PDA

View Full Version : Duct Luck And More

yolo
06-28-2009, 11:30 AM
Hit the duct in Palmdale this morning for a little bit and water was wide open. Lots of weeds of course but still fishable. I throw everything in the box at em and nothing but weeds. Many of the weed snags felt like hits so it gets you excited but within a second you know it's not a fish. The last lure I threw was the LC pointer and I get what feels like hit and I set the hooks. I'm like another weed patch. But wait, this thing is moving slightly. It can't be a weed patch but it is also not fighting or pulling drag at all. I keep reeling and it's a catfish that I snagged with the LC. I snagged him good too with both hooks. One on the back and one on the side/belly. It was bleeding too. I take a pic, unhook it and set him back int he water. It took right off. That's pretty wild because I have never snagged a fish in the duct before. Kinda lucky but it seems to have ended with that as there were no stripers willing to play.

Check out the California kingsnake I came across in one of the pics.

I was also in a exploration mood so I took a dirt road and dead ended at these 2 ponds. Saw 2 goldfish in there and some tiny fry. Threw my LC but it was full of weeds and very shallow (maybe 18" deep). Water was crystal clear. I don't know if it has any gills or LMB but I didn't have the right tackle for these little ponds.

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%206-28-09/IMG_3193.jpg

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%206-28-09/IMG_3191.jpg

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%206-28-09/IMG_3201.jpg

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%206-28-09/IMG_3202.jpg

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%206-28-09/IMG_3196.jpg

Liteweight
06-28-2009, 06:59 PM
I hear that the Duct can be more finicky at times than some of the lakes.
Gate were open, and no fish...odd? I hear usually when the gates are open and the waters' movin', it's some good fishing. What time were you out there? Or does it really matter?.
I'm sure you'll get 'em.
Robert.

yolo
06-28-2009, 09:25 PM
I was out there in the morning. Water moving is good but it has been wide open for weeks imo. That is not so good because of the dislodged weeds and debris that is in the whole water column. It has gotten better than when they initially started running it wide open but still tough to fish. The bait soakers are probably having a worse time with it. It's like pulling in Sigmund The Sea Monster, lol. Anyone remember that thing from that show? It's a perfect visual actually if you google it.

SkipperDick
06-28-2009, 11:19 PM
Nice snag there Zoli! Are those the ponds you mentioned to me the other morning? Ed and I stopped at one more place before we headed back home. Just the Ol' Skunkeroo for us I'm afraid. It was good to see you again Brother. Peace!

SkipperDick

yolo
06-29-2009, 05:40 AM
Yes that's them.

RamboBoy
06-29-2009, 06:12 AM
Nice snagging on kittie, lol

beat the skunko

gletemfeelsteelgary
06-29-2009, 12:40 PM
Hookup !....any hookup is better than no hookup !

I've never snagged anything there either, thats wierd !

As you state, that heavy flowing current is hell to fish, it takes serious adaptation on your attack.

I've secretly hoped for less flow but I havnt seen it but I've only been out a couple times recently.

It's funny, we all kept wanting flow when the water was dead, then it happens and it's too much.

I think if the gates were at 1/2 we'd find things much easier to fish.

Above and beyond the algae and moss flowing through all water collums, that extreme current makes things real difficult to retain proper strike depth consistently.

The few times out recently I've experience the gates at about 3/4 (or slightly more) then opening up full, even 3/4 is flowin extremely fast but the fish are active but getting a lasting presentation to them is the greatest challenge...many many casts many many rapid retrieves with algae on the line... ='s low percentage of the possibility of a hookup !

Congrats on the kitty, at least no skunk for you : )

P.S.
I know you realize most of the things I mentioned here, I just mention them so others can get a better picture of the conditions !

This is fishing....take the good with the bad ....hopefully conditions will change !

I'm sure you'll get 'em next time out !
Gary

yolo
06-29-2009, 01:06 PM
Hookup !....any hookup is better than no hookup !

I've never snagged anything there either, thats wierd !

As you state, that heavy flowing current is hell to fish, it takes serious adaptation on your attack.

I've secretly hoped for less flow but I havnt seen it but I've only been out a couple times recently.

It's funny, we all kept wanting flow when the water was dead, then it happens and it's too much.

I think if the gates were at 1/2 we'd find things much easier to fish.

Above and beyond the algae and moss flowing through all water collums, that extreme current makes things real difficult to retain proper strike depth consistently.

The few times out recently I've experience the gates at about 3/4 (or slightly more) then opening up full, even 3/4 is flowin extremely fast but the fish are active but getting a lasting presentation to them is the greatest challenge...many many casts many many rapid retrieves with algae on the line... ='s low percentage of the possibility of a hookup !

Congrats on the kitty, at least no skunk for you : )

P.S.
I know you realize most of the things I mentioned here, I just mention them so others can get a better picture of the conditions !

This is fishing....take the good with the bad ....hopefully conditions will change !

I'm sure you'll get 'em next time out !
Gary

No kidding. So much for 30% reduced flow from already reduced last year. I guess people outweigh the smelt? I have been fishing the duct for decades and don't recall ever having such high flow for so long. It would fluctuate from 1/4 to full and in between but 3/4 to wfo has been the way for several weeks.

Actually some spots are better than others as far as debris goes. I have noticed that the farther north/west you go the less debris. The wider, shallower sections in the middle to east (of Palmdale)have more debris than the narrower and deeper sections to the west/north. That has been my observation.

The more info the better. I don't mind it put in my posts. Check your pm.