PDA

View Full Version : MATT D'S bass boat project!!!

matt duarte
06-20-2009, 04:20 PM
ok guys well here it is!! and let me tell you im defently happy i didnt buy the aluminum boats i was looking at a while back.. so far im defently diggin this boat im going to buy some wood and carpet as well as some fiberglass to strengthin the wood..

me and whitney discovered a family of baby mice livin in one of the live wells lol good thing it was a live well, only one way in and one way out..anyway he tossed the ugly lookin things to the side..when i got home i found the momma lol..tiny lil thing, now shes either in the vacume or ran out when i filled the live well with water lol. im super stoked on this project that paint isnt really all that bad.. as you can see under the seat the boat paint was perfect lol bright blue.. but im going to be giving the boat a quick wet sand.. primer all the blue and spray on some marine grade white paint...now i just got to try and fit it in the garage hahaha...here are some more pix !

front shot..here you can see where ill be building a deck
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/baot2.jpg
rear shot of the boat..see the blue where the passenger seat was..
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/boat1.jpg
i was suprised to find out the gauges look awesome! no stratches
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/boat3.jpg
striking a pose
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/boat4.jpg
and another shot from the other side
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/boat5.jpg
i dont know if you can tell from the pix but even the trailer is freakin awesome! thanks again whit!

so keep a eye on this thread guys ill be updating it all the time!

samgann93
06-20-2009, 04:26 PM
good luck with the boat! ive been looking for a summer project also

matt duarte
06-20-2009, 04:52 PM
thanks dude! i defently got lucky with this one!

BIGRED KILLA
06-20-2009, 05:15 PM
good luck with the boat! ive been looking for a summer project also

PM me if You wanna buy a Ranger Bass Boat.

Bigred

BIGRED KILLA
06-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Thats going to be a sick bass boat good luck on it. I bet you will spend more time on the boat then on X-Box. lol

Bigred

matt duarte
06-20-2009, 05:47 PM
Thats going to be a sick bass boat good luck on it. I bet you will spend more time on the boat then on X-Box. lol

Bigred

haha thanks dude! im defently going to be on this thing all the time! i already found my self sitting in the drivers seat making engine noises lol

matt duarte
06-20-2009, 05:59 PM
heres a sticker thats on both sides of the boat...cant seem to find any pix of this type of boat when it was new...be cool to see what it looked like..

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/boat6.jpg

DropShotMan
06-20-2009, 07:29 PM
cant wait to see it done bro im glad it went to someone thats going to finish it. also my buddy has 2 bad ***** fish finders for sale so when your ready let me kno

socalrippin
06-20-2009, 07:53 PM
cool boat matt!!

Socal Bassman
06-20-2009, 09:55 PM
I can just see you and your bro in law racing across the lake now.

matt duarte
06-20-2009, 10:46 PM
haha im gonna try and race my buddys nitro z-7 lol he has a 150 supercharged on a 18-19fter and i got a 140 on a 17fter haha....

i gotta swing by and check out your boat socalbassman! i see a lil turney in our future! 20$ buy ins haha

DCCTrouserTrout
06-20-2009, 10:59 PM
where's the beer holder?

matt duarte
06-20-2009, 11:17 PM
where's the beer holder?

that b hidden under the dash....always undercover haha

Socal Bassman
06-21-2009, 12:26 AM
haha im gonna try and race my buddys nitro z-7 lol he has a 150 supercharged on a 18-19fter and i got a 140 on a 17fter haha....

i gotta swing by and check out your boat socalbassman! i see a lil turney in our future! 20$ buy ins haha

That boat should fly with the 140 strapped on the back of it. I don't think your boat is nearly as heavy as his z-7. Should be an interesting race. :LOL:

GeordyBass
06-21-2009, 12:33 AM
The only way Matt will race that dude is.....if that thing runs!!! LOL....J/k Matty....Nitros' are very heavy boats(maybe 600lbs more than yours) so yeah,It'll be a very interesting race! Your boat will easily hit 50....maybe 55-63 at W.O.T. I wanna see a video when it happens! Oh yeah,Matt should do the old school beer hiding trick,in a coffee cup...lol...Keep us updated Mathew,,,haha

matt duarte
06-21-2009, 07:41 AM
The only way Matt will race that dude is.....if that thing runs!!! LOL....J/k Matty....Nitros' are very heavy boats(maybe 600lbs more than yours) so yeah,It'll be a very interesting race! Your boat will easily hit 50....maybe 55-63 at W.O.T. I wanna see a video when it happens! Oh yeah,Matt should do the old school beer hiding trick,in a coffee cup...lol...Keep us updated Mathew,,,haha

haha my dad put his beer in his coffee cup lol

THROWBACK RANGER
06-21-2009, 10:44 AM

MATT D, IM IN!! I GOT THE THROWBACK RANGER ON STANDY! WAITING TO SWITCH OUT MOTORS! BATTLE OF THE BASS BUCKETS!!!

