PDA

View Full Version : WFO at SARL

Marley
06-21-2009, 01:10 AM
I wound up with too many hours at work this week and had to leave early Saturday. And what better thing to do with an evening off than to hit the local fishing hole! A quick run by the house for a change of clothes and an even quicker tackle-up and it was off to what has become a magic place for me, Santa Ana River Lakes.
I know, there’s a quarter of a million cars a day pass by just outside the fence and it’s not exactly a garden spot, but you can sit in a boat (or in your car in the driveway) and listen to peacocks call to each other as they climb to their roost, all the while watching the day fade into night. And besides, the fishing can be spectacular…
I tied up my ride over 30 feet of Santa Ana River water in what was really more evening breeze than I would have liked, and the boat quickly came tight on the anchors. Out went the offerings; a hunk of mackerel flylined on one stick, and a shrimp tail flylined on the other. Neither would make it to the bottom before being attacked, and both would end up as teaser morsels for the unseen quarry lurking below.
You’d think I had never done this or something. Maybe because I’d spent the last two weekends out chasing big game and totally struck out on both trips, maybe because it felt more like a trout hunt than a catfish hunt, but I totally farmed not only my first two hits, but the next two as well. What’s up with that?
Didn’t take much to acquaint myself with a bite again and the next time the 4-lb. was streaming of the Stradic, it was game on. A quick hookset and a couple of runs and my first catfish was in my net and going home for dinner.
A second fish quickly followed, as did enough to fill my limit. So quickly did I land my limit that I decided to buy another pass. 30 minutes in a boat really isn’t long enough at all. My second limit took a bit longer at just over an hour.
A third limit would have been greedy and since I’m not the world’s greatest at finding biting catfish, I figured I should save a little luck for next time out.
With one exception (and one LDR), my fish all came on flylined bait. The exceptions were when I put on a split shot and floated a shrimp 18” off the bottom. Otherwise, my fish came on either a shrimp or a hunk of mackerel. The fish seemed to be anywhere from 10 feet under the surface all the way to the bottom in 30 – 35 feet. There were guys around me catching fish with dropper loops and a wad of lead, but I prefer to use as little weight as possible for whatever I’m fishing for. It just feels better and I seem to catch more fish that way.
Line ultimately wasn't an issue as the fish hit the 12-lb. as readily as the 4-lb. And when the 12-lb. was wound on a Torium 14 tied to an 800xl, the poor things stood no chance...
There was no sign of the sturgeon they planted this week. They seem to be boiling or rolling on the surface, but they wanted nothing to do with a bait with a hook in it. Are they related to bluefin? Very few have been caught and they planted a lot, so maybe I’ll just have to get back over there next weekend…
I left my camera on my desk when I left so all the pictures I have are after the fact, but here you go…

A happy sink full of unhappy catfish…

http://www.allcoast.com/photos/data/504/100040DSCN26138043-med.jpg

I wish these things came apart as easily as trout…

http://www.allcoast.com/photos/data/504/100040DSCN26158044-med.jpg

Happiness is a huge gut pile, or at least a big bag full!
http://www.allcoast.com/photos/data/504/100040DSCN26168045-med.jpg

BigBass777
06-21-2009, 01:43 AM
Wow! Great catch. I wanted to go to SARL on Friday night. Had all my stuff ready to go. Buddy calls me about 4:30pm and says he won't get off work early enough. By the time he gets there it will be 7:30pm. Not really worth paying $22.00 for a few hours. Wish we had gone despite. Thanks for the report.

saintarv
06-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Great job Marley! It's been awhile since I heard a good report. How was the shore fishing? Was there alot of people there? I need to start fishing again. Nice looking cats.

Slims
06-21-2009, 10:52 AM
Great job Marley! It's been awhile since I heard a good report. How was the shore fishing? Was there alot of people there? I need to start fishing again. Nice looking cats.

The shore fishing was horrible. Absolutely terrible. Dismal. I have vowed many times to never go back, but I wanted to get a sturgeon, so $22 + $4 + $3.99 + bait + line + gas later I remembered why I vow to never go back every couple of years.

We started out at 6:45 in chris's pond. I drove the shoreline asking if anyone had any sturgeon, the answer was no from everyone. And I mean everyone. The people in tents from the 24 hour fishing had a few cats, and there were a couple of tilapia here and there, but nothing much. After a couple of hours and not a single nibble, we moved to levitz. Same deal, no hits, and not a single shore fishing person got a fish in the next few hours there. Then we went to the huck pond to see if any sturgeon were in there. Stuck around for a few minutes to remember what a bend rod looked like. Saw a happy little kid land one of the white catfish they stocked, then we moved on. We noticed the clump of boats literally feet from the dock, pulling out catfish after catfish. People were actually renting boats, and staying tied to the dock just to get to the circling school of catfish that no shore fisherman could cast to. It was ridiculous. I guess if you want a limit right now you'll have to drop 100 bucks or make sure to bring a boat because the shore fishing was seriously non existent.

Ended my day at the three pipes. Got one hit on a nightcrawler, but when I set the hook I was immediately on an underwater snag so I had to bust my line.

