PDA

View Full Version : Tioga/Ellery/Saddlebag???

chappy23us
06-26-2009, 05:32 PM
Heading up to the Sierras the 4th of July weekend with the family and are camping at Convict. We usually fish Convict, George, Mary or Rock creek Lake with good success but I am looking to try a couple of different spots. I was thinking of heading up and trying Tioga, Ellery, Saddlebag or maybe even Virginia. I have not seen many reports about this places posted. Anybody familiar with these waters and are they worth the drive? Thanks

xxwake4lifexx
06-26-2009, 07:50 PM
I remember Saddlebag from when my dad and I went up there when I was younger. All I remember is the road was so scary lol.

DogKnot
06-26-2009, 09:30 PM
I was just up in the Sierras last week and tried Lundy and Big Virginia Lakes and the drives are well worth it Kundy being bigger and virnia was Just loaded with beautiful bookies attached a link with some pics Have not been up to the Tioga Pass lakes thats next time

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=34999

Dk

Rubble
06-26-2009, 11:11 PM
Any place in the E.Sierras that you haven't seen is worth the drive......

And those places are well worth it just to see the Eastern portal to Yosemite,and they're all very fishy.....
Lee Vining creek & Bridgeport lakes are worth a look too....Good Luck....!!!!...:Envious:

seal
06-27-2009, 09:41 AM
At Saddlebag you can take the water taxi out to the inlet and then hike the lake loop trail for Goldens or just fish back by the inlet. Ellery and the creek that runs into it fish real well for stockers and we have even caught a golden out of that creek once, surprised us!

jmurillo74
06-27-2009, 11:26 AM
I always have luck at Saddlebag. Rent a boat and head for the springs that flow down the mountain into the lake (directly across from boat dock). Tons of brookies in that lake. Last time I was there, water level was way low, but fishing was still good. That was 2 years ago. Good food at store.

RoastedBlueGill
06-27-2009, 01:32 PM
we've fished the three, i especially like using the fly and a bubble rig in either tioga or ellery. in saddlebag, sometimes you can reach the center channel in front of the dam, from the shoreline closest to the road, it is really good, and drops off pretty good. the fish like to hang out on the edge here.

greg
06-27-2009, 05:18 PM
I've had great fishing at Saddlebag either using a tube jig (perch color) or jigging a power worm behind a bubble.

Also, catching the water taxi and hiking the 20 lake basin is awesome! Brooks, goldens, rainbows, browns and cutts can all be caught on this hike!!!

Jester
06-27-2009, 11:03 PM
I love saddlebag. I have not been there since the Steenersons owned the taxi service in the late 80's but is was a cool lake. I had great luck back then on a small copper and red Super Duper.

chappy23us
06-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I have not decide which lakes to fish yet but I will post a report when we get back.