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/EL_JEFFE420/12-29-07_1708-1.jpg

matt duarte
06-21-2009, 10:58 AM
MATT D, IM IN!! I GOT THE THROWBACK RANGER ON STANDY! WAITING TO SWITCH OUT MOTORS! BATTLE OF THE BASS BUCKETS!!!

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/EL_JEFFE420/12-29-07_1708-1.jpg

nice dude! we can call it the classic bass boat classic hahaha CBBC

GeordyBass
06-21-2009, 01:14 PM
nice dude! we can call it the classic bass boat classic hahaha CBBC

How about bass bucket classic classic race! I'll stay out of this one.....My 17' only gets up to 35 with a 40....hahaha....You beat me by 100hp Matt damn you! :-)

Socal Bassman
06-21-2009, 03:03 PM
It's alright Geordy, you can be the camera man. :LOL:

Astrolux
06-21-2009, 04:38 PM
Good luck on the project.

tacklejunkie
06-21-2009, 06:28 PM
I'll drop the race start flag on SS tacklejunkie
:Titanic:

matt duarte
06-21-2009, 07:45 PM
haha thanks guys...i didnt get a chance to get the wood today because of all the fathers day stuff going on so im going to homedepot and getting the wood than to west marine or somewhere like to get the carpet... one of my father in laws buddys also my wifes best friends dad is going to paint my boat...he has the sprayer and already did a awesome custom 2 tone paint job on his boat..so i figure i buy the paint and just pay him for labor hopefully i can get it done for under 200... we well see... proly will pick up the passanger seat and the drivers seat tomorrow as well...

i found 2 different types of carpet.. one thats the texture of astro turf (indoor outdoor carpet i think its called) or the "normal" carpet thats in newer bass boats...any one have any experience with the 2?

Socal Bassman
06-21-2009, 09:05 PM
Hey bro, I was at West Marine earlier today and didn't find any carpet. As a matter of fact, they didn't carry any of the items I was looking for.

matt duarte
06-21-2009, 09:22 PM
Hey bro, I was at West Marine earlier today and didn't find any carpet. As a matter of fact, they didn't carry any of the items I was looking for.

damn that sux...maybe BPS.. there has to be some boat shops around here...hmmm maybe ill just put some astro terf lol it will look like grass on the boat haha

Astrolux
06-21-2009, 09:24 PM
The carpet on the big rolls at home depot is just as good as any and cheap as well. My dad has refurbished a few boats and the carpet came from the depot. As long as you dont let the sun rot the carpet you wont have any problems.

matt duarte
06-21-2009, 09:37 PM
how long does it last compared to boat carpet? i know you cover it while parked but what about time on the water

Astrolux
06-21-2009, 09:45 PM
As long as its taken care of its gonna last you. And if your worried about it I believe Lowes and Home Depot both carry carpet that is outdoor and marine grade. Either way you go, Lowes/HomeDepot is going to be cheaper than Bass Pro or a marine shop.

johnsfishing
06-21-2009, 10:16 PM
definately go to Home Depot or Lowes for your carpet!
if you are able to, take the doors of the compartment out of the boat and wrap the carpet over the edge to the back, fold the corners neatly and use a staple gun to secure it! Good Luck dude.

johnsfishing

GeordyBass
06-21-2009, 10:28 PM
It's alright Geordy, you can be the camera man. :LOL:

LOLOLOLOLOL....I'll keep the camera though....hahaha....Hey Matthew, I saw some outdoor carpet at home depot....It's the good stuff though,i think like $5-6 a yard.....My lowe needs carpeting too,but I don't really care....It smells and I'm not worried to keep it clean anyways! Blood is spilt al inside! Woohoooooo!

matt duarte
06-21-2009, 11:05 PM
LOLOLOLOLOL....I'll keep the camera though....hahaha....Hey Matthew, I saw some outdoor carpet at home depot....It's the good stuff though,i think like $5-6 a yard.....My lowe needs carpeting too,but I don't really care....It smells and I'm not worried to keep it clean anyways! Blood is spilt al inside! Woohoooooo!