So, let me recount my SARL day for you: Nothing anywhere on the shoreline, I literally didnt see a single fish landed besides a tilapia besides the catfish in the huck pond. So I pretty much paid 22$ + other various fishing expenses like line, bait, snacks, and gas to sit with the 91 freeway traffic, playing gin with a friend. Sure, playing cards with an old buddy is cool, but we could have done that for free at least catching bluegill and carp at any local city pond.

And as far as bait goes, I had every sturgeon bait you could think of. Salmon roe, herring, smelt, freshwater clams, sardines, shad caught at the lake in my shad trap, shrimp, mackerel, squid, and crawlers. And I used every single type of bait I had for long periods of time. You would think that at least a catfish would have eaten any one of those baits. And with the "tons" of fish "stocked" there should have been at least a few hits.

My advice, save your money, or be willing to drop a ****-ton on a boat.

Marley
06-21-2009, 02:22 PM
Sorry you had such a bad experience. Unfortunately, it seems to be the rule rather than the exception.
My experience with catfish, and I am quick to admit this, is limited. I fish for them a few times each summer so I don't know the tricks as with trout, and that's probably why I get so excited about it when I actually catch some, especially a bunch of them. But I can say that it has always been a time-of-day and location thing. They just don't show up in the same spot with the relative regularity as do trout; mobility is key and you don't have that from the shoreline. But you have to be where the fish are to get bit.
I like to fly line baits. One of the best bites I have ever been in was at SARL one night a couple of summers ago when the fish were on top, of all places, over the deepest part of the lake. What is that, like 70 feet? Any bait that fell past 10 feet without getting bit by a 4- or 5-pound Mt. Lassen catfish just needed to be re-cast to score. I did very well that night...
Word is that not many sturgeon at all have been caught yet. You can look at the webcam and see every one...But that just means that they are still there and when they are done feasting on all the dead trout and shad, then they will hungry up and eat somnething with a hook in it.
Don't give up, but treat yourself to a boat rental. Sometimes it makes a difference.

Chandy
06-21-2009, 04:50 PM
The shore fishing was horrible. Absolutely terrible. Dismal. I have vowed many times to never go back, but I wanted to get a sturgeon, so $22 + $4 + $3.99 + bait + line + gas later I remembered why I vow to never go back every couple of years.

We started out at 6:45 in chris's pond. I drove the shoreline asking if anyone had any sturgeon, the answer was no from everyone. And I mean everyone. The people in tents from the 24 hour fishing had a few cats, and there were a couple of tilapia here and there, but nothing much. After a couple of hours and not a single nibble, we moved to levitz. Same deal, no hits, and not a single shore fishing person got a fish in the next few hours there. Then we went to the huck pond to see if any sturgeon were in there. Stuck around for a few minutes to remember what a bend rod looked like. Saw a happy little kid land one of the white catfish they stocked, then we moved on. We noticed the clump of boats literally feet from the dock, pulling out catfish after catfish. People were actually renting boats, and staying tied to the dock just to get to the circling school of catfish that no shore fisherman could cast to. It was ridiculous. I guess if you want a limit right now you'll have to drop 100 bucks or make sure to bring a boat because the shore fishing was seriously non existent.

Ended my day at the three pipes. Got one hit on a nightcrawler, but when I set the hook I was immediately on an underwater snag so I had to bust my line.

So, let me recount my SARL day for you: Nothing anywhere on the shoreline, I literally didnt see a single fish landed besides a tilapia besides the catfish in the huck pond. So I pretty much paid 22$ + other various fishing expenses like line, bait, snacks, and gas to sit with the 91 freeway traffic, playing gin with a friend. Sure, playing cards with an old buddy is cool, but we could have done that for free at least catching bluegill and carp at any local city pond.

And as far as bait goes, I had every sturgeon bait you could think of. Salmon roe, herring, smelt, freshwater clams, sardines, shad caught at the lake in my shad trap, shrimp, mackerel, squid, and crawlers. And I used every single type of bait I had for long periods of time. You would think that at least a catfish would have eaten any one of those baits. And with the "tons" of fish "stocked" there should have been at least a few hits.

My advice, save your money, or be willing to drop a ****-ton on a boat.

I concur.. i was there from open to close on the day pass and fished just north of the water pump and all i caught was a Buzz and a full stomach of BBQ

troutdog
06-22-2009, 12:11 PM
Apparently there are two "Marley's secret spots" :Wink:

Congrats on the easy limits!

TD

CASTAWAY
06-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Wow, nice work.:Cool:

Marley
06-22-2009, 03:22 PM
Apparently there are two "Marley's secret spots" :Wink:

Congrats on the easy limits!

TD

Thanks you!
But, only 2 secret spots? I'm hurt! :Big Smile:

troutdog
06-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Thanks you!
But, only 2 secret spots? I'm hurt! :Big Smile:

I should have said "only 2 secret spots in the OC" perhaps? :LOL:

TD

Marley
06-22-2009, 08:54 PM
I should have said "only 2 secret spots in the OC" perhaps? :LOL:

TD

That's funny. Marley has a couple of 'em, here and there...