PDA

View Full Version : NPH Dock 6/25

jle714
06-25-2009, 11:00 PM
Took my daughter and buddy fishing for the first time. I haven't done much fishing of late myself but had the itch. Took him to a public dock and fished from 5pm to 8pm. We used swimbait and caught some spottes and a WSB. My daughter caught a stingray on cut anchovy.

We had a good time and I am planning to do more onfoot outings and some skiffing in the near future :-)

I've been a long time reader... you guys are great on the board!!! Thank you for all your reports and insight. I owe alot to you all.

12" Spottie
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc300/jle714/IMG00104.jpg

Baby WSB
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc300/jle714/IMG00106.jpg

Sting ray (my daughter's first fish ever!)
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc300/jle714/IMG00107.jpg

ghetto dad
06-25-2009, 11:16 PM
Nice job with your daughter...she looks like shes having a LOT of fun!!

GD

fisheraces
06-26-2009, 07:51 AM
correct me if I am wrong but the picture doesn't look like a white sea bass. Maybe a tomcod. Great job anyway out there with your girl. Thumbs way up!!!!

jle714
06-26-2009, 08:40 AM
correct me if I am wrong but the picture doesn't look like a white sea bass. Maybe a tomcod. Great job anyway out there with your girl. Thumbs way up!!!!

I'm actually not sure...there wa a couple also fishing on the docks and he ID it as a WSB...*shrug* Anyone else can ID?

Evilone
06-26-2009, 08:55 AM

Queenfish not WSB http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/mspcont3.asp

Marine Sportfish Identification: CroakersCalifornia Corbina | Queenfish | Spotfin Croaker | White Croaker | White Seabass | Yellowfin Croaker

Queenfish
(click me)

Family: Sciaenidae (Croakers)

Genus and Species: Seriphus politus

Description: The body of the queenfish is elongate and moderately compressed. The head is compressed with the upper profile depressed over the eyes. The mouth is large. The color is bluish above becoming silvery below and the fins are yellowish. Queenfish can be distinguished from other croakers by their large mouth, the base of the second dorsal and anal fins being about equal, and the wide space between the two dorsal fins.

Range: Queenfish occur from Uncle Sam Bank, Baja California, to Yaquina Bay, Oregon. They are common during summer in shallow water around pier pilings on sandy bottoms. They are found at depths up to 180 feet; however, occur more often from 4 to 27 feet. Queenfish are common in southern California, but are rare north of Monterey, California.

Natural History: Queenfish feed on small, free swimming crustaceans, small crabs, and fishes. Adult queenfish spawn in the summer. The eggs are free floating. Tiny young queenfish, less than 1 inch long, appear in late summer and fall; first at depths of 20 to 30 feet, gradually moving shoreward until they enter the surf zone when 1 to 3 inches long.

Fishing Information: Queenfish may be caught using live anchovies as bait. They are quite often the most commonly caught fish by anglers from piers.

Other Common Names: herring, kingfish, herring croaker, shiner.

Largest Recorded: 12 inches; no weight recorded.

Habitat: Shallow Sandy Environment

jle714
06-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Thank you!!

Queenfish not WSB http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/mspcont3.asp

Marine Sportfish Identification: CroakersCalifornia Corbina | Queenfish | Spotfin Croaker | White Croaker | White Seabass | Yellowfin Croaker

Queenfish
(click me)

Family: Sciaenidae (Croakers)

Genus and Species: Seriphus politus

Description: The body of the queenfish is elongate and moderately compressed. The head is compressed with the upper profile depressed over the eyes. The mouth is large. The color is bluish above becoming silvery below and the fins are yellowish. Queenfish can be distinguished from other croakers by their large mouth, the base of the second dorsal and anal fins being about equal, and the wide space between the two dorsal fins.

Range: Queenfish occur from Uncle Sam Bank, Baja California, to Yaquina Bay, Oregon. They are common during summer in shallow water around pier pilings on sandy bottoms. They are found at depths up to 180 feet; however, occur more often from 4 to 27 feet. Queenfish are common in southern California, but are rare north of Monterey, California.

Natural History: Queenfish feed on small, free swimming crustaceans, small crabs, and fishes. Adult queenfish spawn in the summer. The eggs are free floating. Tiny young queenfish, less than 1 inch long, appear in late summer and fall; first at depths of 20 to 30 feet, gradually moving shoreward until they enter the surf zone when 1 to 3 inches long.

Fishing Information: Queenfish may be caught using live anchovies as bait. They are quite often the most commonly caught fish by anglers from piers.

Other Common Names: herring, kingfish, herring croaker, shiner.

Largest Recorded: 12 inches; no weight recorded.

Habitat: Shallow Sandy Environment

ryryk
06-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Nice job out there. I saw a few docks when I was there tuesday n it looked PACKED how was it when u were there?

jle714
06-26-2009, 10:15 AM
Nice job out there. I saw a few docks when I was there tuesday n it looked PACKED how was it when u were there?

Just another young couple on lawn chairs with 4 poles. They were pretty nice though. They left about an hour later so it was just us for the next 2 hours.

CudaChaser
06-26-2009, 10:42 AM
It is always great to see a kid catch their first fish and the next and the next - a future fishing fanatic. Nice spot. Thanks for sharing.

CudaChaser

BRING IT
06-26-2009, 12:46 PM
FISHING WITH YOUR KIDS & SEEING THEM SMILE PRICELESS. WAY 2 GO:Dancing Banana: