PDA

View Full Version : Canal Expeditions 2 - Cat attack in the IV.

bluehunter
06-24-2009, 06:57 PM
The stage is being set for the final flathead event of the year for WCCM. This event will take place in EL Centro. Meeting place will be at Bucklin Park in El Centro off 8th street. Date is for August 22 8am Sat thru 8am Sunday morning.

This will be an adult and kids events. The adult category is single biggest flat and 5 fish channel stringer. Each category is 10 dollars for a total of 20. Awards will be broken down into 1st thru 3rd place at a 50, 35, and 15 percent offerings of total deposits per category.

Kids category is 5 fish stringer channel at a 10 dollar fee. This will also be broken down into a 1st thru 3rd place category at a 50, 35, and 15 percent of total deposits for that division.

Contestants will be allowed to fish all canals and lakes of the vacinity for this event. All DFG rules will be in effect. If you plan to release your catch please keep them alive by way of livewell or cooler and release them back to point of origin where you caught the fish at. This is in compliance of the rules set by the DFG.

More info and details to follow. If this sounds of interest to you please post your intent. Look forward to seeing everybody and good luck in your fishing endeavours.

B.

team760
06-25-2009, 03:25 PM
team760 +4

bluehunter
06-25-2009, 08:34 PM
1. team760 +4
2. bluehunter

flat man
06-26-2009, 07:59 PM
team whiskerbiscuit is in for sure 3 total

bluehunter
07-10-2009, 12:33 AM
1. team760 +4
2. bluehunter
3. team whiskerbiscuit +3
4. Mangles
5. Desertcatrat

fullstringer
07-10-2009, 11:57 AM
fullstringer+2 Hey Chad was up?

bluehunter
07-11-2009, 09:09 AM
1. team760 +4
2. bluehunter
4. Mangles
5. Desertcatrat
6. Catmancali
7. fullstringer +2

Thanks folks for signing up.

bluehunter
07-12-2009, 03:14 PM
1. team760 +4
2. bluehunter
4. Mangles
5. Desertcatrat
6. Catmancali
7. fullstringer +2
8. Liteline21

bluehunter
07-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Event is up and coming everybody. Look forward to seeing you. Let me reinterate the importance of following rules and the integrity of the event. Please make sure you follow rules. We talked to the Wardens at our last IV event and they were up on game with checking out what was going on. Do not use Tilapia for bait in the vacinity and make sure you use the required amount of rods (not more than two). You may use goldfish and bluegill. Do not release flatheads or any other fish into waters other than where you caught them at. Do not have any illegal substances on you while you are fishing as well. Plus please use the appropriate bait for fishing. Do not use bass for bait. I am giving everyone fair warning because DFG was at our last event. We had everything legal but I want this one to go the same way so we can uphold an excellent event just like the other events this year. Previous conversations noted other events that broke all kinds of rules, and we do not want to be lumped into those categories. So please follow regulations when you fish. Our events will be registered with the right permits by the time of the event. All you have to do is check with DFG website and you will see that WCCM and Team760 is a registered sponsor in line with having necessary permits for this years flathead derbies. Any questions pleae make sure you ask or note prior to event. Look forward to seeing everyone that can make it.

B

lowe
07-21-2009, 06:23 PM
1. team760 +4
2. bluehunter
4. Mangles
5. Desertcatrat
6. Catmancali
7. fullstringer +2
8. Liteline21
9. lowe

lowe
07-21-2009, 06:24 PM
1. team760 +4
2. bluehunter
4. Mangles
5. Desertcatrat
6. Catmancali
7. fullstringer +2
8. Liteline21
9. lowe +1

bluehunter
08-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Event is up and coming. Looks to be a great crowd involved. Big flats are biting as of late. The coachella put out a 42 recently and double digit size flats are bitting freely in the Alamo as well as the AAC. Get you flat cat game on.

Flatheads are bitting in the river area canals too as a buddy nailed a 30 pounder earlier tonite but keep in mind event is only for IV area only so you will want to concentrate on the Coachella, Alamo, All America, Highland, and other areas in that vacinity. Get ready as the event is up and coming.