5 or 6 bucks a yard! im going there tomorrow! haha

fishrookie
06-22-2009, 12:28 AM
if you want boat carpet go to J&J upholstery supply in rialto off of riverside drive they have it.
use 3/4 plywood. you can either treat it with thompson water sealer or coat the whole pieces with fiberglass resin

matt duarte
06-22-2009, 07:04 AM
3/4" really???? seems a lil thick, i was gonna use 5/8ths or something...home depot is closer lol

matt duarte
06-22-2009, 01:13 PM
thanks to lowes i got the wood i need as well as the carpet which is UV treated for 60$ cant beat that...i think i bought way to much carpet to lol 7' x 12'.. when i got home a looked at that boat, i found out i got proly 4ft or so 2 much lol..
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/carpetandwood.jpg

Astrolux
06-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Oh well, there is def. nothing wrong with having a little extra!!!

matt duarte
06-22-2009, 01:43 PM
ya definitely i was thinking of carpeting the entire back deck and down the seat backs..might of been good to over estimate

Troutman65
06-23-2009, 08:53 PM
Matt, nice to see you out at the lake picking up your new boat . I hope your up and running ( fishing ) soon.

matt duarte
06-23-2009, 09:24 PM
hey pat its was nice to finally meet you to! im already tearin the capet out of the boat.. i got the carpet off the the front deck today...man that crap is glued on good! lol thank god the rest of the boat is mainly just the lids...no more rippin carpet off the top of the boat.. tomorrow ill start on all the lids than start to prep for paint...

has anyone ever used rattle cans for their boat paint job....i painted a small area on the boat to see how it turns out...idk though.. i do have a buddy that will paint my boat..but having to take it to his house and leave it there kinda sux.. any info???spray paint???

matt duarte
06-24-2009, 08:24 AM
heres a picture of the carpet getting removed the on the front deck..man what a PITA!
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/carpetremoved.jpg

jase33
06-24-2009, 09:51 AM
matt check out bass boat central....good section on boat resto....

matt duarte
06-24-2009, 10:17 AM
well i just got done getting all that glue off in the picture above!! good thing that was the only place carpet was glued to the boat! the rest are just live wells, conpartments, and other misc. cubbies.. then i got to start sanding.....booooo!!!! lol

NICKYMOUSE8
06-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Hey Matt D do you plan on a powder coat for that trailer or is it in good condition?p.s Love the blue flake on the speedometer can still get a paint flake job like that now a days im guessing it's a late 70's early 80's boat radical though nautical get it J/k:Envious:

matt duarte
06-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Hey Matt D do you plan on a powder coat for that trailer or is it in good condition?p.s Love the blue flake on the speedometer can still get a paint flake job like that now a days im guessing it's a late 70's early 80's boat radical though nautical get it J/k:Envious:

actually the trailer is in awesome shape! no rust..paint looks good...could use better rims and tires..ya its a 78 glastron hp-171 bass boat..ill take a picture of the parts of the boat where he paint is still looking brand new...it looks awesome! i wish the rest of the boat looked like it... im proly just going to paint it a glossy white or something

Troutman65
06-24-2009, 08:25 PM
heres a picture of the carpet getting removed the on the front deck..man what a PITA!
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/carpetremoved.jpg

Yeah Matt, removing the carpet is tuff work for sure. Keep at it and in no time you will have it done.

I enjoy reading and seeing the progress you are making on the boat. :Cool::Big Grin:

Hope to see you at the lake when its done :Wink::Big Grin:

TM65

matt duarte
06-25-2009, 09:57 AM
ill definitely take it down to the vine when its down pat you know ill have to show it off down there since everyone there saw it how it was...lol

well thinking about the paint is the thing thats getting me on the project right now..i have everything for the carpet and floors but i dont want to lay it down untill i paint it cause it will be just more to mask off..sooo i have a few people that said they will spray it for me just havent got a price from them yet...i called macco and some other car places one said NO one said 500$!! lol so just playing with the idea still i found some white spray paint from my RC cars and played a lil...it actually doesnt look that bad... im sure with a gloss paint and clear coat it would look better..the hardest part would be to get rid of all the spray strokes..
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/spraypaint.jpg

i also hear that you can roll the paint on...i guess i need to look in to this a lil more but it just seems dangerous lol painting walls with a roller can get hecktic some times haha..i would thing it would drip or leave roll marks???i could be wrong though..anyone have info on rolling the paint on a boat?

