PDA

View Full Version : How long will a Reel last in salt water. . .

Odium
06-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Long story short, my friend went out kayak fishing for the first time. Got hit by a wave, flipped, lost his rod and reel in the water. This happened Yesterday (6-22-09)

Still viable to fish it out and get it cleaned up? or is he SoL?

HEMAN
06-22-2009, 02:13 PM
i would think it depends on how it was made, but i most reels i believe once it hits the bottom and then sand gets into the bearings and other small parts.. that it's not quite worth going after anymore.

Odium
06-22-2009, 02:16 PM
He lost an Avet SX. . .

sonarbp
06-22-2009, 02:20 PM
i would think it depends on how it was made, but i most reels i believe once it hits the bottom and then sand gets into the bearings and other small parts.. that it's not quite worth going after anymore.

Not entirely true!!!! The longer it sits at the bottom the more damage the salt and sand will do. If you retrieve the setup in a timely manner and spend the time to take the reel apart you can save it. Lots of work and cleaning but if it was a top $$$ reel it may be worth it!!

The waves and current can do amazing things!!!! The odds of you finding it are another story. The odds are that the setup will not be in the same place your buddy lost it.....he might just take it as a tough lesson learned and get a new setup!!!!!

Odium
06-22-2009, 02:24 PM
Not entirely true!!!! The longer it sits at the bottom the more damage the salt and sand will do. If you retrieve the setup in a timely manner and spend the time to take the reel apart you can save it. Lots of work and cleaning but if it was a top $$$ reel it may be worth it!!

The waves and current can do amazing things!!!! The odds of you finding it are another story. The odds are that the setup will not be in the same place your buddy lost it.....he might just take it as a tough lesson learned and get a new setup!!!!!

I'm on the same page as you, I'm not so sure it will be easy to find. But he's weighing his chances of going out and finding it today or tomorrow.

HEMAN
06-22-2009, 02:33 PM
good luck... scuba gear and a metal detector?

EastCoaster
06-22-2009, 02:56 PM
I have scuba gear, for the right amount of $$$ I would possibly think of coming out there and looking for it... Never really did any diving here on the west coast. The most I did here was on the Coronado Island, the US Coronado Island when I was attending seals scuba school while in the Marine Corps

Nessie Hunter
06-22-2009, 03:00 PM
He lost an Avet SX. . .

For sure, go after it!!!!!

Avet reels wont even blink after a day/two in the salt...
A good tear down and clean up and it will be like new again.....

Ricky-Ray
06-22-2009, 04:40 PM
For sure, go after it!!!!!

Avet reels wont even blink after a day/two in the salt...
A good tear down and clean up and it will be like new again.....

I agree totally with Nessie.

If he doesn't want to go after it you can always give me the coordinates of where he lost it and I'll conduct my own search and rescue operation for it. I could always add one more SX to the my little collection. :whistle:

Oz
06-22-2009, 06:14 PM
step away from the avet ricky. step away :ROFL:

sansou
06-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Assuming you find it....

Tear it all down, carb cleaner & toothbrush and then air compress dry and wipe with towel. Make sure you even pull the bearing shields off and carb cleaner and dry. Then go through and re-grease/oil, and voila! (Tani's site is super helpful in this regard).

Because its been sitting under water, I would highly recommend you even do the handle bearings. (need special tool though)

Avets have got to be one of the easiest reels to service. Nothing jumps out at you (ie. Penns!).

socalfish
06-22-2009, 07:39 PM
go after it good cleaning it will be fine. like they said earlier its not in the same place pretty big tide actually today was very high so its moved around alot. Wish You Guys The Best Of Luck!

fishfinder
06-22-2009, 07:44 PM
Ilost one in lake perris, that a catfish pulled in one night. went the next day and couldn't find it. So good luck in the ocean with currents and tides.

twopatch
06-24-2009, 03:38 PM
It will be good for a few weeks. If you do find it, soak it in fresh water for a day or so. Don't try turning the handle,the sand inside will chew up the gears.tear it apart,soak it in corrosionx. buy new berrings. You will be good to go!

twopatch
06-24-2009, 03:44 PM
Odium, You might tell you buddy that a jig master,on a ulgy stick. Is a great learning how to paddle,and fish, Rig.