B

bluehunter
08-02-2009, 12:38 AM
1. team760 +4
2. bluehunter
4. Mangles
5. Desertcatrat
6. Catmancali
7. fullstringer +2
8. Liteline21
9. Island joe
10. Lowe +1
11. IVcat +2

bluehunter
08-10-2009, 08:28 PM
1. team760 +4
2. bluehunter
4. Mangles
5. Desertcatrat
6. Catmancali
7. fullstringer +2
8. Liteline21
9. Island joe
10. Lowe +1
11. IVcat +2
12. Dhines +2

bluehunter
08-12-2009, 11:41 PM
People dont forget the location.

The stage is being set for the final flathead event of the year for WCCM. This event will take place in EL Centro. Meeting place will be at Bucklin Park in El Centro off 8th street. Date is for August 22 8am Sat thru 8am Sunday morning.

Bucklin Park. 8Th & Ross Street. El Centro. 92243. 760-337-4555.

http://www.infosports.com/parks/CA/180319.html

bluehunter
08-17-2009, 10:01 AM
1. team760 +4
2. bluehunter
4. Mangles
5. Desertcatrat
6. Catmancali
7. fullstringer +2
8. Liteline21
9. Island joe
10. Lowe +1
11. IVcat +2
12. Dhines +2
13. IVseanK +1

chrislxf
08-17-2009, 12:43 PM
I might be able to make it. more like 80% chance. But Brian put my name on the list. See u guys out there soon.

team760
08-18-2009, 05:27 AM
chris...hope to see you...also FYI a BBQ will be set up at a local establishment for anyone interested...T.

fullstringer
08-18-2009, 11:25 PM
when do we eat????????????

fullstringer

bluehunter
08-19-2009, 08:43 AM
Hope you can roll Chris. Joe it suppose to be around noon for the eating just to get out of heat for a few hrs.

fullstringer
08-19-2009, 09:31 AM
Hey that's great a little meet and greet and eat to get out of the heat.

team760
08-20-2009, 01:50 AM
the event has made the local papers....check out ivpressonline.com in the sports section under upcoming events...T.

bluehunter
08-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks a lot Todd for posting that info. Here is the direct link here.

B

http://www.ivpressonline.com/articles/2009/08/20/sports/sports10.txt

bluehunter
08-24-2009, 07:31 AM
Well everyone the 2nd annual Canal Expeditions is in the books. I had a great time on the water and I would like to thank all of the participants for showing up and giving support. This was an awesome way to bring closure to the year with the final event of 2009. Pretty much the motto of this year was to JUST HAVE FUN. Out with the old and in with the new sort to say. I wanted to cater to the the average fisherman and not just individuals with boats. This is catfishing, and more people fish for catfish from the bank than from the boat in America. The fees was reasonable as well and to not get off into a gambling type of deal. Plus we wanted to get the kids involved as well and this was a success from the boys uplifted trips to the kids participation in the tournaments. I would say mission well accomplished in that matter and it could not have been done without the help of great people.

First off I would like to thanks Todd of Team760 for being so supportive and imperative in helping the club engage in the best year that it had by far. This was an excellent year and ran just the way it was suppose to be. This is exactly what we needed and it was definitely fun fishing with you and participating in the tournaments with you this year. I also would like to thank True Blue - Deon - for helping and participating in the events this year as well. We have fun out there, and that is what it is all about. Also thanks to Chris. Thanks goes out to Gina - Todds wife - for being so helpful and supportive in this years events. Thanks goes out to Andre H, Earl, Chad, Brian Cook, La Mesa boys, Joe, Ryan, Tyrone, Willie, and everyone else that been so helpful in helping our events run peacefully and drama free. You all are a fun group and I am truly blessed to have met such great individuals. I also would like to give thanks to the DFG for giving us tips and supporting our events as well and giving us the permits. I look for more of the same and better in 2010. Can not wait until it happens.

