PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Q: Beach fishing? (Long Beach)

Ultralight
06-23-2009, 11:22 PM
Need some help here from a newbie. Good a freshwater, but know diddly squat about salt water so I figure I might as well as you pros here.

In mid July, we have a convention for three days at the Long Beach Convention center. That is right by Long Beach Aquarium. I'd like to take our two boys fishing right there at the surf.

I vaguely remember a fried suggesting 8 foot long UL rods that's fast action about 4 -6 lb test. I'm thinking of using straight 4 lb Fireline for casting distance.

Question:
1. What lures?
2. What are we fishing for?
3. Is that area that offer high success for fishing the small stuff? (We're not rigged up for sharks or anything big like that which we see routinely from piers.)

We tried peas once at Catalina Island and it was pretty incredible from the Pier but are not sure if this applies to Long Beach.

Would love to have my boys have a memorable time.

Thanks,
UL

Fisherman57
06-23-2009, 11:35 PM
I'm FAR from a "pro"....... but this might help you some......
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=14334

I haven't fished the Long Beach surf very much..... but there's a few here that do and have.......... Im sure someone will chime in....

Good luck and we look forward to reading the report!

Ultralight
06-24-2009, 06:23 PM
Wow, that's a GREAT link! So a basic Carolina jig and 6 lbs test. Pretty easy rig it seems. Just a great read.

Now all I need to figure is if the Long Beach Convention Center's beach is a good spot.

Thanks!
UL

fisherman from long beach
06-24-2009, 06:49 PM
let me know how it is down there,i also hit up the left side of the redondo beach pier,caught halibut ,corbina,sand sharks,rays,on ghost shrimp

bsp
06-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Wow, that's a GREAT link! So a basic Carolina jig and 6 lbs test. Pretty easy rig it seems. Just a great read.

Now all I need to figure is if the Long Beach Convention Center's beach is a good spot.

Thanks!
UL

Try for halibut in the Long Beach area as well. Dropshotting baitfish imitating plastics (3in-5in) that you should have from from bass fishing, and casting Flash Minnow 110s or similar jerkbaits will give you a good chance at hooking some halibut. The flash minnow is fished more like a crankbait though, so bring your crankbait rod and dropshot rod. 3/8oz or 5/8oz for the dropshot weight. Look for structure along the beach like troughs or mini riptides and focus near them. Blind casting near birds or bait up and down the beach can also be productive at times. Good luck!