PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good 3/4 day boat to take my son on.

trojans
06-22-2009, 11:52 AM
I've been getting my son into fishing so far we've done a bunch of twilight trips from Marina Del Rey. I'd like to take him on a longer trip to try and catch something other than sandies. I'm willing to travel to ventura or OC we are in the SFV. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

PS my son is seven.

jplee3
06-22-2009, 11:58 AM
I've been getting my son into fishing so far we've done a bunch of twilight trips from Marina Del Rey. I'd like to take him on a longer trip to try and catch something other than sandies. I'm willing to travel to ventura or OC we are in the SFV. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

PS my son is seven.

The Erna-B is highly recommended. The Coroloma is a pretty decent boat too. Both of these are out of the Ventura area.

The Pursuit and Spitfire I hear are good boats too.

Ricky-Ray
06-22-2009, 11:59 AM
I would highly recommend the Freelance out of Davey's Locker in Newport Beach. Captain Norris Tap is one of the best guys around and works hard to get everyone on the fish. The crew is just awesome too. They tend to cater to alot of vacationer's and first timers so they are use to taking care and spending the extra time with their customers to make sure everyone is catching fish and having a good time.

Norris loves kids too so if you ask he may even let your son up in the wheel house to and maybe sit in the captain's chair.

olfishergal
06-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Lots of good 3/4 day boats around..........Try Native Sun out of Long Beach, kid friendly and room for the kid to burn off some kid energy. Captain Hooks sportsfishing in Ventura offers good boats. Speed Twin is a 1/2 dayer but very kid friendly. Several other boats like the Island Spirit are very good. Stardust out of Santa Barbara is very kid friendly to boot. Feel free to PM me for the inside info and good luck. OFG

ToadsToadsOnly
06-22-2009, 12:40 PM
If you like a better chance at the exotics take the extra trek go to SD on the the San Diego Out of Seaforth or Dolphin out of H&M. If you want to keep it local in LA you cannot go wrong with the Pursuit out of 22nd st landing, OC Patriot out of Newport landing.

victor101
06-22-2009, 12:54 PM
I hear the Tradition out of Redondo Sportfishing will be online starting this weekend. Should be a great boat since the old Spitfire crew will be running it.

samgann93
06-22-2009, 01:24 PM
I would highly recommend the Freelance out of Davey's Locker in Newport Beach. Captain Norris Tap is one of the best guys around and works hard to get everyone on the fish. The crew is just awesome too. They tend to cater to alot of vacationer's and first timers so they are use to taking care and spending the extra time with their customers to make sure everyone is catching fish and having a good time.

Norris loves kids too so if you ask he may even let your son up in the wheel house to and maybe sit in the captain's chair.

X2

Great boat

liltri
06-22-2009, 07:33 PM
Why not try the Spitfire right outta MDR? Always small crowds and we always catch a variety of fish there

trojans
06-23-2009, 08:31 AM
Thanks everyone for the great leads. We look forward to trying them.