Ronira
06-25-2009, 01:59 PM
You want to use my gun dawg? Free? I don't want any money, just a ride one time after it's done.

matt duarte
06-25-2009, 02:27 PM
the hard part would be finding a good place to paint it... the people next door might get mad if there car has white over spray on it lol...rattle can can be done in the garage...i gotta price out the paint

Ronira
06-25-2009, 02:30 PM
Okay Matt, either way. Stuffs just sitting here anyway. Good luck man.

RRTGuy
06-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Pretty easy to turn your garage into a makeshift paintbooth with some decent mil plastic drop cloth and some duct tape. Would be the best place to shoot it with a gun anyways, out of the wind.

my $.02

DropShotMan
06-25-2009, 05:27 PM
looking good bro, if you need help setting up a paint booth let me know ive done it alot of times when i had to paint my classic cars, anywho its looks like is coming back to life kinda wish i didnt sell it now hahah

tacklejunkie
06-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Matt,
I think you can score a pancake compressor and a vertical feed auto paint gun at Harbor Freight for like $150 for both. Just another idea.
Would cover that boat in no time.

I think Ron has you covered too. Grab a big roll of plastic drop like dude says above and mask off a booth in your garage around the ship. Then spray 'er down with the gun in one sitting!

Don't be usin no lexand paint for RC cars now! You'll regret it later! You can paint this puppy no prob!

matt duarte
06-25-2009, 08:18 PM
i know i know...im not gonna paint it with rc paint lol...ill see how it going..only reason im leaning to rattle cans is cause i really dont have that much to paint.. most if its going to be carpet...

more sanding tomorrow..

fleaflicker
06-26-2009, 09:58 AM
Don't overdo the sanding, you don't want to expose any of the fiberglass. Water will soak into the exposed fibers.

Sand it just enough to get the shine off the gel coat, prime, wet sand, prime again, wet sand again, and then put your topcoat on. A good finish is the reult of good surface preparation.

matt duarte
06-29-2009, 09:55 AM
once the gel coat is removed and boat is painted..will i HAVE to re-apply the gelcoat or will a simple clear coat work fine? not to worried about being pretty just want to make sure water wont seep into the fiberglass...im not planning on sanding it down to the bare glass just mainly ruff up the paint.. and im only removing the gelcoat on the top side of the boat not the hull the hull is perfect just the paint is poopy

SkunkyZach
06-29-2009, 10:07 AM
Matt,
you don't really want to take all the gel coat off, just scratch the surface of the gelocoat.
But, if you haven't started painting, and you like the color of the gel coat, I think you should try to restore the OG gel coat a little. With proper wetsanding and the right compounds to buff it out with, you should be able to make it look like new again. You can buy 800 - 2000 grit sand paper at Auto Zone etc. As for the compound, a paint supplier, like Finishmaster, or WestMarine would also have some.

I have a dewalt buffer and would be more than happy to come help buff it out. If interested in taking that route, just hit me up.

matt duarte
06-29-2009, 11:08 AM
well there are some spots where the gel coat is completly gone or looks that way anyway.. you can see a clear or gle coat peelin or chippin off..so the spots the do have the gel coat left i should just sand it down? seems like it would leave a high spot

SkunkyZach
06-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Sounds like the gel coat might be to far gone... So sand it down, and shoot it. I would definetly try and use a spray gun and automtive paint if possible. A gallon of cheap single stage is under $100 with hardener, and I am sure there is enough people willing to give you a hand getting it ready. As for painting it, A temporary booth made of plastic in the garage is pretty easy, I've done it more than once. Just my two cents.
By the way, sweet boat, I'm always watching for an update on it...

matt duarte
06-30-2009, 09:32 PM
i found these magizne clips of my boat..i posted it in a nother thread and realized i should of posted them on this thread lol well heres the history on my boat!
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/Cover.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/HP154.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/HP171.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/HPV170_2.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/HPV175.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/HPV175_2.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/Rick.jpg

fishrookie
06-30-2009, 10:58 PM
you need to reflake it the color it was and then have the upholstery done in kodiak blue metal flake

matt duarte
07-01-2009, 12:18 PM
you need to reflake it the color it was and then have the upholstery done in kodiak blue metal flake

lol naw im not going to reflake it..the sparkle is cool but i like the solid color boats better..and as for the seats in just going to buy new ones.. it will proly cost more to have them redone.. a simple white paint job with a autozone or napa auto GT steering wheel and ill be golden!

is there any way to spray on a gel coat or does it need to be put on like a epoxy?

