PDA

View Full Version : Santa fe pan fish!!

PUDD MASTER BAITER
06-23-2009, 08:10 AM
After giving an a/c ,and heating equipment estimate ,in el monte,i stop by santa fe dam. Ive been there 5 times ,an really didnt expect much in the way of action for bass. I grab my 3wt fly rod, with a black tiny bead head 2lb. Leader ,and a small stike indicator starting at the dam by the first parking lot roll ,and working my way were the water comes in for some some pan fish action.i had to roll cast to stay from the bushes .on every cast i get hit, and am rewarded with small red ears ,and bluegill. I even caught a couple of little rock bass(war mouth) i lost count after 30. These were all on the small side, but it was a lot better ,than the pudd hole has been. There was also a guy using flour tortillas. He had 2- 10lb to 15lb carp on the stringer.i didnt bother fishing ,for bass, tho i saw a few smaller ones chasing bass fry, along with the pan fish. With all the fry i saw every were ,i guess the bass population must be good there.

aoessand
06-23-2009, 05:50 PM
SFD is one of the best pan fish spots ive ever seen every time i go if nothing else is biting i can throw out a mil worm and almost guarantee pan fish i might have to go try some crap action lol... not to eat but at least they fun to catch lol

DCCTrouserTrout
06-23-2009, 06:49 PM
My grandma used to take me when I was small and I would just destroy the panfish. I have been skunked the lask couple times I have been there though... Nice work with the fly rod PUDD...

Kokak
06-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Where abouts did you see the guy catching the carp?

PM me if you want...

RoastedBlueGill
06-23-2009, 06:52 PM
After giving an a/c ,and heating equipment estimate ,in el monte,i stop by santa fe dam. Ive been there 5 times ,an really didnt expect much in the way of action for bass. I grab my 3wt fly rod, with a black tiny bead head 2lb. Leader ,and a small stike indicator starting at the dam by the first parking lot roll ,and working my way were the water comes in for some some pan fish action.i had to roll cast to stay from the bushes .on every cast i get hit, and am rewarded with small red ears ,and bluegill. I even caught a couple of little rock bass(war mouth) i lost count after 30. These were all on the small side, but it was a lot better ,than the pudd hole has been. There was also a guy using flour tortillas. He had 2- 10lb to 15lb carp on the stringer.i didnt bother fishing ,for bass, tho i saw a few smaller ones chasing bass fry, along with the pan fish. With all the fry i saw every were ,i guess the bass population must be good there.

hey pmb did you say bluegill!!! by the way how was your trip to the bay?

Billy Bass
06-23-2009, 09:51 PM
SFD is one of the best pan fish spots ive ever seen every time i go if nothing else is biting i can throw out a mil worm and almost guarantee pan fish i might have to go try some crap action lol... not to eat but at least they fun to catch lol

"Try some CRAP action"???
are you talking about fishing that really stinks or going to Vegas???

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Billy Bass
06-23-2009, 09:52 PM
hey pmb did you say bluegill!!! by the way how was your trip to the bay?

Bluegill? Bluegill? and no boat needed......................