Now to the fishing - This was my first time fishing the Alamo. Plus with the many waters the IV has to offer, I was torn between the All American and the Mo. The Imperial Valley is a mecca of fishing holes and waters to fish. I am quite impressed by what it has to offer, and can not believe that it does not get the recognition that it deserves in our local writes ups and editorials. The alamo reminds me a lot of the Palo Verde canal -same type of deal but with more structure in a way. We meet up with Brian and Chad who have experience on the MO. They pointed us in some directions, gave us some baits, showed us some hot spots like where Chads father caught the 30 plus pounder from a few weeks ago, and we also chatted and had some fun. Nice meeting you Brian and Chad. I look forward to many more times on the water with you guys be it the Mo or the Palo verde and Blythe areas. We went off to our fishing zone off hwy 111 and set up shop. I had about 5 runs that night but only landed a near 10 pounder flat that I released. I was stoked because this was my first alamo river flat. I had one run me in snags as well that I had to break off. When you fish this river, you need the real deal type of tackle even more heavier than what I would use on the Palo Verde.

Next morning we set up shop in El Centro and did the registration. Quite more people than I expected due to the signs of rains being possible; however we had 28 participants show up, and the weather was dry for the entire event. It was hot, but at least the night time brought us some cooler temps that was relaxing and soothing from the day. Friday was a very humid day and I almost though I was east of Dallas, Tx with how I was sweating and getting sticky. After registration we all went to get bluegills from Sun Beam and looked for some channel fishing holes. We decided on the coachella for the channels. The channels was wide open, but there was only one problem - they were all under a pound and were small. It was fun though watching Dyani( Deon's daughter) have fun catching the channels. His father also had fun. After trying the coachella and the Highland for channels and not getting what we wanted, we decided to search for some flat zones on the Alamo - the MO. We found some good areas towards salton sea and decided we would fish the zones that was close to each other so that we had our space while true blue and fam had theirs. Both spots was productive, except Deon lost his and a really big flat. Todd caught the winning flat from the hole that we found which was the 2nd option we had. Yours truly had one run earlier, but no cigar on the fish. I caught the stripe but still had a blast. Did have one go into a snag but I had to break it off. The snags of the Mo are notorious. LOL.

The highlight of the trip was a massive stringer from the All American that averaged 5-6 pounds each. That was quite impressive. Chad had one big channel at almost 8 pounds from the Mo. This one had a gap for a mouth seriously and was a male too with a bulging head like it was on roids. LOL. You sure that dis not come from the New River Chad? LOL. Also another highlight was a 34 pound flat and pb for Brian Cook that came the night before the event from the MO. Nice going Brian! This is the 2nd time in a roll that we had giant flats caught the night before and event. But it shows the integrity that we have as well as some people would have hid those fish and used it the following day. But thats not the way to go and I am appreciative of that with you and for releasing that massive catch. Congrats again on your PB. There was also some big 5-6 pound carp catches made as well, plus a few other smaller flats as well. Chad and Brian tossed back some flats that they thought would not have made it in the event but little did they know a 9pounder would take it. But the results of this trip was on the amaller scale side and it was tough for everybody for the flats. So anything and everything could have been taken into consideration for this event. Totally different than the last IV event that had several big flats up to almost 40 pounds including many in the mid to upper 20's and a few 30's as well. But that is how it goes sometimes. They can be either big or small in a derby.

Here is the total tally of catches that was made. 28 total participants of adults and kids.

Adult 5 fish channel division.

1. Vernon S. 33.5 pounds. Brawley All American canal
2. Mondo 18.2 pounds. All American canal
3. Eric W 7.11 pounds. Pacific Beach. All American canal
4. Chad Mangold. 7.9 pounds. Yucaipa. Alamo River
5. Ryan 4.14 pounds. Brawley.
6. Joe A. 2.15 pounds. La Quinta. Alamo River

Adult Single Flathead.

1. Todd A. 9.3 pounds. Alamo river. Westmorland
2. Morgan B. 7.15 pounds. All American canal. La Mesa
3. Joe A. 6.14 pounds. Alamo River. La Quinta
4.Mike C. 1.10 pounds. Sunbeam.

Kids division 6 participants.

1. Hayden 2.4 pounds. Dogwood area. El Centro
2. Dyani. 14 oz. Coachella. Ontario

Again I would like to thank all of the participants for showing up and giving much love. Look forward to seeing you in 2010 for the next years events. Will leave you with a you tube vid and slide. Thanks for your support.

B.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MwhbVNH6TA