PDA

View Full Version : King Harbor them Marina Del rey with my brother -sunday 6-21

gletemfeelsteelgary
06-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Sunday

KING HARBOR:

The water looked good and we arrived 1 ½ hrs b4 high tide am (looked favorable)

Took my brother out Gulp fishing, he wasn’t very savvy with that style of fishing though he had used the gulp sandcrabs and sandworms in the surf etc.

I coached him through a halibut attack with the Gulp alive minnow on light line..

Took ’em to my hot lil’ spots that I like to target them flatties there.

very slow….very little activity !

Just when I saw that look on his face of loss of confidence..I gave him a few more pcs of advice on methods and strike detection:

“hop hop, twitch, hop twitch twitch…then really mix it up and throw in a drag…drag drag twitch into the mix” I coach him through !

I go on to tell ‘em….sometimes they’ll fool ya too, it’s not always the crunching, thumping or tapping bite associated with a halibut….sometimes they’ll grab it and hold it !
Fooling you into thinking your snagged..

I also told him, when in doubt.."SET THE HOOK !"

Hooksets are free, use as many as U like !

That look on his face is still there…thinking I’m all full of it…then.. 4-5 minutes later, I look over at him…..

BENDO ! Hookup !

Turns out he just "dragged dragged dragged and he felt like it was snagged !
Ha ha..I love ta see a lil advice go into affect ! and so quickly !

He battles on, a nice flattie nears the boat….I net it…the fish is in the net as I ready it to come into the boat

looks to be a done deal…..

Uh ohhh…Cheeet !

It does a surpirise springboard move that I’ve never seen before in all my years and the fish managed to “spring” himself out of the net and launched 2 feet out of the net..

The fish is still on and takes about a 30’ drag peeling run….he battles it back to the boat slowly….just as it was getting into net range…I saw him opening his mouth WIDE and thrashing…..the fish slashes the 8 lb p-line and saws him off..

It was a nice quality fish, about 27” or so

Dayam ! well at least my brother got to see the gulp doing it’s job !

We fished on for no other Halibut activity (dammed weather)

Worked real hard for other fish and had a nice surprise too (WSB).

My brother Carl landed:
2 Calicos
1 Sandbass
1 White Seabass
1 Cuda
1 Mackeral
1 (Halibut lost-approx 27”)

I landed
10 Calicos
3 Sandbass
1 Mackeral

Marina Del Rey (Late start)

Water was REAL STAINED ! very bad in the harbor, I trolled on my way out to the jetty for no strikes and only metered 1 fish.

The water was much more clear out by the end t-jetty

I had 2 halibut hookups and I could tell they were sizable feesh, 1 shook off and the other broke off on real light line (line frayed from rockbass fishing I think)

My brother Carl Landed:

10-12 Calicos (mostly small- a few from from 13-17”)
1 Sandbass

20-25 Calicos (mostly small- some ranging from 13-17”)
3 Sandbass (2 small 1 about 4-5 lbs)
1 Sculpin

Too bad I lost the flats I tangled with but right when we left, the PM high tide was peaking out and the bite was accelerating by the minute, that’s when I caught that nice fat sandbass and I also had onther huge strike.

My brother had a long drive so as it got dark, we had to leave..

We took some pics but I seriously doubt I will get them from my brother anytime soon, I’ll add them when he does (sorry-forgot my camera at work)

Anyway, thought I’d let everyone know what the bites were like, good luck out there.
Should pick up with a decent weather pattern.
Gary

BIGRED KILLA
06-22-2009, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the report Gary sucks about the nice hali that broke of tho but at least you guys got on fish you will get that hali next time.

Bigred

fishfinder
06-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Sure sounds fun, i told myself i would take my boat to newport harbor this year, so i better get on it.

PONTOON
06-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the report Gary. That had to be pretty cool fishing with your brother.
I've come away with another piece of advice that I will remember...."Hooksets are Free". I like that. I'll add that to my memory banks as I did a little trick you used on the DVL cats. "stitch-stitch":Thumbs Up::Thumbs Up:

crappiemike
06-22-2009, 09:30 PM
thnx for the report, looks like them butts are on the chew!!!

from here to around mid oct??? if you use some live its on like FLIN!!!

CM

CAPT'N
06-22-2009, 10:52 PM
Nice way to spend the day Gary...................

TShaffer
06-22-2009, 11:31 PM
Wow that move the hali pulled on you and your brother sounded intense! Sorry about the lost legal. Sems like a good day for the conditions.

Wingnut
06-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Damn, hate it when you lose a nice fish! :Evil:
Sounds like a great day fishing with the bro Gary. :Cool:
Way to put him on some good action.

Indo-angler
06-25-2009, 10:14 AM
Nice going Gary. Sounds like the halis are a good fish to target.
Thanks for the report!
PM Sent

TroutOnly
06-26-2009, 07:06 AM
GREAT JOB AGAIN GARY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o

CudaChaser
06-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Gary - nice job in playing fishing guide. Putting newbies or non-fish fanatics to fish is almost...almost as satisfying as going bendo yourself. Amazing how fish can leap like that out of the net. I used to fish light tackle for bones at King Harbor - flyline live chovies and listen to the drag scream!

CudaChaser

DEADROOTS
06-26-2009, 05:54 PM
Sweet! I hit it up last night with Geordy and did pretty well. I lost a pig of a calico. Geordy and I concluded that it had to have been at least 4 and 1/2. there are a bunch of sandies there. Great work any who!