PDA

View Full Version : WFO @ LB and by-catch report

Gossamer
06-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Went to LB this morning, got to the sand around 6:30. Started slow at first than went crazy wide open. It was definitely one of the best days I have ever had. At one point I went 5 for 5. I even got 1 new species today. First two that I got were black trash bags, third was a green Doritos bag(new species), than two white ones right after. All trash bags released into the garbage can so they can get back into our oceans to be caught another day. All trash bags were not harmed....

Here is my by-catch. went 23 big enough to be called bbq.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii176/phishface_01/downsized_0628090708.jpg

socalfish
06-28-2009, 04:12 PM
nice fish! and very funny! lol

Loye
06-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Halibut caught out of LB,you sure those are safe to eat ?

joebass
06-28-2009, 05:59 PM
as good as it sounds i think i would pass on eating it.

fish_sauce
06-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Good job out there bro!

So when is the BBQ?! :Wink::Food:

Andrew

JSAUCE818
06-28-2009, 09:45 PM
Nice catch,...careful though,...im sure fishstix can chime in on this one, he had quite a surprise when he took home a lb butt home and found worms in it ***gags***

DarkShadow
06-29-2009, 08:42 AM
he had quite a surprise when he took home a lb butt home and found worms in it ...

That just gives it extra flavor.

sonarbp
06-29-2009, 09:11 AM
Nice catch,...careful though,...im sure fishstix can chime in on this one, he had quite a surprise when he took home a lb butt home and found worms in it ***gags***

Just to let you know.....if a halibut is not cleaned in a timely manner after being caught and kept it will have worms in the flesh. Almost all halibut will have worms, they will be primarily located in the gut area of the filets. Upon death of the fish the worms will migrate from the gut to the flesh. Thourough cooking will render them harmless.

sonarbp

JSAUCE818
06-29-2009, 11:53 AM
Just to let you know.....if a halibut is not cleaned in a timely manner after being caught and kept it will have worms in the flesh. Almost all halibut will have worms, they will be primarily located in the gut area of the filets. Upon death of the fish the worms will migrate from the gut to the flesh. Thourough cooking will render them harmless.

sonarbp
thanks for the info! never knew that.:Cool:

Hog Caller
06-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Yuuuuummmm!
Curly flavor enhanchers...lol

That Dang Guy
06-29-2009, 12:17 PM
It would be ideal to fillet your fish soon after you catch it, but becareful when filleting halibut when you're not at home. There are strict regulations on how the fish must be filleted and fillet length that may cause problems if you're checked by the DFG on the way to your car or what not.

Follow these simple rules:
1. Each side of the fish must be filleted in one piece with the skin on. Some people fillet a halibut into 4 pieces by cutting down the lateral line. One half of one side tends to be shorter than the other. So they require it to be in once piece.

2. Each filleted side must be 16 3/4'' long. If you're not careful, you're barely legal halibut will turn into a barely short fillet.

To resolve all these problems. Fillet and clean the halibut but don't detach it from the fish. Keep it attached at the base of the tail and finish it at home.

Gossamer
06-29-2009, 04:44 PM
Yeah I don't usually take home my catch but my freinds wanted to bbq some fish. LB hali's ain't bad, with the extra fingers I am growing it helps me type faster when I am on FN......I am hoping I will grow a prehensile tail next, so I can light a smoke, throw my Lucky Craft, and reel in all at the same time....:OMG!:

Jimmy310
07-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Greed Doritos mmmmmmmmmmmm
my favorite

megafisher94
07-06-2009, 09:12 AM
u should have kept the others for the bbq... halibut with plastique dressing...lol

socalrippin
07-06-2009, 10:46 AM
cool lookin flatty!!!

MAVERICK27
07-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Great read! Thanks for the input. I just filleted and cooked my first legal butt this year Sunday night out of NPH. Been a while, so I had to look up a tutorial again. I put it on ice until I got home and immediately cleaned, filleted and ate it. I found this, for what its worth..

http://www.getbentsportfishing.com/helpful/tips-and-tricks/cleaning-halibut/