PDA

View Full Version : Lake Mead 6-24 my 3yo first fish!!!!

RRTGuy
06-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Water Fished: Lake Mead (Boulder Marina)
Air temp: 91 (a.m.) 104 high
Wind:S 5-10 (afternoon gusts to 20)
Skies: Sunny and blue until about 3pm when a Monsoon rolled in!!!
Pressure:29 and dropping

Boat: 27' SunTracker Pontoon "Poverty Sucks"
Target: Striped Bass
Methods Fished: Bait'n'Wait----Trolling----Jigging
Catch: 2 Striper (2lbs and 4.1lbs)

The Story: :Fishing Hole:

My three year old has been buggin the CRAP out of me to take him fishing but I just have not had time lately. So when my buddies from Vegas hit me up and asked if I wanted to go fishing I jumped at the chance! We set out for Boulder City at 0630 and arrived at the Vons in Boulder at 0840 (stupid *** construction on the 93). Met up with my buddies, got the boat loaded and hit VONS for some friend chicken and drinks:Beer Toast:. On the water by 0930.

It is so sad to see Lake Mead down SO LOW!!!!:Angry: We almost couldn't launch the boat because the ramp has been extended 500 times and is now basically a sand bar to launch from. Got out on the water to GLASS and decided to troll out of the marina around to the Hoover Dam. Didn't get a single hit on the umbrella rigs. "Hey I hear Las Vegas Wash is biting lets hit that area". Sounded good to me so we brought up the trolling rigs and headed for a wash at a blistering 19MPH!!! LOL.:ROFL:

Heading into the wash and what do I see on the starboard side of the boat.........

BOIL:Bug Eyes:

I screamed out to my buddy driving the boat and headed for my poles. WTF not a single pole setup for anything other than bait and wait and trolling!!!!!:Angry: So in under 1 min. flat I had cut off my setup, grabbed the first bucktail I saw, tied it on and adjusted the baitcaster. "Follow the boil slowly and don't run up on it to quick", I tell my buddy.

First cast.....nothing. Second cast I swing for the fence as the boil has moved a bit and what happens........BIRDNEST FROM HELL!!!!! Get that worked out and throw a perfect cast about 4 ft to the other side of the boil. BAM fish on, 2lb'er. Then just as quickly as the boil appeared, it was gone!!!!

I was at home getting things set up for fishing and thought to myself, "Nah you don't need to take your topwater swimbait setup with the Lunker Punker already tied on." FAMOUS LAST WORDS!!!!! I could have kicked myself for not bringing that setup. Oh well, lesson learned!

Started getting windy and a monsoon was brewing over the hills of Vegas so we decided to head to the marina and tie up to the tire barrier and fish there. Baited up 4 rods total for the 4 of us and threw them out. About 15 mins go by and were hot, sunburned, thirsty, and fighting the wind!!! About to call it a day when my sons Spiderman pole goes BENDO!!!!:Dancing Banana:

"GRAB YOUR POLE" I yell out to my 3yo. He grabs the pole, fights a damn good fight, and brings up a NICE striper. Out comes the net, high fives for everyone and my 3yo is JAZZED!!! This is his first fish ever and not to bad if I may say so myself.

I think I got myself a little fisherman here.................:Thumbs Up:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/lyons001/MattFishing624002.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/lyons001/MattFishing624004.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/lyons001/MattFishing624005.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/lyons001/MattFishing624007.jpg

Tight Lines!!

RRTGuy

boxl0bster
06-24-2009, 11:52 PM
good job getting your boy on his first fish, that striper must have fought like hell on that kiddie rod lol. :Envious:

troutdog
06-25-2009, 12:04 AM
Great read...congrats to you and your son, priceless moment for sure!

TD

deanhall32
06-25-2009, 06:29 AM
Great story to read! Hopefully you will be fishing on your kids boat in the future. Keep the kid fishing and he will stay outta trouble.

fisherman from long beach
06-25-2009, 07:42 AM
if you think your son was buggin you to go fish,i bet hes all over your *** to go fishing,you gotta love it,there is nothing like seeing your kids catchin their first fish,smiles for the next few dayscongrats you will always have a fishing buddy

seal
06-25-2009, 08:09 AM
No topwater ready for a visit to Mead this time of year? Big time oops! Although my last time out a couple weekends ago no topwater action over at Sunset Overlook.

That's a fine striper that little fisherdude caught.

RRTGuy
06-25-2009, 08:19 AM
No topwater ready for a visit to Mead this time of year? Big time oops! Although my last time out a couple weekends ago no topwater action over at Sunset Overlook.

That's a fine striper that little fisherdude caught.

YAH YAH I know, STUPID!! I was thinking to myself......ehhh boils wont be here until July. Guess June 24th was close enough LOL.

He woke up when my alarm went off this morning and said "Daddy, Daddy, are we going fishing today? I want to catch another big fish!!! Remember daddy, my fish was bigger than yours!" LMAO I think that was what he was most excited about, his fish was bigger than mine!

Parrothead
06-25-2009, 09:52 AM
my son is only 5 months old, but I can't wait for the day that he catches his first fish. Congrats to both of you.

fisherman from long beach
06-25-2009, 10:24 AM
sounds like the kiddo is a fisherman, and his fish was bigger than yours,he will always remind of that.(c.m.c)

KID CREOLE
06-25-2009, 01:42 PM
Congrats, good stuff right there!

RamboBoy
06-25-2009, 07:51 PM
Congrat to your kid catch a striper! I am sure he had fun fighting striper with his pole.