PDA

View Full Version : Fish Finder Advice

BeMorWize
06-23-2007, 09:23 AM
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a fish finder for the new-used boat I purchased 2 months ago thas still sittin in the yard collecting dust cuzz I've been doing overtime for 7 days for tha last couple of months, no time to get her wet as of yet :oops: ....

I'm looking for something mainly for lakes, and sometimes Salt water-deeper depths...

-for around $200-$450.

Also, I've looked at a couple at the local Sports Chalet stores and wondered how good the "HUMMINGBIRD" is...the one for like $225, dual beam, 60 degree. 5 inch screen with 100 max depth. -Any have this model?

Gonna take pics and post the new baby as soon as I get her set up, just a couple of more things to do and shes water-ready .

Thanks for any advice, as Im open to any suggestions...

-John

BeMorWize
06-25-2007, 09:25 AM
Bump^^

Where are all the boat owners at??? I mean "Fish Finder" owners, tubers, anyone with a fish finder. Can you chime in on your type and your thoughts on your product?

I'm looking to pick up one asap but wanted some feed back on some types.

I'm looking at the hunningbird but don't know it its good or ????

Thanks!!!

-John

Socal Bassman
06-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Where are all the boat owners at??? I mean "Fish Finder" owners, tubers, anyone with a fish finder.
No kidding, where are all the electronic guru's out there. Don't know how much help I can be, but I used to have an old Humminbird on my float tube years ago. Can't remember the model, but it did work pretty good for me. Would definitely buy another Humminbird. Now that I'm looking for a pontoon or quite possibly an inexpensive aluminum boat, I have narrowed down my options to either a Lowrance X67c, Humminbird Matrix 17, and the Eagle Cuda 168. I've heard a lot of good things about the fishing buddy and the Piranha max from other tubers out there too.

BeMorWize
06-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Bump^^

Anyone else hace a fish finder :?: :?:

Where are ALL the boat OWNERS and FISH FINDER Owners at?? Newb here looking for advice. Gonna pick up a Fish finder within a couple of days, please lemme know if anyone has any feedback, as to Pros/Cons for a certain type of Fish finder.

Thanks Fellas,
John

smalweld
06-26-2007, 09:01 PM
The only one that I have used so far is a Hummingbird matrix 17. So far I have been able to tell what the temp is and how far I would sink. I do need to learn how to read the fishfinder Gets a bit annoying when you see all sorts of fish and you cant catch any. If I had to do it again I might be inclined to spend an extra hundred and get one with color. Might be easier to figure out what the bottom is with it and structure might show up a bit different.

grimpy
06-27-2007, 03:22 AM
If you want a fish finder just to know the depth and look for bottom structure, any decent one would be more than enough.

I have a colored Eagle 500C Fishmark. I also had the Eagle 320 Fishmark and 480 Seafinder. When it shows fishes, I don't catch crap... When I do catch stuff, there are no signs of fishes on the fish finder... Then again I, have no idea how to use the unit... Fishtracker is silly. The arches looks cool and all but I don't really use my fish finder to find fishes... I need to start reading the manual... :)

Sorry I couldn't have been more helpful.

Wassup
06-27-2007, 06:00 PM
The only one that I have used so far is a Hummingbird matrix 17. So far I have been able to tell what the temp is and how far I would sink.

I thought it was just me, lol. No kidding, we'll be trolling and I'll have the alarm set and the thing goes beep! beep! beep! and it shows 3 fish at 262 feet deep. I'm thinking 'it cant see any of the fish we caught out of that school, but it can tell there's 3 fish a foot off the botoom in 263' of water?'

Good to have on board for depth and it's sometimes entertaining to see a hundred fish go by while you dont get a nibble. :lol:

Oh by the way, I have a portable Humminbird and I guess it's ok. I have to leave my boat in storage so I dont keep anthing of value onboard.

BeMorWize
06-28-2007, 10:24 AM
Bump^^

kenmac33
06-28-2007, 07:54 PM
depends how much u want to spend. I have a lowrance 125 and a lms 334 with gps/color. I prefer the lowrance.

POSTAL
06-28-2007, 11:08 PM
I use humminbird and love it ,,works well and good price.

BeMorWize
06-29-2007, 08:16 AM
THANKS guys, I really aprreciate the info. Going to the Vine' this Sat and so I wanted to get a fisheee finder by then but I'll just have to do more research....

So its the Lowrance 125 and the Hummingbird thats preferred right guys?..

POSTAL- wat model Hummingbird do you have?

KENMAC33- how much is the Lowrance 125? and may I have the stats on the finder, depth, dual, degree of beams...etc...Ty!

Hmmm, hard decision, Hummingbird for $200 w/ dual beams @ 60 degrees and 100ft max dept,

or...

the Lowrance 125...which has???? beams?? max dept? and how much is it? Where can i find one and buy one? ( I noticed sports stores only have ok name brand- didn't see any lowrance, only hummingbird)

Which way would you guys go?... Quality but cost effective too....

