PDA

View Full Version : Moraga & Napa

LearningToFish
06-25-2009, 11:59 AM
I will be taking a trip to San Francisco with my wife over July 4th Weekend. I'll be staying in with my in-laws in Moraga and also do a trip to Napa with my wife. Can anyone help me with suggestions to where I can fish when I'm staying at those places? Thanks!

HelloBendo420
06-25-2009, 07:02 PM
i don't know anything about the fishing up there. does russian river valley actually have a river w/ fish in it?? trout fishing and pinot noir...doesn't get much better than that.

tacklejunkie
06-26-2009, 07:00 AM
Use to have a buddy who lived in Moraga!

Try fishing Lake Chabot!
Also, there is a big area with water in it in the hills behind Moraga.
I don't know what it is, what kind of fish are in there or if it's legal to fish, but I've seen it! It's huge! There's a stream back there too but I think it's illegal to fish or protected watershed.

Used to race my hondas through the Moraga/Berkley hills every night when I lived in Alameda! Memories!

tacklejunkie
06-26-2009, 07:05 AM
Napa is kinda far from Moraga. Up north of Frisco on the 101 I believe.
You should be all around the bay and might be able to get some fishing in around there! You can fish on Alameda island, Berkley Marina and the SF bay etc on your way over the bridge into Frisco and then on to Napa.

Just some ideas. Alameda has closed a navy base with a big rocky parking area that I used to see people fishing at in the bay. I wish I fished when I lived up there to help you more! Lots of places to fish in the bay though! You should be able to find something!

troutasaurus
06-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Putah Creek is a good stream to fish in the Napa area for trout (the area below the Monticello Dam. Monticello Dam forms Lake Berryessa). I'm not sure if they are still stocking it but it has large wild trout in it as well. The Russian River in the Alexander Valley has good smallmouth bass fishing. Lake Berryessa is a good lake but you'll need a guide or a boat. Clear Lake is a long drive option.

Poxy Boggards
06-26-2009, 11:44 AM
San Pablo Reservoir is very close to Moraga, and has some good trout/bass/catfish action.

There are a ton of places to fish the salt up there. I like fishing in Crockett/Port Costa at Eckley Pier, you can get into some good striper action out there as well as Sturgeon which are native to the area. I've seen a couple of really nice fish taken of that pier. Alot of sharks and king fish there as well. Make sure to ge the info on limits and fish lengths casue they are much different up there.

If your into a more natural beatiful scenery, check out Putah Creek. I believe that in the summer it is open to bait fishermen, but it is a great place to fly fish, or fish with Salmon Eggs.

So many places to fish up there it is not even funny.

If you want to go out on a sport fisihng boat, I recommend the Morning Star. Great Captain and Deck Hand who have been fishing the SF/San Pablo Bay since I was a little kid. Good guys all around!

Poxy Boggards
06-26-2009, 11:49 AM
You could also hit up Martinez Marina Pier for non stop dink striper action.

Go Out onto the Pier to the right, and fish in towards the boats with a bobber about 3 feet above a baitkeeper hook with some cut chovies. Great fun on light weight gear.

Try off the rocks to the left and before the pier with surf fishing gear for the larger model stripers.

HelloBendo420
06-30-2009, 10:13 PM
okay...breakfast in healdsburg, the some pinot, and during the tasting don't forget to ask where to fish.
can't go wrong with this plan