PDA

View Full Version : Barracuda mysterious no-show in O.C. waters

tenderloin
06-18-2009, 07:53 PM
Barracuda mysterious no-show in O.C. waters
June 18th, 2009, 11:40 am · 4 Comments · posted by Gary Robbins, science writer-editor

http://sciencedude.freedomblogging.com/2009/06/18/popular-barracuda-a-no-show-in-oc-waters/37347/

For reasons that aren’t clear, sportfishermen haven’t been catching one of their favorite fish — barracuda — in local waters this spring.

“Barracuda were seen off San Diego earlier, but they appear to have gone west; no one’s catching legal-sized (28 inches or longer ) barracuda from Oceanside to Newport,” says Corey Hall, a veteran sportfishing boat captain at Dana Wharf Sportfishing in Dana Wharf.” Davey’s Locker Sportfishing in Newport Beach says the same.

Most years, the feisty and tasty fish show up in local waters in the early part of May. Spring officially ends late Sunday night. It’s still possible they’ll show up; it’s not unusual to catch barracuda through the summer. But the reason they haven’t appeared is a mystery.

Local sea surface temperatures have been in the 64-67 degree range, which is 2-3 degrees below normal. But that might not be the reason that fish haven’t wandered into local waters.

“We’ve caught barracuda when the water was in the low-to-mid 60s,” Hall says.

Follow Sciencedude on Twitter at grobbins and on facebook at facebook.com/garyrobbins

ghetto dad
06-18-2009, 08:11 PM
Yeah man...its sad...this is the WORST May-June I have EVER seen in my 27 years fishing So Cal boats man.....as far as local......

GD

newster
06-19-2009, 07:48 AM
Yeah the weather has not been too good. Luckily, this no show coincides with my boat problems so I am not complaining yet!

Cangler
06-19-2009, 08:19 AM
Plenty at the CI !