PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite set up for catfish?

bassin g
06-19-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm talking about rod,reel,line,sinker sz. and hooks and whats your favorites baits.

My set up
for shore fishing 8'6'' custom spinning rod/shimano sonora 4000 spinning reel
6'6'' shimano clarus med spinning rod/sonora 4000 spinning reel
from boat 7' ft ugly stik lite baitcast rod/daiwa millionare reel
hooks: gamakatsu 2/0,3/0 octopus hook, eagle claw 1/0 to 4/0
line: suffix siege 10 to 20 lb test
sinker: sz.1/4oz to 1oz
bait: shrimp,chicken liver, mackerel,mealworms and nightcrawlers

Hate2Fish
06-20-2009, 01:33 AM
$39 Target stick with reel
10 lb cheap line
2-#10 hooks with 1/2 oz weight
Chicken Liver cured with Garlic Powder & Garlic Salt

Fish Shade

BRING IT
06-20-2009, 07:26 AM
FOR ME A 24oz TALL BOY CAN, K-MART 20LB ROPE . SPARK PLUG FOR A WEIGHT ANY HOOK WILL DO, AS FOR BAIT CIGARETTE BUTT (KOOL) THEY WORK THE BEST:Secret: LIMITS IN NO TIME:Dancing Banana::Dancing Banana::Dancing Banana:

The Angler
06-20-2009, 12:57 PM
FOR ME A 24oz TALL BOY CAN, K-MART 20LB ROPE . SPARK PLUG FOR A WEIGHT ANY HOOK WILL DO, AS FOR BAIT CIGARETTE BUTT (KOOL) THEY WORK THE BEST:Secret: LIMITS IN NO TIME:Dancing Banana::Dancing Banana::Dancing Banana:

??????:Rolls Eyes:

Oz
06-20-2009, 09:34 PM
from shore
rod: cabelas whuppin stick 7ft, cabelas king kat pro 7ft
reel: daiwa regal, penn silverado
line: 8#, 10# 12# 15# p-line or maxima green
bait: shrimp, mack, bonito, M&M and NC with marshmellows
scent: crave gravy
sinker: egg: 1oz, 1.5oz
hooks: baitholder: 4,2,1 circle: 1/0, 2/0

from boat
same as above, just no weight

*i like using chicken liver when fishing the aquaducts

bassin g
06-21-2009, 02:42 PM
I think I might go heaver sinker for shore fishing if everything works right should be a SARL
this coming week

Oz
06-21-2009, 08:23 PM
make sure u bring some of both weights...only time u need the heavy ones if they are far out. most of the times they arent that deep. good luck when you go.

saintarv
06-21-2009, 11:07 PM
Baitrunner reels are the only thing I care about my set up. LOL

calico killer kevin
06-21-2009, 11:11 PM
Used to be my Shimano Elf 100, 2lb line, and custom rod, but they're now permanantly rested on the seafloor of Newport Harbor. Haven't had time to wrap another spinner, but I will after I do my Phenix and Rainshadow. I manhandled a nine-ten pounder in Chris' Pond last year with it.

Don't know how often I'll be catfishing this summer because I've really gotten into surfing, but when I do I'll be using a Sahara/Spinmatic, Sienna/Ugly Stik, and Citica/Compre.

Jimmy310
06-26-2009, 09:34 PM
Looks like chicken liver tops most ppls bait.
Any luck with the Berkly Gulp Blood?

I used to fish with a Budweiser can and any line & hook I could find around but I used wieners.:ROFL:

johnsfishing
06-28-2009, 06:36 PM
Flylined Cut Mackeral and 1/8oz C-rigged Nightcrawlers!!!!

johnsfishing

JigStop
06-29-2009, 04:24 PM
Buy 2-3 whole chicken, on sale for .99 cents lb. let them sit outside, inside of plastic bag to "ripen" (at least three days). Take them to your spot 24 hours before you fish it. Tranfer chicken, carefully because they are now putrid, into a mesh potatoe bag and sink with a brick. Fish over this spot, cats will be everywhere. Works great at Mead, Mohave and have tried with good success in Skinner, cause it brings in a lot of those little stripers too.

Marley
06-29-2009, 08:57 PM
Buy 2-3 whole chicken, on sale for .99 cents lb. let them sit outside, inside of plastic bag to "ripen" (at least three days). Take them to your spot 24 hours before you fish it. Tranfer chicken, carefully because they are now putrid, into a mesh potatoe bag and sink with a brick. Fish over this spot, cats will be everywhere. Works great at Mead, Mohave and have tried with good success in Skinner, cause it brings in a lot of those little stripers too.

eeewwwweeee...I can only imagine what that must smell like.

The Angler
06-29-2009, 09:04 PM

Isn't tht illegal to do here in cali?

CASTAWAY
06-30-2009, 09:39 AM
C- rig is good but most of the time I go with Dropper Loop. Or flylining with
my four # test.:Smile:

JigStop
06-30-2009, 09:52 AM
so are dog food "bombs" but you want to stick some 20lb. + stripers at Catherines\'s landing, you better load up on the Alpo.