PDA

View Full Version : Daveys Locker June 18 2007 Twilight on the Freelance

seanyboi
06-22-2007, 10:04 PM
I have been wanting to get out for the last couple of weeks to finally catch myself a couple of those giant squid. Me and four of my friends decided to make the drive to Daveys Locker in Newport to go on a Twilight trip. After getting our tickets and boarding the boat the captain tells us that there has been a wide open White Seabass bite just outside Newport Harbor. Supposedly the night before the caliber caught 60 Seabass. When hearing the news i was extremely excited. After loading up with a few scoops of dines we headed to the seabass spot. I guess that the bite the night before was a once in a lifetime trip because when we fished it was slow with only three hook ups on mystery fish. I then hooked inot a mystery fish also which then turned out to be about a 20 lb bat ray. After sitting at the spot for three hours we finally went out to catch some squid. not even a mile away from Newport Harbor we found the school. From then on it was hook up after hook up on the inkers. After catching about 45 minutes of catching squid a man that was having trouble breathing had a seizure and was practically foaming out of the mouth. His eyes rolled back and he threw up all over the place. After getting him calm he was able to come back and got better. We had to go in early to drop him off at the harbor patrol boat. The guy was fine but i felt really bad for him because he looked terriable. All in all it was a good trip and i caught about 15 squid from 18 to 25 lbs and a 20 lb bat ray. Not bad for a beginning summer trip.

victor101
06-22-2007, 10:40 PM
thanks for the report and good job on the squid. i havent cought me one yet. are u sure he said WO white seabass and not sand bass?

sansou
06-22-2007, 10:59 PM
Those squid will work you out!!

JapanRon
06-23-2007, 02:27 PM
Hi seanyboi,

Nice report .... very nice! 15 Squid .... what the heck ya do with all of them??? :shock:

If I ever catch another one, I'm making 4-foot Squid strips out of it!! :lol: :lol:

JapanRon

seanyboi
06-24-2007, 10:21 PM
yes it was for sure white seabass. i talked to the captain and everything. it got me excited for a second but of course we got skunked on them

plumbertom
06-25-2007, 07:16 AM
Yeah, them WSB tend to move around it there is no market squid to hold them.
Once in a while I like to catch some of those big squirts. for me couple last a while.
Good job, hope you know some folks who like calimari.

Hitts0n
06-25-2007, 07:36 AM
Nice report ! Enj0y! :P