PDA

View Full Version : Code name: Project Phoenix

Socal Bassman
06-22-2009, 10:51 PM
Well here are a few pictures of the project, which I have dubbed as Project Phoenix. These areas will be my main focal points for now.

1: Wiring at the console
2. Control box
3. Dash plate and switches
4. Fiberglass repair on fender

I'm sure she has seen better days, but like the mythical bird, she will rise again from the ashes.

I have spent a whole day trying to figure out this mess with no luck.
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Family/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpghttp://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Socal_Bassman/RangerUpClose001.jpg
The pic doesn't show it but there are three switches just hanging under the console, which I have no clue what they control.

There is (was) an issue with the ignition switch. As you can see in the pic, the top of the control box was removed by the previous owner in an attempt to fix the ignition switch. Believe it or not, you can start the motor in this condition.
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Socal_Bassman/RangerUpClose002.jpg
I've already bought a new ignition switch but haven't installed it yet. I plan on relocating it somewhere on the console and maybe replace the "old school" control box for a flush mounted control.

Old, faded dash panel and missing switches. Apparently, the trim gauge isn't working either because the motor is trimmed up.
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Socal_Bassman/RangerUpClose003.jpg

A shot of the fender.
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Socal_Bassman/RangerUpClose007.jpg

Those are just the main things that I want to take care of before I put her back on the water. Then I'll move on to the chips in the gelcoat and trying to bring back the original color as best I can. The gelcoat is heavily oxidized. I could probably use it as a back scratcher :LOL:. Already tried a color restorer and polish with no luck, so I guess I'll give wet sanding a try.

The boat came with a home made deck extension but the wood was not sealed with fiberglass resin. My plan is to make another one out of 3/4" plywood covered with fiberglass resin and adding extra storage compartments. Although the carpet doesn't look bad at all, I just might replace it after I finish the deck.

matt duarte
06-22-2009, 11:05 PM
nice dude! i was waiting for you to post this up!! i just got the wood for the floor and the carpet for my boat today...

Tail Chaser
06-23-2009, 03:11 PM
You will know the boat well when you are finished.
Amazing what boat builders got away with on there wiring. Then a previous owner does a hatchet job on the birds nest.
There should be something on the market for the oxidized gelcoat.

Ronira
06-24-2009, 05:56 AM
That's quite a wiring backlash bro. It's gonna take a while to trace all of it. You might want to use different color wire ties or tape to mark the wires as you go to keep from getting confused. Boat looks great, can't wait to see it on the lake.

matt duarte
06-27-2009, 12:36 AM
(crowd chanting) UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!

Socal Bassman
06-27-2009, 01:24 AM
(crowd chanting) UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!

LOL. Sorry bro, been busy with other stuff and work lately and had no time to work on it. I might get some time tomorrow though.

TheFishcatcher
06-27-2009, 06:10 AM
"I have spent a whole day trying to figure out this mess with no luck."

C'mon D, we saw set up worse than that at Pioneer dude :Big Grin: just isolate one cable at a time hommie, want me to call Jose to give you a hand? :Wink:

dixoncider
06-27-2009, 07:07 AM
As far as the wiring goes it maybe easier to just start over, then you know what you have and where every wire runs. On a boat like that they use more of and automotive type of wiring job than a marine. For the gelcoat I have used the 3M products with good results. You are going to need some sort of power "buffer" I use a variable speed grinder with a 3M buffer pad on it. here is one of the compunds you may want to use. 3M PRODUCTS
Perfect-It™ 3000 Extra Cut Rubbing Compound,they have it at west marine.. after the rubbing compound you need to use a glazing compound or I think they call it a finishing compound and then wax... after all that you may find it is not saveable but either way it will look better. one more thing that dash panel,,,, just get rid of it.. get a piece of "starboard" also at west marine, and make a new one to suit your install.

Socal Bassman
06-27-2009, 01:17 PM
Got up later than expected and only got in a couple hours of work in this morning before it got hot. Ignition switch has been replaced, patched up a few chips in the gel goat, then did a little wet sanding to see if I could get some color back.

The gel coat on this thing felt like sand paper :LOL:. Started wet sanding a small portion first with 1000 grit, then 1500, then 2000. Took a lot of scrubbing to get the crap off, but it's smooth as a baby's butt though. :LOL:

Before (Yikes!!!)
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Socal_Bassman/ProjectPhoenix01003.jpg

After (Look at that shine)
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Socal_Bassman/ProjectPhoenix01007.jpg

This is just wet sanding and putting down a little rubbing compound. I forgot to bring the high speed buffer and wax. So, I'll be back at it again to do the rest of the boat.

samgann93
06-27-2009, 02:13 PM
thats looking awesome man!!!

CAPT'N
06-27-2009, 04:27 PM
WoW ! what a difference...............

Capt'n

tacklejunkie
06-29-2009, 08:48 AM
Dang you're boat is gonna be cherried! It's cleaning up nicely! Sounds like lots of work, but looks like it'll come out sweet!
Don't you work with Electronics, Socal?
You should be able to make some clean work from that pile of wires. :Wink:

plastics
06-29-2009, 09:18 AM
DUDE!!!! It looks awesome SoCal! Good for you man. Congratulations. That boat is gonna be beautiful.

(Good luck on the wiring situation btw ... I'd be screwed if I had to try to fix that birdsnest.)

Looking forward to the next project phoenix update bro!

rcman51
07-14-2009, 12:29 AM
Nice job on the restoration of the gel coal SoCal.