PDA

View Full Version : Castaic/Piru...

PitchFish
06-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Fished Piru once this week(Tues)....Fished Castaic Upper(Wed)...Fished Castaic Upper from shore-West Ramp(Today-Sat 6/20).

Piru seems like the place if you just want to get good action. Caught and released 22 fish at Piru(12 LMB and 8 Trout). All were caught on Robo-worms, split-shot). The biggest bass was only about 1.5 pounds, and the biggest trout was prob. 14 inches)

Castaic Upper, fished Slalom Cove and caught 8 LMB all on Robos in about 5-15 feet of water.

Fished Castaic West Ramp this morning. Got there at 6:20 and got two LMB off to the right of the launch ramp. Caught both fish between 7-8am, then nothing afterwards from 8-11am. Caught first bass, approx. 2lbs on a night crawler. Caught the second LMB, approx. 2-2.5 lbs on a drop shot robo worm(Hologram Shad straight tail). This was actually kind of cool, since I always read about the drop shot being hot. I have only tried a couple times before, and this was my first drop shot fish. Threw it as far as I could straight out to where the 5mph bouy is, let it sink to the bottom, reeled it in a few feet, then let it sit for a minute or so, then wiggled the rod tip a bit. Once I stopped I saw my line straightened out, then it went slack, then when I saw it start to straighten ourt again I knew something was there, so I set the hook rather hard and there it was. As I got it towards shore it really started to fight, I thought that maybe it might be a 4-5 lber. It actually took me under a big rock and I was actually stuck there for a minute or so before it came back out and up out of the water. Finally got it in and it was a solid 2+ lber.

If anyone has any drop shot tips, I would love them, it was still pretty cool getting that first one.

Liteweight
06-20-2009, 11:40 PM
Congrats!
Sounds like a good couple of days on a couple of different lakes.
There's really not much to drop shotting. You may want to experiment with different lengths between hook and sinker or different types of baits like flukes and a faster retrieve.
Robert.