PDA

View Full Version : is this technique illegal?

ryryk
06-23-2009, 10:22 PM
I saw a guy on a pier throw a bare pyramid sinker out in the water n tighten the line.... Then he used a sabiki rig to catch live bait... When he did he would then hook the fish, and snap swivel the leader to the main line he casted earlier and send the fish down into the water like a zip line. Is that legal?
Thanks

ghetto dad
06-23-2009, 10:26 PM
I saw a guy on a pier throw a bare pyramid sinker out in the water n tighten the line.... Then he used a sabiki rig to catch live bait... When he did he would then hook the fish, and snap swivel the leader to the main line he casted earlier and send the fish down into the water like a zip line. Is that legal?
Thanks

yes...alot of pier guys fish like that.......wait....maybe i read it wrong....if hes FISHING with more than 2 hooks, other than to catch bait....its illegal....

GD

samgann93
06-23-2009, 10:26 PM
i have no idea. smart idea.

92yj
06-23-2009, 10:29 PM
sure its leagal. why not?

ghetto dad
06-23-2009, 10:30 PM
i dont know if pier rules are different....but you cant fish more than 2 hooks at a time while fishing...UNLESS you are fishing bait....or fishing dabs......

GD

ryryk
06-23-2009, 10:31 PM
Nope. Just one pretied leader with a snap swivel on it only one hook.

ghetto dad
06-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Nope. Just one pretied leader with a snap swivel on it only one hook.

oh, then thats legal.......

GD

GeordyBass
06-23-2009, 10:40 PM
lol,,,Yeah it's legal....One of my buddies is a pier junkie (I hate fishing on piers...lol...) and he does that a lot with 2 chovies or smelt....And catches Macks....a reason why I don't fish on piers....catch bait,then more bait....lol....

fongster
06-23-2009, 11:10 PM
Yes it's legal. It's called a trolley rig.

jplee3
06-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Thanks

I think it's legal - as long as you don't have more than 2 hooks in the water (I believe). What he was doing I think is referred to as "slide fishing" - real popular in Hawaii or other areas where people fish off cliffs too.

sansou
06-24-2009, 01:13 AM
ULUA rig.

Hawaiin method. They use long rods to get it out there (with a pyramid with copper legs), hence the reasoning behind "ulua" rods.

DEADROOTS
06-24-2009, 09:41 AM
lol,,,Yeah it's legal....One of my buddies is a pier junkie (I hate fishing on piers...lol...) and he does that a lot with 2 chovies or smelt....And catches Macks....a reason why I don't fish on piers....catch bait,then more bait....lol....

Don't lie brrrro! Every one knows that your a baiter and waiter!:ROFL::ROFL:

Skyler
06-25-2009, 02:37 PM
According to DFG regs you are only limited on the number of hooks you use while fishing special reg waters and freshwater lakes/streams. You can only have three hooks/lures on your line in freshwater. In artificial/barbless only waters, only one lure is allowed (it can have up to three hooks on it). In saltwater, as long as you aren't targeting salmon (which is closed this year anyways), you can have as many hooks and lines out as you want, unless there are special regs in place for the area you're fishing. On piers I know you are only allowed two lines though, but there are still no restrictions on the number of hooks you can use. So no, his technique was not illegal at all. I think it's a pretty handy rig too.

cappo
06-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Wheres pier master Vic, he can answer this.

ghetto dad
06-25-2009, 03:09 PM
Wheres pier master Vic, he can answer this.

no he cant cuz....dude wasnt asking how big a spark plug to use, or exactly how many tom cod will fit into a 5 gallon bucket...:ROFL:

GD

ryryk
06-25-2009, 04:48 PM
no he cant cuz....dude wasnt asking how big a spark plug to use, or exactly how many tom cod will fit into a 5 gallon bucket...:ROFL:

GD
Lol at the spark plug. I just saw that last time I was out i was like wtf.... And I've seen around 11 with room in the bucket.
Thanks guys for the responses I will try it out!

txcurry
06-26-2009, 04:36 PM
My dad and I used to use that technique way back in the day to fish for Halibut off Huntington Beach pier. That's right, way back when, you could catch halibut off the pier, like, 40-50 years back!

kgselect
07-07-2009, 05:13 PM
My dad used to rig our line that way when fishing from the pier many years ago. It's very effective when fishing live bait. I remember hooking a bonito from Belmont Pier and wrapping up about 20 lines. Took my dad hours to untangle everyone. LOL.

Ifishtoolittle
07-08-2009, 01:25 AM

Hey bait still put up a fight on light tackle LOL!

winningman
07-08-2009, 07:30 AM
I belive its ok to do it..
we call it "SLIDER" that will make live bait to run free
between line~~~~up and down, up to two bait~~

but mostly end up in bottom and get stingray~~
first bait I put light split-shot to sink a little~