PDA

View Full Version : Another 3/4 day trip out of Seaforth Landing

EastCoaster
06-22-2009, 10:03 PM
Going on a 3/4 day trip through Last Chance Bait & Tackle out of Seaforth Landing with Jody. Never gone through them but Megan says Jody is really good and have heard nothing but awsome stuff. Anybody know what we might be targeting right now??

Ricky-Ray
06-22-2009, 10:06 PM
Depends...when's the trip?

EastCoaster
06-22-2009, 10:20 PM
Sunday is the trip... I talked to Megan today and she was saying that there is always a possibility of Bluefin and Albacore with how close they have been lately... Hopefully some tail

EastCoaster
06-22-2009, 10:22 PM
Hey Ricky, sorry I didnt get back to you that one time I got busy because I lost my job and I have been craming tryin to figure out what to do, applying for jobs, maybe goin back to the marines, but seriously we still got some openings on a 3/4 day trip in Aug (wanna say 22nd) but not sure out of H&M Landing

Ricky-Ray
06-22-2009, 10:38 PM
3/4 day outta Seaforth he could probably hit the Coronado's, possibility of yellowtail and bonitio. Or he could swing north to the La Jolla kelp bed, bass, maybe white sea bass, maybe some yellowtails and other misc bottom fish. Not much as far as I know of happening offshore and it's too far to hit SCI on a 3/4 day run and the bluefin and albies are definitely too far out for you guys unless they somehow make a big migratory move over the next few day's.

sansou
06-22-2009, 10:56 PM
Very doubtful you go "offshore" for tuna on a 3/4 right now....they just aren't close enough and concentrated enough right now.

Chances are you'll go to Coronado Island, north end of South Island (anchoring the middle grounds aspect for YT) and when things die down, the east side of south island for the couple rockcod holes (gotta make sure everyone goes home with something slimey), and probably an end of day run to Pukey for sculpin. That's the usual 3/4 day run to he islands, unless the barracuda or bonito show up...

Bring your iron, and a handful of 1 through 2/0 for the flyline, in addition to some lead for the bottom scratching. I would strongly suggest trying a treble stinger on the flyline (yes, I know this is heresy for you purists) cause the yellows can be really small and shortbite quite a bit.

Enjoy...AND POST A REPORT!

flopps1
06-23-2009, 07:42 PM
If it's the San Diego your jumping on, the boat typically will head to the Coronado islands. That's their bread and butter. However, the water rolled big time since Thursday of last week. Was nice clean blue and has turned to a dirty green.

A buddy of mine was talking to the captain yesterday. The boat may hit up La Jolla soon if conditions remain ugly at the islands. Their seeing good spots of yellows and will go where the fish are. It's a good thing. yellows are being spotted, short boat ride, and gives you alot more fishing time for a 3/4 trip.

Be ready for some possible yellows be it La Jolla or the islands. Great boat and fishes hard!

If you do happen to head to the islands this may help you. Prior to the water rolling. There were two grades of yellows at the islands. Smaller grades of 8 to 12 pounders and some brusiers that are ranging from 18 to 26 pounds. These ones have some muscle on em! Not your average nados tails. The smaller ones are more willing biters while the larger ones were a pick bite. The key is to getting the best bait you can find, get it clear of any tangles, and get it out before the sea lions come around. If they come which I'm they will... then soak a bait and get it past them for a possible bite. Sardines are king and 2 or 2/0 hooks flylined is the ticket. Green pattern surfaces irons such as a Tady 45 were getting hits. I would suggest you have a minimum of a 20 and 25 stick with you. Fish were everywhere not too much drive time before a another school is located. Few nice calicos coming up off the Middle grounds. There was alot of bait around the islands so alot of these fish are filled up and not willing.

Other then that, if it's your not yellowtail chasing then it'll be pretty much what Sansou said. Have tackle for the for the bottom fishing.

Good luck! Should be fun.

EastCoaster
06-23-2009, 08:50 PM
Thanks everyone... Just curious what are the Calicos biting. I have a very wide variety of tady lures in many different colors. I found that the tady 45 in dorado was a good one last time. I have scrambled egg, bird crap, and some blue and chrome. Should i have some blue and white??

Ricky-Ray
06-24-2009, 01:41 PM
Blue/White has been a long time standard. I would definitely add that to the arsenal.

If fishing for calico's get some leadheads and either some big hammer swimbait's or even some berkley gulp. Killer on the bass.

EastCoaster
06-24-2009, 02:21 PM
When using the big hammers, do you cast them and let them sink to the bottom and slow retrieve? Or is it cast, let sink a little bit then retrieve. Never used them before

Ricky-Ray
06-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Either when it hit's the surface I'll start retrieving or let it sink a little. I'll usually do different methods to work the water column to find out where they are. Sometimes they are right on the surface and sometimes the small ones are on top and the bigger ones are a little further down. Just have to try different way's until you find where they are.

EastCoaster
06-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Is there a certain color I should go for? Certain size head? Like I said never thrown these before. Ricky you still want info about that 3/4 day in Aug???

Ricky-Ray
06-24-2009, 03:54 PM
1/4, 1/2, 3/8, 3/4 oz are usually my go to lead heads all depending on how fast the current is ripping.

Green/white, Green with sparkle flakes, orange/red, rootbeer color have worked well. Or if you want to try the Berkley Gulp stuff, 3 or 4 in shrimp in nuclear chicken, or new penny color have worked well. Also 5 inch jerk shads in the same color have worked well too.

flopps1
06-24-2009, 08:11 PM
Get a cast if you can and let it sink. I would suggest any plastics with green in it. Match the bait. Those sea lions are thick and it's tough fishing around the boat.

EastCoaster
06-24-2009, 09:31 PM
Can i fish for calicos all over? Like Im sure we are going to the coronado islands, am i gonna have luck there? I know people throw those big hammers out at the bait barge

boojoo
06-25-2009, 02:01 PM
Hey Ricky-Ray- I was just wondering what style leadhead you prefer when fishing the 3-4in Shrimp? How about the Jerk Shad?? Your help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BooJoo

JapanRon
06-25-2009, 02:37 PM
Hi sansou, flopps1 and all,

Appreciate the good info ..... many of us don't fish SD regularly but still make note of what might be in store if a chance trip came along.

Thanks,

JapanRon

Ricky-Ray
06-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Hey Ricky-Ray- I was just wondering what style leadhead you prefer when fishing the 3-4in Shrimp? How about the Jerk Shad?? Your help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BooJoo

I've been using the Owner Darter Heads for both the shrimp and jerkshad's and have had great success with them.

EastCoaster
06-25-2009, 03:18 PM
alright so today I went back to Last Chance and bought a Tady 45 in blue and white, and 3 different colors of the big hammer... Dont remember all the color names but one is motor oil...

flopps1
06-25-2009, 09:43 PM
Hi sansou, flopps1 and all,

Appreciate the good info ..... many of us don't fish SD regularly but still make note of what might be in store if a chance trip came along.

Thanks,

JapanRon

No worries! Gald your finding the info helpful! It's all about catching the fish!

flopps1
06-25-2009, 09:50 PM
Eastcoaster....You might go with 3/4 to 1oz leadheads for those big hammers. Really will depend on the current when you get out there.

The San Diego has been fishing La Jolla like I said. They are killing the calicos over there. 23 anglers for 177 calicos.

The weather looking better at the islands from what I hear. Guessing a couple of more days and the surface fish may come back to play. Good luck!