PDA

View Full Version : Inland Feeder project

GdHkSet1
06-21-2009, 08:15 AM
Reading this mornings local paper, says the lake is now pumping (NoCal) water into DV, with no plans for withdrawal this summer. Volume will increase when the INLAND FEEDER PROJECT is completed, anyone know what that project is? Big pipes coming from where??

Yea I'm skeptic of launching my boat ever again at DV, but news articles are suckering me into thinking about launching again SOME YEAR.

JediMindTricks
06-21-2009, 09:05 AM
thats fantastic. DV lives!

TrouTracker
06-21-2009, 02:12 PM
To Vince- Well, the article about the Inland Water Feeder project is correct. Water is being pumped into the Jewel 24/7. Keep in mind that it's not a major water feeder, but it's something to be happy about. This is the first positive thing we've heard in quite some time, so it's time we celebrate a small victory.
In addition, a good source tells me that MWD is taking bids on the launch ramp extension. This is very good news as well. All the hard work that Megan at Last Chance B&T has done has hopefully worked. The water level has increased over the past week. It may not be noticeable, but it's better then what's been happening the past year. Let's keep our fingers crossed and start thinking about getting our boats ready for the Jewel once more........
Barry A. Ogawa

GdHkSet1
06-21-2009, 09:15 PM
Right on Barry, I got stay ++, frustrating for alot of us far and near young and old. But yea I would'nt mind waiting in line from domenigoni like the old days sleeping in the truck to launch at the jewel again, hope to see ya on the water....

Indo-angler
06-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Reading this mornings local paper, says the lake is now pumping (NoCal) water into DV, with no plans for withdrawal this summer. Volume will increase when the INLAND FEEDER PROJECT is completed, anyone know what that project is? Big pipes coming from where??

Yea I'm skeptic of launching my boat ever again at DV, but news articles are suckering me into thinking about launching again SOME YEAR.

Thanks for the info!
That is encouraging. Do you have a link for the article?

tenderloin
06-22-2009, 08:36 AM
INLAND FEEDER PROJECT
http://www.mwdh2o.com/mwdh2o/pages/yourwater/supply/inlandfdr01.html

Water deliveries back at lake

http://www.pe.com/columns/bobpratte/stories/PE_News_Local_E_ebob21.44b9127.html
10:00 PM PDT on Saturday, June 20, 2009

BOB PRATTE

As predicted, after boat launching ended at stunning Diamond Valley Lake near Hemet and the hot May-June season for bass arrived, fishing turned exceptional.

Unexpectedly, about a week ago, Metropolitan Water District started pumping Northern California water into the big reservoir, which went more than two years without deliveries.

Without the pressure of extensive fishing and boat traffic on the lake, which is 4.5 miles long and 2.5 miles wide, fish aren't spooked into deep water.
Story continues below

"The bass just finished spawning and they are eating everything they can find," said Mike Giusti, the state Department of Fish and Game biologist who developed the fishery. "It's not quite as good as when we first opened, but it's not that far off."

Giusti said he caught 25 bass in a day for a study. Four fishermen caught 96 crappie Thursday. Fishermen also are catching stripers, bluegill and big catfish. "There are people who are catching 20 to 50 fish in a day," he said.

Anglers can get on the water by renting boats from the Diamond Valley Lake Marina or paddling their own kayaks or canoes. They can also cast from shore. Reservations are recommended for boat rentals, especially on weekends and half-price Wednesdays.

The closure of the lake to boat launching in October was decried in the San Jacinto Valley, where Metropolitan Water District's reservoir was touted as a recreational paradise and a big tourist draw when its construction was being promoted. Facilities built at the lake, though, were not as extensive as promised. Boat launching ended because the lake's water level fell below the concrete ramp, which has not yet been built to its full designed length. So far, MWD officials have not moved forward with plans to finish the ramp.

Bob Muir, an MWD spokesman, released glimmers of good news. He said that while water supplies remain low, the district does not plan to draw from the lake this summer, which will enable the rental docks to continue to float. The district's board this summer will discuss extending the ramp.

