PDA

View Full Version : Light tackle NPH 6/23 on the kayak

ldsaylor
06-23-2009, 05:42 PM
After reading Wingnuts epic post and seeing the video this morning I was inspired to bring out some light tackle on the kayak in NPH to see what I could find. I wan't gutsy enough to go with the 2' Superman pole though.. haha. I broke out my 4'8" Ultralight Ugly Stik on 4 lb. test and rigged up the drop shot. Was flipping 5" Gulp Jerk Shad New Penny mostly. Also caught 2 spotties on Zoom Albino Super Flukes.

About 10 minutes in and I nail the first nice spottie.. And a pretty good size yellow fin croaker about 5 minutes after that. After fighting and landing these 2 fish on my little pole I have no idea how Wingnut did that on a 2' Superhero pole.. They pulled me all over the place. I kept having to jam the rod between my legs and paddle backwards cause the fish and the tide were pulling my kayak right into boats.

Was out for about 3 hours and the final tally was 6 spotties and 1 YFC. The fishing wasn't heavy but I had a blast with everyone that was hooked. All fish were released. Pretty fun day on the water. After reading all these posts lately I had to get out there..

Here are some pics of the spotties. I tried putting up a pic of the YFC and my ultraweight weapon I used out there but they wouldn't load for some reason..

Wingnut
06-23-2009, 10:43 PM
Nice job on the Spotties, they're absolutely a blast on light tackle. Keep up the good work! :Cool:

calico killer kevin
06-24-2009, 12:58 AM
I know what that feels like lol. I used to fish them with my Spinmatic 2-6lb
with 2lb Izor XXX lol. From shore I could control them better, but from the
kayak, they just tow you around at will. I have now adapted to 6lb line,
but am thinking of going to 4lb.