PDA

View Full Version : Hiked to Long Lake...

lalo56
06-21-2009, 08:58 PM
We caught alot of fish Thursday and Friday. Saturday morning we decided to make a hike up to Long Lake. I thought i wouldnt go. Last minute i decided to go and challenge myself with the hike. Once we got there lots of goldens and browns were caught. I took a nap then fished some too. Bite was hot!All fish there are wild though. Doesnt get stocked.

Til next year. We shall be there again.

tacklejunkie
06-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Nice work man. Sounds like fun.
There was goldens in long lake?

lalo56
06-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Nice work man. Sounds like fun.
There was goldens in long lake?

yah but all tiny!

lalo56
06-21-2009, 09:19 PM
we found a "honey hole" and just tossed there and bang was on. But like i said all were tiny goldens. Not many people were there. Saw a few people going aroung the lake but didnt see them with luck since they came back fast. When we were leaving some were coming up. They asked how was the fishing... I said was great! Next year will be better. I just haD a hard time breathing up the hike. I have pictures but dont want to post them up.

I saw Dana when we were coming down North Lake but we were in a rush so i couldnt stop. SORRY DANA!!!

lalo56
06-21-2009, 09:32 PM
We also went to Intake II and saw fat TROUT!! I saw dirty girl there and many other places with her son. I like to fish Intake II at the point where u cross the stream. It waS just full all the time. Was suppose to be stocked with Alpers. I have a picture of a fat one but didnt want to bite on the stream. We went all over the place. We caught nice size ones and wild trout too. Was fun. Next year will be better. I will post a pic of long lake

saintarv
06-21-2009, 11:04 PM
You must be tired after hiking at "Long" lake. :ROFL: Good job catching fish!

lalo56
06-22-2009, 04:56 AM
You must be tired after hiking at "Long" lake. :ROFL: Good job catching fish!

Tell me about it... I was not going on the hike then i convinced myself to go. After all was really fun. I took alot of breaks to get my breath but once you get up there. Its NICE!

It's so nice just to relax. Im very tired from the hiking, camping fishing. tomorrow back to work i go.

seal
06-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Thought Long Lake was all about the brookies, not Goldens. Been a while since I made that hike, also enjoy the Tyee Lake chain up there.

lalo56
06-22-2009, 02:10 PM
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h227/lalo56/Bishop%2009/P6200156.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h227/lalo56/Bishop%2009/P6200150.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h227/lalo56/Bishop%2009/P6200153.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h227/lalo56/Bishop%2009/P6200136.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h227/lalo56/Bishop%2009/P6200135.jpg

fishin fool
06-22-2009, 05:52 PM
I hate to burst your bubble, but there are no golden trout in Long Lake. There are rainbows, browns, and brookies. You were clearly catching brookies. By the way, the largest brown from Long Lake I've personally seen was 3 lbs. The largest that I've read about was about 15 lbs maybe 20 or so years ago. There are still some really large browns in the lake. If you want to catch goldens in the South lake drainage, you should go to the Treasures. There used to be pretty pure goldens in all 7 of the treasures untill they accidentally planted rainbow fingerlings about 15 years or so ago. The upper Treasures still have good populations of pure looking goldens. So does the stream below the lakes. The largest goldens I personally saw were 2 18" and 20" that a guy was hiking out with. He wouldn't tell us which of the Treasures he caught them from. Beautiful fish though:Smile: For better golden fishing, ask Jarod where to go. He knows the area well.
Tight lines,
fishin fool

jim532
06-23-2009, 11:10 AM
I hiked into long lake a couple weekends ago, We saw some monster brookies in there, and I mean MONSTER!

Troutman65
06-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Nice going on the trout. Wish I could of made the trip to Parchers this year. Maybe next year. Thanks for the post.:Cool:

sansou
06-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Nice pics! I bet the hike was murder. We did Treasure last year by horse, and after doing that, there's no way I could do it by foot without 12 smoke breaks.

Where's the pics of the goldens??

lalo56
06-23-2009, 07:11 PM
i may have confused the goldens with brooks. But yes the hike was tough! Will do it again though next time. Maybe im in better shape next year.

lalo56
06-23-2009, 07:15 PM
One of MANY breaks!

