PDA

View Full Version : need help with buena vista

dodgerfan
06-26-2009, 03:42 AM
im going camping at buena vista in bakersfield for a few days. have a campsite on the lake. some info on spots and or techniques would be greatly appreciated guys. ive never caught any fish of any size out of the skiing lake...what is the secret? ive heard of stripers every once in a while coming out of there is it worth targeting them???

trail blazer
06-27-2009, 02:16 PM
There is some<STRIPERS> in there but not enough to target them,,,,,,Ive caught tons of kittys,<CHANNELS and BLUES> from the campground over the last 30 yrs,,,
i always try for spots # 30ish to 45 ish WATERFRONT

Caught most of them on SHAD,,,fresh out of the lake or frozen
Usually tons of dinks to be had on N,CRALLERS or regular ole HOTDOGS cut into little 1/2 inch peices and fished on size 6 trebble hook splitshot rig style.

ALSO
they have been planting the little lake<EVANS> with 1 to 4lb catfish and for a fee you can try for them .

IF YOU HAVE A BOAT WITH A F,FINDER,,,,,there is a channel that runs just off the west side of all the islands and gets deaper and deeper as it flows south towards the old river channel where the 2 lakes are seperated.
Find the sharpest turn in the channel that you can find and soak some bait right at the bottom corner of the channel,,,,,6 yrs ago i used this tactic to boat 6 blues with a total wt of 116 lbs ,,,BEST DAY EVER FOR ME FOR CATFISH.

Any biguns that are caught out there are usually caught at sunup or sundown.

Hope this helps
TRAIL BLAZER.

what days are you going to be out there??

Skaguy04
06-27-2009, 03:00 PM
FYI it is going to be hot out here...

Next couple of days it going to be over 100.

dodgerfan
06-27-2009, 03:07 PM
thanks for the info trailblazer. i have caught literally 5-6 inchers on almost every cast but never anything for size. we are talking over 300 dinks with no keepers. im dunking crawlers, dough baits, and chovies. what am i doing wrong??

trail blazer
06-27-2009, 05:47 PM
thanks for the info trailblazer. i have caught literally 5-6 inchers on almost every cast but never anything for size. we are talking over 300 dinks with no keepers. im dunking crawlers, dough baits, and chovies. what am i doing wrong??

cast farther out and use whole shad..
youl still get alot of dink hits though,,,,when a decent cat hits,you wont have to worry abought setting the hook.

Always good to remember that that lake has put out blues over 80 lbs

not verry often though ,,but they are in there

cutbait
06-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Like TB said, fish the small lake {evans} use either shad, or sardines. Fish by the grates that separate the two lakes! Cast as far as you can and plan on drinking lots of water.

nismotech91
06-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Mac heads FTW!