PDA

View Full Version : Isle of Redondo, Annie B and the Fat Matt

glumace
06-18-2009, 06:20 PM
While cruising the boards earlier I came across a post for Redondo Beach with a picture of the Isle of Redondo.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_kmJKY6zLH3s/Sjrj9ci0zKI/AAAAAAAABss/rnZjjUImOXg/s400/fish0354.jpg

It brought back some great memories of fishing with my dad in King Harbor and taking the boat out to fish on the barge. I remember one trip around 1984 (I remember it because of all the LA olympic stuff going on) we took the bus with our rods and fishing gear from Wilmington down to Redondo. I remember us having to sit at the back of the bus because of all our stuff and the bus driver not to happy with us. We took the boat out to the barge and it was a wide open Bonito bite going and we filled up a few buckets full that day. For some reason I also remember eating a hamburger from the galley that day, the things you remember as a kid. The most vivid part of that day was the bus ride home, full of chovie scales and two buckets of bled out bonito on the bus. People were not happy, but my dad did not give a crap.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_kmJKY6zLH3s/Sjrj9kj14YI/AAAAAAAABsw/1xL2Z6gny6E/s400/fish0355.jpg

The other barge I remember well was the Annie B in Long Beach harbor. My dad and I would go out on it if he did not feel like going on the Matt Walsh (the photo shows it the old way I remember it before it had a refit with the galley enclosed AH!... outdoor fishing on a boat with no cover in the winter just a yellow slicker and sculpin, no better way...)

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs114.snc1/4834_1193119787596_1216453122_551643_1034871_n.jpg

or if we had friends of mine coming along and my dad did not want to baby sit us. I remember one time going out on the boat from Belmont Shore pier to the barge overnight. Me and my friends fell asleep in the galley while my dad fished. He came in and took a nap and when the boat came in the morning to get us some one had emptied out our tackle box, left the box nothing in it. Learned a good lesson there.... don't sleep, fish.

Good memories... wish the barges were still around to take my son out on.

britheguy
06-18-2009, 06:36 PM
Great stuff man,

Loved the post and the stories. It really shows how much things have changed, and how they haven't.

Thanks again,

Brian.

THROWBACK RANGER
06-18-2009, 08:28 PM
those are some bomb *** photo's. hella old school!!! flash back!!! i got to fish the annie b as a kid before they closed down. its now located at la berth 240, a company called socal ship services bought the annie b and converted it. now its where their boats tie up to and their maintenance crew does repairs to the boats they chopped the top off of it but you can still see where the bait well used to be. the inside where the galley was is now a locker room with two heads and a shower. its good to see she still serves a purpose on the water though!

Ricky-Ray
06-19-2009, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the pics. I sure do remember fishing the Isle of Redondo. Had some awesome bonito bites on that barge back in the 80's.

Thanks for sharing...definitely brought back some memories when I was younger.

ghetto dad
06-19-2009, 07:00 AM
those are some bomb *** photo's. hella old school!!! flash back!!! i got to fish the annie b as a kid before they closed down. its now located at la berth 240, a company called socal ship services bought the annie b and converted it. now its where their boats tie up to and their maintenance crew does repairs to the boats they chopped the top off of it but you can still see where the bait well used to be. the inside where the galley was is now a locker room with two heads and a shower. its good to see she still serves a purpose on the water though!

DITTO!!!!

I live that Matt Walsh pic...i loved fishing that boat the way it was in that pic, before they putt a new house on it trying to compete, with the then "New" Monte Carlo.....you could cast a jig with a 540 from the SIDE of the boat!!

Thanks for the pics

GD

Puropuro
06-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Oh man, the ANNIE B!!!!!
Brings me WAY BACK....thanks for the memories.

Are there any fishing barges around anymore?

glumace
06-19-2009, 10:35 AM
Don't think there are any more barges in our area anymore. I was searching online for them and nada.

Puropuro
06-19-2009, 01:08 PM
Don't think there are any more barges in our area anymore. I was searching online for them and nada.

Found an article that details the history and passing of the barges
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/AREA+FISHING+BARGES+EXTINCT%3B+ISLE+OF+REDONDO+WAS +LAST+OPEN.(SPORTS)-a083828662

How sad. I too, echo your wishes to take my children out on the barge. I still remember a day on the Annie B. in the 80's, limited out on bonito, and enjoying steak and home fries in the galley......good times!

socalfish
06-21-2009, 05:38 PM
great post !love the story.

LunkerLover
06-22-2009, 06:39 PM
Man!!!!!

This post brought back memories ....

My dad introduced me to fishing when I was 4, and he did it on the barge out of Redondo... :LOL:

I can remember going to bed the night before, unable to sleep due to my excitement over catching non-stop fish in a few hours .... the KILLER pancakes and bacon in the galley ... the arcade games next to the counter that you could play for free if you asked the cook for a quarter ...

...the smell of the bait tanks as the hundreds of chovies swam round and round waiting to be dipped out ... the sound of flopping mackeral, halibuts, bat rays, leopards, turbots, and the occasional WSB ...

Every guy smoking Marlboro Reds and Camels ... flicking their cigs overboard .... potato sacks FULL of flopping fish ... my first time hearing swear words ... my first legal hali's....

:LOL:

my dad and me...

DocHolliday
06-29-2009, 04:38 PM
That is awesome, wish i could have experienced something like that. Sounds like tremendous good times.