PDA

View Full Version : MDR on foot 6/20

gman444
06-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Went over to MDR today to try and get some halibut. Tried pretty much everywhere for no luck on hardbaits or dropshot. Talked to some guys on the bridge over the LA River/Ballona Creek mouth and they said it was pretty consistent on live anchovies but that plastics werent getting bit, I tried there for a while and then gave up and fished bass. I caught several dink calicos dropshotting little freshwater bass jerkshads.

This was the average fish

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv17/gman444/001-2.jpg

I walked to a spot i never tried before and was messing around with some crankbaits when I saw a bass boil on some little tiny smelt. I tied on my little jerkshad again and tossed it to the same spot. I twitched twice and felt a little tick, twitched again and went BENDO. I knew this was a nice fish, I thought it might be a sand bass but when I got it to color i saw it was a big spottie. I thought MDR only had Calico's and Sandie's?? :Confused: I quickly weighed it before releasing it and it went 3 lbs. 6 oz. on my digital scale. My PB Spottie :Envious:

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv17/gman444/002-2.jpg

It was a pretty fun quick session. I wish i had a little boat cause I talked to some kayakers and they said it was pretty Wide Open at the outer breakwall for bass and halibut. I still am yet to catch a halibut in MDR but at least the bass have been kind :Big Grin:

Greg

reaktion4
06-20-2009, 03:46 PM
Good Job on that FAT Spottie

BIGRED KILLA
06-20-2009, 05:13 PM
MDR has spotties but not like NP or LB a lot of people like to keep it on the DL there's quality not quantity in there. That is a nice spottie for sure thanks for the pics and report keep it up.

Bigred

bsp
06-20-2009, 05:31 PM
MDR spotties are big but not common. Congrats on such a good fish!

victor101
06-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the MDR report! I was there earlier today on one of the jetties...didnt do as well as you did. good job!

SmellsLikeFishing85
06-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Congratulations on that nice spottie! I haven't caught any myself, the time that I have fished there have only been "bait and wait", resulting in some rays, also caught a 5" or so barracuda messing with a kastmaster but thats about it...good job there!

cappo
06-20-2009, 06:50 PM
nice spottie man

flyngby
06-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Way to find the nicer model spotty!!!

Thanks for the report and look forward to the next.

Steve

ODOGFISH
06-21-2009, 08:50 PM
dude nice MDR spotie

GeordyBass
06-21-2009, 10:17 PM
Nice! Looks like the Spottie I caught a few months ago! lol...I bet it is the one I caught....lol....Me and ghetto_dad ate it while we went tire shopping though....j/k

victor101
06-21-2009, 10:30 PM
Nice! Looks like the Spottie I caught a few months ago! lol...I bet it is the one I caught....lol....Me and ghetto_dad ate it while we went tire shopping though....j/k

GD knows how to hook up the spotties...he made some pretty good Spottie sashimi the last time we hit NPH together.

gletemfeelsteelgary
06-22-2009, 02:50 PM
congrats on ur catches....keep up the attack, you'll get on some halibut sooner or later, explore all the areas and try to focus your attack on the incomming tide and high tide (2 hrs b4 - high & 2 hrs after)

You may find that you do better...the higher of the 2 high tides in a day as well..

You can get fish all day long there but you'll find more large fish activity focusing on the right tides.

You seem to have done pretty well though, you did what the epitomy of fishing is:
"go fishing......CATCH FISH !" not everyone has a grasp on that..

Congrats, thats a nice spottie, they are not very prominent in that bay..

Keep up the pounding, you may want explore the other jetty too, near the lighthouse on the rocks and about halfway in from the lighthouse...and at the right time, right where the surf meets the jetty, basically surf fishing but U stand on the jetty, I've got flatties in all the aforementioned areas...

One last pc of advice (not that you asked for advice) try gulp alive minnows or the jerkshad..

Congrats on your catches...well done !
Gary