PDA

View Full Version : Needs help with hooks

servant joe
06-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Hats off to you all, gentlemen :P
I am new to fresh water. I have been reading the report here at FNN and so excited about fishing. I have 2 shimano rods with daiwas reels-one has 6lbs line and the other has 3 lbs line. I have fished at silverwoods lake with my 7 year old son and caught about 20 schoolies-stripers. Now I want to fish in salt water too. Please help me with the following questions?
1. What size of hooks do I need when I go to the beach to fish of the pier or jetty?
2. SHould I use live bait or fake one? Live bait-what do i use? Fake one-what do I use?
3. What is a good set up of salt water tackle? I went to a local turner in inland empire and asked them questions, but they seemed not wanting to show :?:
4. What is the surf fishing and deep fishing of the pier or the jetty?
5. How do I read the tide? When is a good tide to fish?
6. I am off this whole month and want to go fishing with my son? Where should I go?
Thanks a lot gentlemen,
servantjoe

greg
06-23-2007, 10:17 PM
Let’s go surf fishing. A light 6-7 foot rod with a fast action tip with a spinning reel spooled with 6 pound test. Combine this with a Carolina rigged set up. the Carolina rigged set up is: ½ ounce egg sinker then a glass bead (I like red) then a 2 way swivel, then tie an 18-24 inch fluorocarbon leader to the swivel and the other end, a size 6-8 octopus hook. For baits, nothing beats a sand crab, about the size of a nickel. I also like muscles or bloodworms (but they bite!). For plastics, the Gulp 4 inch sand worm in bloody or camo. Cut these in half then thread the first ½ inch through the hook. Remember, nothing works better the the real thing (live bait). Cast your set up just past the dirty water (past where the wave breaks). Slowly retrieve your offerings. I like to fish the incoming tide since these waves tend to blow out the sand crabs for the awaiting prey. I've been fishing the past few days at Newport Beach but the good tide is peak beach crowd time (11 am-4 pm). Try to stay away from the piers since this is where the crowd hangs out.

Good luck...

SanDimasLMB
06-23-2007, 10:20 PM
Ok, I want to help you but I need to know what you are targeting to help you with your tackle needs.

1. Again, I need to know what you are going to target
2. This is a personal preference, some people don't like the bait-and-wait game so they use artificials like Gulp!
3. Again, I need to know what you are going to target
4. :?: Can't understand what you're trying to say
5. The best time is the the 1 hour before the incoming tide and 1 hour before the outgoing tide.
6. Any pier or dock should produce for you and your son

alexonfreshsaltwater
06-23-2007, 11:10 PM
Servant Joe,

Check your private message. I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions... FishOn!

bones
06-26-2007, 06:13 PM
I agree with the above info. The best thing for a beginner with kids is to target the perch and croakers from the beach. A carolina rig with gulp sandworms is a no brainer. The rest will come with time and reading this board.Once the sandcrab beds form the sandcrabs make a great bait as well.
Try this link and scroll dow to the saltwater section of tips and start reading up.....
http://fishingnetwork.net/tips.htm

sansou
06-26-2007, 06:28 PM
If you don't want to buy Gulp, try looking for sand crabs. Take a colander or large mesh strainer from the kitchen. Dig in the wet shoreline where you see rippled "V" shapes in the sand. Scoop quickly and dump into the colander/strainer. Wash it out with water and you will find crabs!!!

Pin them in the butt and toss them out on C-Rig. Surf fishing has got to be the cheapest fun around.

Have fun!

servant joe
06-26-2007, 09:49 PM
:D
Thank you very much, gentlemen. This info. will really help me and my son tremendously. :P
servantjoe