PDA

View Full Version : NPH, Father’s Day Weekend 06/20-21

kgselect
06-23-2009, 06:08 PM
Spent the Father’s Day weekend down in Newport Beach, so . . . my son and I had to launch the kayak for a bit of bay fishing. We fished for a few hours both on Saturday and Sunday. Since I hadn’t fished NPH in years (and, never with the kayak), this was a bit of an exploratory outing for us. The weather was cool and overcast on Saturday. Sunday, we had beautiful blue skies and light breezes. Since we’re in a tandem kayak, I spend most of the day staring at the back of my son’s head.

There definitely were productive and less productive spots in the harbor. While we didn’t catch a lot of fish, we did catch some very chunky, hard fighting fish that included spotted bay bass, YFC and one fat Sargo. Unfortunately, no halibut were caught, but, we did get quite a few hits and misses that may have been small halis. We used mostly Gulp jerk shads and Zoom flukes in various colors on 6lb P-line. Threw the LC and Yo-Zuri a bit, but didn’t get any takers. All fish were released.

The Sargo was actually caught on fresh mussel. My son found some mussel on the side of the dock and baited his drop shot with it. On the second dock we tried, he got a nibble and set the hook. This fish just took off under the dock. My son had to muscle it out into open water. It was a quite a stubborn fish. I was impressed that the 6lb P-line held up so well with the Sargo and all of the other fish we caught in the harbor.

Anyway, we had a great time exploring the docks and beaches of NPH on the kayak. There are so many more areas in the harbor that we want to fish. We will definitely be back soon.

ryryk
06-23-2009, 07:39 PM
Nice fishes! What size hook do u use for those jerk shads?

socalfish
06-23-2009, 08:40 PM
looks like you guys had a great time!!

kgselect
06-24-2009, 08:35 AM
Hi ryryk. I believe the hooks are size #2, drop shot or octopus hooks.

MAVERICK27
06-24-2009, 10:36 AM
GREAT JOB, NICE SPECIES VARIATION! tHANKS FOR THE DETAILS!! GOOD QUALITY TIME ON THE WATER WITH FATHER AND SON!!!