fishrookie
07-01-2009, 09:13 PM
you can spray on a gel coat but it is one nasty mother to get off the floor. you have to use a big tip on your spray gun. i worked with guy at a body shop who recoated his boat with white gel coat. the hole floor in the booth was white. i would go to one of the boat shops in corona they could tell you where to get it if thats what you want to do. or you could try the plastics store on university, off the 91 fwy. they sell all kinds of stuff for fiberglass.

matt duarte
07-01-2009, 09:44 PM
oh so the gel coat is the color? my boat it looks like it was painted when coated with a clear coat... ill proly just get a good marine clear coat or auto....a gel coat seems like something i dont want to do lol

GeordyBass
07-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Matt Duarte is a bait n' waiter! lol....so any updates matty boy?

matt duarte
07-01-2009, 10:49 PM
lol oic talkin boat building smack ya ya ya gordy ive been sanding this bad boy down so i can paint it.. i have all the carpet and wood i just donw want to law it without it being painted...wanna come sand it for me you seem to be pretty good at it haha..

anyway i tested out the rod locker lol, today to see if my swimbait rod would fit..and what do you know it fits perfect with room to spare!
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/rodsotrage2.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/rodstorage.jpg

Hometown
07-01-2009, 10:57 PM
ok guys well here it is!! And let me tell you im defently happy i didnt buy the aluminum boats i was looking at a while back.. So far im defently diggin this boat im going to buy some wood and carpet as well as some fiberglass to strengthin the wood..

Me and whitney discovered a family of baby mice livin in one of the live wells lol good thing it was a live well, only one way in and one way out..anyway he tossed the ugly lookin things to the side..when i got home i found the momma lol..tiny lil thing, now shes either in the vacume or ran out when i filled the live well with water lol. Im super stoked on this project that paint isnt really all that bad.. As you can see under the seat the boat paint was perfect lol bright blue.. But im going to be giving the boat a quick wet sand.. Primer all the blue and spray on some marine grade white paint...now i just got to try and fit it in the garage hahaha...here are some more pix !

Front shot..here you can see where ill be building a deck
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneupfabrication/baot2.jpg
rear shot of the boat..see the blue where the passenger seat was..
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneupfabrication/boat1.jpg
i was suprised to find out the gauges look awesome! No stratches
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneupfabrication/boat3.jpg
striking a pose
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneupfabrication/boat4.jpg
and another shot from the other side
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneupfabrication/boat5.jpg
i dont know if you can tell from the pix but even the trailer is freakin awesome! Thanks again whit!

So keep a eye on this thread guys ill be updating it all the time!
you mite want to think about the white paint .when i painted my boats inside white i got snow blind repaited a navy gray good luck

BingJr
07-07-2009, 08:13 PM
Matty Durock,

Call me. You can get my number from Whit or Jimminy. I have a few ideas/questions about your boat refinishing process.

Jimmy310
07-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Check your local Auto body supply stores and see if they rent out their booth for painting. I have done a few project cars and bikes and I rent out the booth for 1/2 a day or whole day. On the 1/2 day I make sure to get the after noon shot that way it stays over night to cure better. Just put my padlock on the doors :Twisted:

Troutman65
07-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Just checking back in to see the progress on your boat. You get the lower unit fixed yet?

matt duarte
07-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Just checking back in to see the progress on your boat. You get the lower unit fixed yet?

no i havent even touched the motor yet...still workin on sanding this beast down so i can primer it...then after that its the floor and carpet that i have needs to be cut to fit. than ill tackle the motor... ive talked to a few people and finding the right gear to match up the top with the bottom shouldnt be to big of a problem..thats why im leavin that till last.. hopefully i get this thing sanded down soon cause.....well prep work just plain sux lol

thanks for checkin up pat!

SkunkyZach
07-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Matt,

Hows the prep going on the boat? You still remember you have a boat, right. j/k Im just excited to see the boat all pretty in white:Embarrassed:

fishmounter
07-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Matt.. Put me on your boat guest list for when you get her done and in the water. Should be an awesome fishing boat. Are you going to put her in salt water or just fresh?

matt duarte
07-24-2009, 03:14 PM
haha ya still got the boat... only one side of the boat still needs to be sanded...its just so damn hot...

SkunkyZach
07-24-2009, 03:46 PM
Its for sure to hot to be sanding... I was just making sure you didn't finish the boat and not tell 'cause you didn't want to give everyone on FNN a trip out on the lake.:ROFL:

Socal Bassman
07-24-2009, 09:51 PM
haha ya still got the boat... only one side of the boat still needs to be sanded...its just so damn hot...

No joke there bro. I only have half the boat sanded too. This hot weather beats you down fast when you're out sanding. I keep telling myself that it will be worth it in the end.