my primo and i will be hitting up that lake soon.

SkunkyZach
06-29-2009, 09:48 AM
nice catch, TackleJunkie.... Pretty much everyone got skunked except you and BassLady:Angry: Oh wait, I caught one, it was called a buzz. lol

Skyler
06-29-2009, 10:00 AM
wow that looks like a nice reel.

if your looking for a decent fly rod for cheap, try big 5. i picked up an 8.5ft 6-7wt Crystal River CaHill rod for 17 bucks. works great with 5wt line, and is super light.

sorry about the threadjack junkie. that's a nice catch got got there. my primo and i will be hitting up that lake soon.

Thanks for the tip. I'm a bit leary of crystal river rods now. The one that broke yesterday was made by them. But I may check it out and see. If it breaks, I can always return it.

tacklejunkie
06-29-2009, 10:04 AM
Skyler,
That's a nice reel. I sold mine to Cappo a while back and regretted it. lol.
You might also check out those scientific angler's rods at sport chalet by your pad. my 8.5' 5wt two piece ran me up like $30-$35 bones there.
I'll send you a PM tonight and maybe we can hook up this week for a run at some feesh.

That fish sure looked larger in real life ey? He was pretty wide and I stuck my thumb in his gut so we jacked the pics :LOL: We shoulda got a front shot and stuck his mug in the camera to show how wide he was. Little chunk for sure.

Smokin':
No worries about jackin' my threads bro. I'm the king of off topic so it doesn't bug me :LOL: Bring your best game when you hit Fairmount dude. That place is waaay tough for bass. I've hit it like 20 times and only caught fish two times of those 20. A great place to give yourself a challenge! Let me know when you guys decide to head down and I may be able to meet you out there for a few hours.

Oh wait, I caught one, it was called a buzz. lol
Haha! Always better than nothing! Next time you'll be on 'em. That place is just notoriously tough as nails!

smokinflies
06-29-2009, 10:22 AM
i'll shoot you a pm when a head out there. most likely it will be sometime after the 4th.