PDA

View Full Version : Tubing at Leo Carrillo, Sharks??

PokerFish
06-24-2009, 12:50 AM
One of my buddies wants to go float tubing at Leo Carrillo this Thursday. I'm a little hesitant because I have heard from multiple people that there are a lot of sharks out there.

Am I just being paranoid? Are sharks something you guys that float tube in the salt worry about?

I've only float tubed in lakes and calm harbors so is there anything else such as strong currents I have to worry about at Leo Carrillo? From what I remember, it is pretty wide open there but I could be wrong.

LunkerLover
06-24-2009, 12:58 AM
Dude - dont worry bout sharks...

I fished Carrillo ONCE and found the halibut fishing AWESOME .... we launched off of PCH just SOUTH of a street called Mulholland (sp?)

There are some rocks about 30-40 yards off shore and LOTS of shallow kelp beds just off the rocks...

good luck... can get a little rough but ya kno...

troutdog
06-24-2009, 01:06 AM
I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought, go get some big ol flatties!

TD

PokerFish
06-24-2009, 01:13 AM
Thanks guys. I haven't caught a legal Butt this year so I'm hoping to cure that. I'm sure there are a lot of bass in there as well.

Anything in particular work well there? I was just planning on throwing Big Hammers.

PokerFish
06-24-2009, 01:26 AM
Oh yea, anyone want to join us?

troutdog
06-24-2009, 01:33 AM
Maybe try and dropshot something like Wingnut uses, that would seem to be fairly good advice these days :Wink:

Oh yea, anyone want to join us?

Screw that too many great white shark sightings for my liking...:Twisted: :LOL:

TD

PokerFish
06-24-2009, 01:55 AM
Maybe try and dropshot something like Wingnut uses, that would seem to be fairly good advice these days :Wink:

Yea, I don't know him but I've seen the reports. Seems anything that guys touches lately has been gold. Would love to fish with him. I'll definitely try dropshotting as well.

Screw that too many great white shark sightings for my liking...:Twisted: :LOL:

That's just great, thank you for that :Smile:

bsp
06-24-2009, 12:58 PM
http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/pacific_coast_shark_news.htm

If you are really concerned, look at this list. It lists reported shark sightings all along the coast. Do CPR if you are really concerned or head in as soon as you get something you want to keep. A bloody fish dangling right by your legs is asking for trouble, and you probably should minimize the time spent in a situation like that.

Keep in mind though that great white attacks are incredibly rare. You are more likely to get hit by a drunk driver on your to or back from the beach than get attacked by a great white in your float tube.

BIGRED KILLA
06-24-2009, 01:23 PM
F!@# the sharks watch for the wind don't go to far off from the beach once that wind kicks up good luck kickn back happend to me once sucks.

Bigred