PDA

View Full Version : fishing playa del rey

elevated
06-18-2009, 10:34 AM
heading out to fish playa del rey jetty today. Just picked up some live bait. any tips for the place? looking for halibut, saw a few dudes pull some out last week, about 25 inchers.

thanks

victor101
06-18-2009, 10:43 AM
Good luck man...Lots of nice halis being pulled out of there...Also lots of shorts. Some of the guys on there dont know that they have to be 22" to keep. I feel like dressing up like DFG sometimes and walk down the jetty...LOL.

elevated
06-18-2009, 01:00 PM
thanks man, I went there using swim baits a few weeks ago, only caught a few undersized buts. anyway I saw a few guys trying to keep some undersized halis and asked them if they measured them. they threw them back in pretty quick after that. lol

what works best there live bait or lures?

victor101
06-18-2009, 01:31 PM
I havent tried live bait yet...Plastics have been getting me some shorties too. Most of the legals ive seen pulled out have been in the creek outlet...Barracuda are biting in the marina...Ive had luck with crankbaits and small megabaits with those. Most are shorties but there are some legals being caught off the jetty. I might be out there later on today with my bro and pops...

Good luck!

gavin310
06-18-2009, 01:56 PM
i was fishing with a luckycraft flash minnow a few months ago and got a huge bite. it didn't hook itself, but there was a big mouth mark on my lure. no doubt it was a big hali. most people fish with dead bait on the bottom (squid or anchovies), so if you present something that looks like it's swimming you might have better luck.