The lake level is at an elevation of 1,653 feet. The bottom of the ramp's elevation is high above, at 1,693 feet. The depth around the rental boat docks is down to a scant 9 feet. Away from the ramp area, the lake has depths greater than 100 feet.

Muir said MWD officials expected to receive only 10 percent of the annual allotment of water from the San Joaquin Valley, but when the projection was raised to 40 percent, the district began pumping Northern California water into the lake. While MWD will be able to pump more Northern California water into the lake, large volumes can't be available until the Inland Feeder Project is completed, which could be later this year.

Water from the Colorado River, the main source that filled the reservoir, is not being used because it can carry quagga mussels. It flows to other reservoirs that already have mussels.

Reach Bob Pratte at 951-763-3452, bpratte@PE.com or 474 W. Esplanade Ave., San Jacinto, CA 92583.

Indo-angler
06-22-2009, 10:23 AM
tenderloin thanks so much!!!!!!!!

chrislxf
06-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Inland feeder is 44 miles long conveyance system that connects the State Water Project to DVL and CRA. Even at about 1,000 cfs or 646 million gallons a day, it may not befully utilized for its capacity. The allotment for the norcal water is predetermined. Inland Feeder will not increase water level @ DVL unless the court rulling is overturned. The pipeline is still under construction though almost complete. I just looked out of the windows, they are still pouring concrete into the vault structure. It is due next year. Even if it's completed next year. the amount of water going into DVL is still hamper by the court decision to save delta smelt.

Fisherman57
06-22-2009, 12:49 PM
I've been following this and trying to get up to speed on it all but like "Chrislxf" said... there's still a long way to go and lots to overcome.

I know Mike Giusti reads this website from time to time...... hey Mike, can you update us on this?.....

Thanks,

Dana

Mike Giusti
06-23-2009, 04:27 PM
There is a little water coming into DVL right now from the CA aqueduct via Lake Silverwood and the lake rose maybe an inch or two in a week. It all depends on the weather and our use, if it will continue to rise or not. When the Inland Feeder is completed a lot more water could enter DVL. Of course, this is all subject to availabiltiy and court ruling. Not withstanding that, the end result could be an increase in water level over the long run. The latest projections I have heard is that Colorado River water "might" be available by this winter and that could bring a lot of water into DVL (they are working on the quagga issue as we speak). Right now everything is up in the air and we need to pray for major snowpacks in the Sierras and Rockies. Rain in so Cal doesn't usually help with making more water available to put in the lake.

For right now we just have to wait and see how things play out.

Mike

Fisherman57
06-23-2009, 05:00 PM
There is a little water coming into DVL right now from the CA aqueduct via Lake Silverwood and the lake rose maybe an inch or two in a week. It all depends on the weather and our use, if it will continue to rise or not. When the Inland Feeder is completed a lot more water could enter DVL. Of course, this is all subject to availabiltiy and court ruling. Not withstanding that, the end result could be an increase in water level over the long run. The latest projections I have heard is that Colorado River water "might" be available by this winter and that could bring a lot of water into DVL (they are working on the quagga issue as we speak). Right now everything is up in the air and we need to pray for major snowpacks in the Sierras and Rockies. Rain in so Cal doesn't usually help with making more water available to put in the lake.

For right now we just have to wait and see how things play out.

Mike

According to the MWD....... Diamond Valley Lake total capacity is approx 810,000 acre-feet of water and as of today (6/22/09)... it only has 344,709.......... about 43% of capacity.
http://www.mwdh2o.com/mwdh2o/pages/o...ns/storage.pdf

A long way to go before we get back to normal.

Thanks Mike..... I appreciate the update!
See ya soon.

Dana

GdHkSet1
06-27-2009, 08:36 AM
Thanks All to the updates. I drove by March AFB along I-215 and saw some big pipes being layed down, not sure if that was p/o of the feeder project.

JediMindTricks
06-27-2009, 09:13 AM
grrrrr. if your allowed to launch your own kayak. why cant i launch my 12ft boat? its literally as heavy and as easy to launch as a kayak!!!