PDA

View Full Version : freelance

matt k.
04-16-2007, 07:15 PM
I am thinking about going out on the freelance out of daveys locker. And was wondering if anyone knows how the boat is doing right now? and whats biteing

victor101
04-16-2007, 07:22 PM
hey matt, you can expect to catch some rockfish. heres their website http://www.daveyslocker.com/open.htm you can check out the fish count to see exactly whats biting.
oh, and before the guys hackle you, this is the reports forum. this thread should be in the saltwater general section.

JapanRon
04-16-2007, 08:24 PM
Hi matt K,

Welcome to FNN

Be sure and come back to the reports board once you've done your trip to share a report on it! We're friendly and only the fisshys bite ...... some sometimes the Squid too! :shock:

JapanRon

Funjunkie74
04-16-2007, 08:57 PM
Matt,
Welcome to the board.
On the Freelance, you will find out that Norris, the captain, will tell you nothing until he leaves the dock. So many times I've asked him, he'll never tell you. Neither the deckhands or yesterday's fish count can tell you what to expect.

But, that being said, it is rock cod season.
So take a couple rods with you:
1. Rock cod setup - two hook reverse dropper loop works best (for me).
Although the sonar will say "they're at the bottom", most times they'll skip the bottom hook and go for the one on top. I don't know why...?

2. The bass seem to be biting...just a little. So a nice light (10# or 12#) setup would be good to bring. Like JapanRon, I fish bass with plastics. It's more fun that way. You can use this rig for the Sculpin too! Light lines always catch more scorpions!

3. Then the in-between rod, a level wind with 20# test for everything else.

4. If you're ambitious, then an 8# setup could be fun too!

I see the bonito are in and out, but you had the 10# setup to go get em!

The deckhands are some of the best I've worked with. They'll take care of ya, make ya laugh and you'll learn a thing or two. And mom in the kitchen makes a really gooooood cheese burger. Don't forget to leave room for the nachos on the way home!!

Oh, here's a preview of what could be possible..

Funjunkie

matt k.
04-16-2007, 09:27 PM
thanks and sry for the wrong section. i'll check out the fish count even though its prob padded a lil bit

ahhvtec
04-16-2007, 09:43 PM
Like Funjunkie said Norris will tell you nothing, not even to the deckhands and for that I do not appreciate. I hate waiting til the last minute to know what I have to tie up. However Rene in the galley and Dennis on deck are some cool peeps. Have a good time on that boat!

Duc

littletroutchaser
04-23-2007, 05:47 PM
just go to newport...way better crew and in most cases a better captain.