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h227/lalo56/Bishop%2009/P6200126.jpg

Troutman65
06-23-2009, 07:22 PM
I am not sure I would make that hike. In my 20 's I would of no problem. I think the horse or burro pack type trip is for me now a days. :LOL::Wink:

CatchthatTrout
06-23-2009, 07:33 PM
Nice report and those are some great pics.

I'm sorry that we didn't get a chance to chat at Parcher's.

The weekend went by so fast.

We shall fish next year up there.

sierraslam
06-24-2009, 07:07 AM
I did the Mosquito Flats Trail on Saturday as well. I think I saw you guys on the trail. there were 3 of us with full packs and the big, dare I say fat guy bringing up the rear was me. We made it to the Gem lakes, and Treasure Lakes. Lots of little Brookies for us. Did you happen to try out Box Lake? I saw a huge Brown in there 4-5 years ago and have never fished it since then. Nobody wanted to stop in my group and try it. I was kind of bummed out, but we did have a long walk to do. Looks like you all had a great time. good fishin!

lalo56
06-24-2009, 07:30 AM
I did the Mosquito Flats Trail on Saturday as well. I think I saw you guys on the trail. there were 3 of us with full packs and the big, dare I say fat guy bringing up the rear was me. We made it to the Gem lakes, and Treasure Lakes. Lots of little Brookies for us. Did you happen to try out Box Lake? I saw a huge Brown in there 4-5 years ago and have never fished it since then. Nobody wanted to stop in my group and try it. I was kind of bummed out, but we did have a long walk to do. Looks like you all had a great time. good fishin!

We only stopped at Long Lake. I think we were all tired after the hike up there. The younger guys had no problem getting there.

I saw a few bigger guys with packs, some going up and others going down. Maybe next year we will try another lake up in the area.

Nice report and those are some great pics.

I'm sorry that we didn't get a chance to chat at Parcher's.

The weekend went by so fast.

We shall fish next year up there.

Yes, the weekend went by very fast. Jammed pack with activities to do. Maybe catcha next time.

I am not sure I would make that hike. In my 20 's I would of no problem. I think the horse or burro pack type trip is for me now a days. :LOL::Wink:

I wasn't going to go because i feared i would not be able to make it, but at the last minute i decided to challenge myself and give it a shot. I was 3rd to last person on the hike, 6 others were ahead of us. Once hike was completed i felt accomplished and tired. :Big Grin:

tacklejunkie
06-24-2009, 08:24 AM
Is that the long lake in rock creek area or over near south lake?
Looks a little different that the long lake I have seen.

So does the stream below the lakes.That should be locked off by rocks to where the goldens can't get in or out of the lakes.. also I believe there is only 4 of them. If they were in the creeks below the lakes then they would be in Long, Gems, chicken foot and so on. There is also another treasure lake in a different area.

lalo56
06-24-2009, 08:29 AM
Its Long Lake, hiking towards Bishop Pass. About 1.5hrs if you dont make many stops. Took me 2hrs to get there. Trail starts by South Lake.

tacklejunkie
06-24-2009, 08:32 AM
Its Long Lake, hiking towards Bishop Pass. About 1.5hrs if you dont make many stops. Took me 2hrs to get there. Trail starts by South Lake.
Ah, thanks for the clarification.
You were a few canyons over from where I originally thought, and from where others are explaining in your thread. :Wink: (more than one long lake!)

Nice work yet again man. Gotta love those little piece of heaven lakes back in the sierras! Glad to see you decided to give it a shot and hit the trail! Not so bad ey?

sierraslam
06-24-2009, 10:57 AM
oops! I thought you were in the rockcreek area. Sorry. but good trip anyways.

lalo56
06-24-2009, 11:02 AM
It wasnt that bad. Although at times i felt like quitting as my feet started to feel heavy!!

Loco
06-24-2009, 04:49 PM
Try fishing at the inlet. Although I have never caught Goldens there, I have caught a few Rainbows over 12". Such a beuatiful place. There are nice size brookies in Bull Lake there also.