PDA

View Full Version : First time fishing up at Bishop

Jester
06-22-2009, 07:01 PM
Hey all. I am planning to do a trip up to Bishop with the wife this next week as I have vacation, and I am finally healed from my skin Cancer. (Wear Sunscreen everyone..please)
Anyways.. public service announcement over... I was wondering where to start? PVR looks pretty good.. perhaps the Owens? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

~Jess

tacklejunkie
06-22-2009, 07:49 PM
You should do good at PVR and below with panther martins on 4lb line. I'm not sure what does well in the res though but I mop it up in the owens from PVR to the footbridge.
Make sure you don't use anything with barbs or bait below the campground foot bridge. You'll see the reg signs when you pull up.

Have fun! Some good fish right around there. Good base camp type area to base further extended trips from!

I'd also suggest getting yourself a good map and driving up into the hills to some of the lakes that are short trips from bishop. Try the inlets and outlets of many sierra lakes and you can't go wrong!

Jester
06-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Hey Tacklejunkie,

Thanks for the Info. I will try those areas. I will be in a rental car, do you know if the roads are passable in a car?

~Jess

primo55
06-23-2009, 07:26 AM
the owens river has allot of good spots,warm springs is a good spot..or line st...overall fishing is good on the owens!

Jester
06-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Yeah I really want to fish the Owens. Are the roads passable in a rental though?

troutdog
06-23-2009, 01:48 PM
Yeah I really want to fish the Owens. Are the roads passable in a rental though?

You should be fine in a rental...

If I head to the Bishop area I try to never miss hitting South Lake and Sabrina...Intake II has easy access as well the creek running through the canyon.

Hit me up if you need a cheap(under $60), but nice motel to stay in.

Glad to hear the skin issue is water under the bridge, best of health in moving forward!

TD

sierraslam
06-23-2009, 03:55 PM
I would go above PVR and Lower Owens. ya, there's fish there, but I just drove through Bishop and it's 95 - 100 degrees. South lake, North lake, Rock creek, and lake, Upper Owens, and Mammoth would be my suggestions.

Jester
06-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the kind words, and the great info. I plan on trying many if not all of those places, as I have 5 days there. I hope the weather is good when I am there, but I will take what I get and do my best with it. Thanks again.