PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing North Lake

youngfisher22
06-19-2009, 05:36 PM
Me and a friend have fished north lake before but never have been fly fishing there. Any suggestions on what flies to use? Any advice would be great.

Thanks, Youngfisher

seal
06-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Well you have a few options there. You can go for the native population, browns, brooks, native bows, or you can target the planters/Alpers.

The natives like to hang by the reeds and in the channel just off from there. The planters and Alpers will hang out in the channel also and all over the little lake. If targeting the native population I would go with nymphs (prince and flashback pheasant tails), midges and if the fish are up try a small dry fly (real small!). You can definitely do the stillwater nymphing with midges and nymphs there. For just all around fun I would go with a black wooly bugger. You can use a full sink line in the deeper water or go with a beadhead with floating line or intermediate line with a sink tip.

Try it early or late and if Alpers have recently been stocked try over by the creek outlet, shallow water, but I have pulled some biguns out over there.

GOOD LUCK HAVE FUN!

Liteweight
06-21-2009, 01:36 AM
Along with the Black Woolly Bugger, I'd also go with the olive one (damselfly imitation) and Twin Lakes Specials both with and without rubber legs. Also try Muddllers, Hornbergs (always a favorite in the Sierra's), a Kelly Bundy, a MaryAnn (dark version of the Kelly Bundy-both are Sierra Drifter's patterns, leech patterns and a red throated Olive Matuka.
Robert.

seal
06-22-2009, 09:39 AM
Along with the Black Woolly Bugger, I'd also go with the olive one (damselfly imitation) and Twin Lakes Specials both with and without rubber legs. Also try Muddllers, Hornbergs (always a favorite in the Sierra's), a Kelly Bundy, a MaryAnn (dark version of the Kelly Bundy-both are Sierra Drifter's patterns, leech patterns and a red throated Olive Matuka.
Robert.

Yup good advise, forgot about the red throated Olive Matuka, that kills um up there at North Lake, most any lake for that matter. Also on the olive tie it with a pair of dazzle/dumbell eyes and get it even closer to a damselfly imitation.