Once again, thank you to all who replied, seems like there are only so many members trying to help out others.... Much Appreciated :!: :!:

jerryG
07-03-2007, 02:13 AM
depends how much u want to spend. I have a lowrance 125 and a lms 334 with gps/color. I prefer the lowrance.

I agree!

I've used a lowrance/ Eagle Fish Easy II for the past 6 years or so and I'm happy it. I mostly use it in saltwater and it has proven durable especially considering that I use it for my kayak. Bay fishing is fun but generally I save fishing the bays for days when the when the swells are too big to fish the coast. Much more ofthen then not most my kayak trips begin and end with a paddle through breaking surf. I don't paddle far to reach boilers, kelp, or inshore structure but sometimes getting there can be a little bit hectic.

I keep the lowrance in a dry bag for the launching and landing part of the trip. Once I'm safely out the breaker zone the Eagle comes out of the dry bag and on the mounting bracket. I supose a portable might be Ok but I prefer the non portable model myself. I have a small 12V tucked in a dry box that stays securely tucked away inside my hull.

As far as the unit goes it has taken beating and still works just as good as the day I got it. Gotta love that. I used to use it once or twice a week but for the past couple years I have not nearly as much time on the water as I would have like. Plus I still make it out fish the local sportboats, the surf, and I fish largemouth bass fishing a couple times a week. I wish I had more time fish but oh well.

If you don't want to spend much I would go with one of the Lowrance or Eagle Units. If mine fell over board I would have to say I certianly got my moneys worth out of it and I would not hesitate to out and get another one.

It would have been different if you told me that cost was not a concern and you were interested in the best Sonar available on the market. Then I would have to say Foruno all the way.. Like I said not what your looking for though.

Also take some time to learn how to use your fish finder. More then anything It helps you eliminate dead water so you can focus you can focus on more productive areas. I could go on and on about this kind of stuff but I won't. Good luck. Hope the info helps. See you on the water.

Thanks

Jerryg

BeMorWize
07-03-2007, 04:42 PM
Good info to know guys, THANK YOU all for all your time and help trying to find out which one is a decent model that you can get your "bang" for the buck.

Didn't know buying a fish finder would be this hard....thought it would be like, oh, -that one has color...and it shows fish and reads the depth, "I'll buy it!" Hahha. Well, shopping time it is....THanks guys once again!

-John

fishfinder
07-07-2007, 11:55 AM
LOWRANCE, Eagles are crap, they miss half the fish, and hummingbirds are a good cheap one. i have had both the hummingbird and eagle so i am speaking from experience. read some of the reviews on basspro.com about the diff models.
i am getting this one to replace my hummingbird.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... rchResults (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=48382&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults)
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/lowrance.jpg
some of the cheaper model H/B's only use the little fish pixles, and you dont know if you are looking at a 3 pounder or a 300 pounder.
get the one with the arches.
Hey ya gotta trust me cause "I'm FISHFINDER dammit"

oh yea and this one swivels around so you can see it anywhere on the boat too.

fishfinder
07-19-2007, 10:35 AM
Well which one did you buy?

BeMorWize
07-20-2007, 08:04 AM
Hey Fish Finder,

I havne't purchased it yet, still doing research, the finder is the last to do on my list and i'm on the finally on the last of my to do list :twisted:

I tried posting a report and pics of my NEW/Used boat for you guys to see but my photos are to big, I need to resize them but I dunno how to...any info on Re-Sizing pictures?...

As for the finder, it will be a week, no longer! Thanks again for everyones help, hope to post pics of her soon... been waiting for 7 years for this day to come, and now I can proudly say I have a BOAT! Time to break out another THOUSAND! LoL

-John

fishfinder
07-20-2007, 07:09 PM
i use the resize feature on the hp photo premier that came with my computer.
trythis
http://www.rw-designer.com/picture-resize
there are many on google search just type in photo resize

187fish
07-21-2007, 11:24 PM
Just thought I'd throw in my :2cents: , I have a Hummindird 777c2 quadrabeam on my rig and I love it. The clarity, target separation, and unit over all is excellent. Here is a link to read if your interested.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... rchResults (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=90702&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults)

It might cost a little bit more, but it is well worth it.

dragonrpc
07-23-2007, 11:41 AM
when I got my older boat last season, It had a eagle depth/sonar on the front, which works well just for depth knowledge while trolling, not as a FF though. the LMS300 that was there was toast, so I upgrade it to a lowrance $1k unit with color/GPS/topology/maps/sonar/split/etc. it works well, but still shows more fish then I am catching. I saw the jump in price for color/gps/topology so if your looking for basic blips on the screen, plenty of lms/lowrance/hummingbird low end units will all be "comparable"