PDA

View Full Version : Good news for fishing?

FishermanStu
06-22-2009, 07:55 PM
EL NIÑO/SOUTHERN OSCILLATION (ENSO) DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSION
issued by
CLIMATE PREDICTION CENTER/NCEP/NWS
4 June 2009

ENSO Alert System Status: El Niño Watch

Synopsis: Conditions are favorable for a transition from ENSO-neutral to El Niño conditions during June − August 2009.
ENSO-neutral conditions persisted across the equatorial Pacific Ocean during May 2009. However, sea surface temperatures (SST) increased for the fifth consecutive month, with above-average temperatures extending across the equatorial Pacific Ocean by the end of May (Fig. 1). Accordingly, the latest weekly SST indices ranged between +0.4° to +0.5°C in all four Niño regions (Fig. 2). Subsurface oceanic heat content anomalies (average temperatures in the upper 300m of the ocean, Fig. 3) also continued to increase in response to a large area of above-average temperatures (+2° to +4°C) near thermocline depth (Fig. 4). These surface and subsurface oceanic anomalies typically precede the development of El Niño.
From early 2007 through April 2009, enhanced low-level easterly winds persisted near the Date Line, interrupted only briefly by Madden- Julian Oscillation (MJO) activity. However, during May 2009, both the lower-level equatorial winds were near-average in that region despite the absence of the MJO. Also, suppressed convection expanded westward along the equator from the Date Line to Indonesia. The recent oceanic and atmospheric anomalies are consistent with ENSO-neutral conditions, but also reflect the evolution towards a potential El Niño.
There continues to be considerable spread in the model forecasts for the Niño-3.4 region (Fig. 5). All statistical models predict ENSO-neutral conditions will continue for the remainder of 2009. However, most dynamical models, including the NCEP Climate Forecast System, predict the onset of El Niño during June − August 2009. Current observations, recent trends, and the dynamical model forecasts indicate that conditions are favorable for a transition from ENSO-neutral to El Niño conditions during June − August 2009.
This discussion is a consolidated effort of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), NOAA’s National Weather Service, and their funded institutions. Oceanic and atmospheric conditions are updated weekly on the Climate Prediction Center web site (El Niño/La Niña Current Conditions and Expert Discussions). Forecasts for the evolution of El Niño/La Niña are updated monthly in the Forecast Forum section of CPC's Climate Diagnostics Bulletin. The next ENSO Diagnostics Discussion is scheduled for 9 July 2009. To receive an e-mail notification when the monthly ENSO Diagnostic Discussions are released, please send an e-mail message to: ncep.list.enso-update@noaa.gov.
Climate Prediction Center
National Centers for Environmental Prediction
NOAA/National Weather Service
Camp Springs, MD 20746-4304

flopps1
06-22-2009, 09:25 PM
Man....El Nino! The last one brought yellowfin and dorado right on our front door step. I member landing yellowfin and dorado bout 1 mile or two off Dana. Incredible fishing year for sure.

TShaffer
06-22-2009, 11:40 PM
Let's go El Nino!

calico killer kevin
06-23-2009, 02:15 AM
Bad for the bass and other kelp dwelling creatures, but great news for
the pelagics.

Bring on the inshore tunas! I would love to be towed around in by one
in my yak.:Envious:

KID CREOLE
06-23-2009, 07:21 AM
Man....El Nino! The last one brought yellowinfin and dorado right on front door step.I member landing yellowfin and dorado bout 1 mile or two off Dana. Incredable fishing year for sure.

we had that last summer, few miles further out

daveg456
06-23-2009, 10:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEoHz56jWGY

socalrippin
06-23-2009, 03:10 PM
sweet! i wish we could get another el nino like in 97. i was too young to take advantage of it but i sure remember it. the morning news helicopters were showing schools of yellowtail right off our local beaches.

That Dang Guy
06-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Every year they predict something and it always goes the other way. When they change their prediction, it always goes back. El Nino is a lie. A conspiracy!

ToadsToadsOnly
06-23-2009, 04:21 PM
sweet! i wish we could get another el nino like in 97. i was too young to take advantage of it but i sure remember it. the morning news helicopters were showing schools of yellowtail right off our local beaches.

Viva El Nino! Man If we have an el nino like 97 im going to quit my job and fish for the rest of the year. We were getting limits of yellows on 1/2 day boats.

sansou
06-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Summer of 1997 ruined me. It was my first summer living in SD, getting ready for grad school. I remember one trip going out with my Dad on the Daily Struggle (Daily Double) and landing YFT 9 miles off the point. Being a complete noob to tuna, I figured every summer/fall fishing year was like this.

Been chasing that summer of 1997 feeling ever since, like a junkie trying to re-experience that first high. I've had a few good years since (for example last summer was good), but nothing like the summer/fall of 97 as far as I have experienced.

flopps1
06-23-2009, 07:37 PM
we had that last summer, few miles further out

Yeah...but there was a huge difference! Fish were not line shy at all, seemed like all the paddies were loaded and all the fishing was within an hour from shore. Fish were everywhere and to catch the pelegics that close and in front of Dana? That's a rarity. Only el nino.

Anyone one who fished that year knows what i'm talking about.

JapanRon
06-23-2009, 08:53 PM
Oh ... Good Grief .....

So ..... What ..... some moo-moo's idiot skipper is gonna take 70 guys on a 75 foot boat to paddy hop locally for a total of two fish caught all day ?? AGAIN ?! :)

JapanRon

exfactor
06-23-2009, 09:02 PM
The 82/83 el Nino was waaaaaaay more awesome dudes. Marlin at Anacapa, and Santa Cruz Island.
Shoot, one even caught at the 4 mile reef off Santa Barbara. We had a day where we hooked 12 marlin here. yellows were thick here too. Damn, I'm gettin old.

KID CREOLE
06-24-2009, 08:14 AM
Yeah...but there was a huge difference! Fish were not line shy at all, seemed like all the paddies were loaded and all the fishing was within an hour from shore. Fish were everywhere and to catch the pelegics that close and in front of Dana? That's a rarity. Only el nino.

Anyone one who fished that year knows what i'm talking about.

There wer plenty of YFTs to be caught here locally last year if you worked at it, 2 of us got this little pile from Dana Pt.

http://www.bloodydecks.com/gallery/files/8/9/1/tuna10_50334.jpg

Agreed, the warmer the water typically the easier the fishing is for the pelagic but the trade off is not worth it to me! Lots of fun for sure and it gives us PBrs from southern California a shot at an exotic.

If you boys think the 1997 El Nino was a good, you obviously didn't fish the 82-83 which was the BIG ONE.

FishermanStu
06-24-2009, 05:57 PM
well it sounds like were about due for one then. i didnt fish the 97 one considering i was 7 years old so id love to get into some of that once in my life before the only thing left in the ocean is jellyfish and clams