PDA

View Full Version : Wipers come to Hesperia

seal
06-18-2009, 07:16 AM
Well looks like I can finally let the cat, or wiper, out of the bag. I've known for a while now about wipers going in at Hesperia Lake but was sworn to secrecy. They were a little worried about the word getting out early and losing the fish to some other lakes down the hill. Looks like about 1/2 - 3 lbs fish going in, or have gone in this week. Not too big but hey might be fun.

I'll go check out the action this afternoon and see if they are playing yet.

Yes I know, green water, but if they can't see they should still be able to hear my puppy walking on top of the water!

Nessie Hunter
06-18-2009, 10:42 AM
If you 'have' to fish at that Septic Tank of a lake...
Just take a net and scoop out the dead ones!!!

Eye sore of the High Desert...
Sure has gone down the drain in past 3 yrs..

troutdog
06-18-2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the heads up, best of luck out there.

TD

sansou
06-18-2009, 11:16 AM
Was wondering when this was going to happen... Kinda surprised other paylakes don't stock wipers anymore. It's a fun fish to target when they are in sufficient numbers to school around and boil.

BingJr
06-18-2009, 11:59 AM
The obvious choice to support a fantastic Wiper Population would be Irvine do to its size and depth and forage source. Wipers would not be a serious threat to the trout population as they do not generally grow to size to be able to eat anything bigger than a DFG fish. If Irvine had a good wiper population in it, I would fish no where else. They already have the best staff anywhere and especially with the water being so high, is a very scenic place to fish right now.

WIPERS FOR THE WIN!

seal
06-18-2009, 12:13 PM
Was wondering when this was going to happen... Kinda surprised other paylakes don't stock wipers anymore. It's a fun fish to target when they are in sufficient numbers to school around and boil.

Yea I spoke with Ed a couple weeks ago and he was real concerned about the word getting out, was afraid that some other lake might get the jump on him.

Hopefully once the water warms up and those critters he bought that are supposed to eat up all the green stuff in the water start working, the lake will return to it's prior condition. He had a tough time getting the city to help him on doing any dredging or treatments to the lake to clear it up. Also I know that they don't have the pumps working that they use to. Would be a good lake to put an aerator in.

seal
06-18-2009, 12:16 PM
If you 'have' to fish at that Septic Tank of a lake...
Just take a net and scoop out the dead ones!!!

Eye sore of the High Desert...
Sure has gone down the drain in past 3 yrs..

I haven't fished a pay to fish lake in years, but if I start seeing some boils I might just have to pull a few bucks out. That is of course until Silverwood picks up on the topwater.

But I have no plans for consumption of any fish from there!

tenderloin
06-18-2009, 03:34 PM
I thought the lake was run by park and rec.........a separate entity from the city of Hesperia. Nessie would know more about that.

IMO there is no excuse for letting that lake go down the drain the way they have.

seal
06-18-2009, 05:23 PM
I thought the lake was run by park and rec.........a separate entity from the city of Hesperia. Nessie would know more about that.

IMO there is no excuse for letting that lake go down the drain the way they have.

Yup, parks and rec runs it but the fishing concession is run by someone else.

No excuse offered just information.

By the way, don't think fish are hitting yet....

Nessie Hunter
06-19-2009, 06:51 AM
Hesperia Lake fishing is owned/operated by a private concession.
Im sure that it changed hands about 4 yrs ago??..
They did some great Trout stocking the first season and gate $$ went through the roof...

Then the lake went right in the toilet??? I havnt been back since (been about 3 yrs)... :Twisted:

I used to go fish it once in a while to get a quick fix. Take kids & friends, Buy the 10 pack tickets, and just go walk the lake, to get out and be around fishing & the water....

I feel sorry for the fish that do get put in that water (and doesnt seem to many of those either, fish that is.)... :Rolls Eyes:

KittyKiller
07-06-2009, 12:36 PM
Any update on the wipers? Anybody catch any? Are they still stocking or was it a 1 time deal? :???:

goodguy
07-06-2009, 01:13 PM
The obvious choice to support a fantastic Wiper Population would be Irvine do to its size and depth and forage source. Wipers would not be a serious threat to the trout population as they do not generally grow to size to be able to eat anything bigger than a DFG fish. If Irvine had a good wiper population in it, I would fish no where else. They already have the best staff anywhere and especially with the water being so high, is a very scenic place to fish right now.

WIPERS FOR THE WIN!

I think the main reason the Vine have not stocked wipers in so long is that they would be in direct competition with the largemouth for food... Irvine staff has done wonders with the largemouth population over the last handful of years so why add competition??