PDA

View Full Version : First Surgery

britheguy
06-15-2009, 10:37 PM
Laugh all you want, but this is the first time I am going under General Anesthesia.

It is just a wisdom tooth extraction, still nervous!!

After I get better it is straight off to Bass Pro to get ready for my yearly Maine slayage, and re-equip my tackle box.

Who has had this procedure as well?

tacklejunkie
06-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Haha,
it's fun. I don't know if it's because I told them I was nervous about it or not, but I woke up laughin my butt off for a half hour.

Just tell them you're nervous about it and hope they hook you up with whatever they did to me! :LOL:

I ate Pho 54 the same day! You'll be fine.

Sue
06-15-2009, 11:22 PM
I've had all of my wisdom teeth removed, but under local anaesthetic as opposed to general (I got lucky, they all grew in straight!).

As far as the general anaesthesia goes, if you're worried about throwing up, ask them for an anti-emetic (10mg of metochlopramide should do the trick). You may get nauseous from any blood that you may "swallow" while under.

Also, once you've had the tooth extracted, DO NOT smoke or drink through a straw for 24-48 hours. This can lead to what's known as "dry socket syndrome" which is basically when the blood clot is dislodged from the cavity left by the extraction. It's apparently painful as all heck.

The day of the surgery, stick to plain soup with no "bits" in it - basically broth.
In the 48 hours after that, go with mashed potatoes and gravy, mac and cheese - anything that doesn't have small bits that could get into the socket.

Believe me, after the 2nd day you'll be feeling fine, after a week, you'll wonder what the fuss was all about :)

sansou
06-16-2009, 12:25 AM
Man-up Bri!

You'll be fine. They usually give those boring wisdom tooth surgeries to the recently graduated dentists so they have something to practice on.

By the way, what do they call those guys that graduate at the very very bottom of their class at dental school?

---> A dentist.

Joking aside, I wish you well and a speedy recovery.

CatchthatTrout
06-16-2009, 06:54 AM
Well, compared to knee and hip replacement, you should recover just fine.

I had ALL 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled out at the same time by USC school of Dentistry back in 1982 by students while I was hospitalized with my knee reconstruction surgery.

I woke up, was given Tylenol #3, took a nap and didn't feel a thing.

lalo56
06-16-2009, 07:01 AM
I had both top taken out using local anaesthetic. Did'nt hurt one bit. One of them almost broke while trying to extract. All went well. Ate soups 'til the clotted blood went away.

City Dad
06-16-2009, 07:07 AM
Had two out via local and two via general.

Dentists really like it if you break the tension with a few piercing screams right at the begining. Get's everyone in a jovial mood!

bruce watson
06-16-2009, 07:28 AM
I had mine taken out in the morning and played a round of golf that afternoon. As a side note, your golf score seems to be a couple strokes higher after coming out of Sodium Pennitol.

JediMindTricks
06-16-2009, 08:51 AM
never had my teeth pulled.
but ive been under for shoulder surgery.
i remember looking in the nurses eyes, telling her how beautiful they were, and than i was OUT! woke up asking the nurse if the surgery happened yet. had no clue what happened. stood up, and went home with a bottle of percacet. oh yeah.

but ive seen people take it really bad. like mad groggy after, puke-ish feeling.

i was cool as hell, cant wait to do my other shoulder!!

cappo
06-16-2009, 08:51 AM
Make sure they knock you out good. I woke up during the surgery. The noise of teeth shattering is not good.

Get ready to have chipmunk cheeks for a few days too. lol

JediMindTricks
06-16-2009, 09:06 AM
Make sure they knock you out good. I woke up during the surgery. The noise of teeth shattering is not good.

once i was in the waiting room, and one of there doors were kinda cracked open, so i could hear the whole operation going on.

next thing i hear........ is the loudest "crunch/crack" ever and all of them just laughing out loud about it. kinda tramatized me for some reason.......

PHISHnutS
06-16-2009, 09:56 AM
I just had all four pulled about a month ago, it was my first time being knocked out and I was pretty nervous. It actually went really smooth, it's only about a 15min procedure now.

Like a few others mentioned, do not drink from a straw, spit or smoke for at least the first 24 hrs. I had a hard time completely stopping the bleeding anyway and as soon as I would spit it would break the clot and start all over. The gauze in your mouth and keeping pressure on the open holes was the worse part but that just the first few hours right afterwards, it gets much better each day.

Good luck and don't worry about it, it's not as bad as you think.

Jackpot Jimmy
06-16-2009, 10:48 AM
I had my wisdom teeth removed a few years ago. And it was not pretty...

Everything went fine until they came to the last tooth. Just as the dentist went for the last tooth, it slipped out of its place. He could not find it, so they had to wake me up, take me to X-ray to find it. It has slipped near my sinus cavity. He had to stick his entire hand in my mouth, go up the sinus cavity, push it down, and remove it. My cheek was swollen to the size of a baseball for about a week. Not too much pain, though.

troutdog
06-16-2009, 10:54 AM
I had all 4 removed at once and it was not fun to say the least, if you are only having one done it should be a walk in the park!

TD

Troutman65
06-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Its always scarry going under. Because you never know if your going to wake back up. You should be just fine.

britheguy
06-16-2009, 04:24 PM
Haha I just finished! It went perfectly, I woke up laughing.

I went to an amazing surgeon in Beverly Hills. The numbed my arm before putting the IV in, which was nice, then within 15 seconds I was out.

I woke up feeling great and like I said, laughing.

I took a perkacet (SP?) about 4 hours ago, and a Vicadin about 10 minutes ago. Switching gauze sucks, and my jaw hurts a little, but overall it went great!

Thanks for all the support guys, Made me feel much better!

PS. I had all 4 of mine out, they had to break them too because they were impacted, one was sitting on a nerve but none had fully formed roots yet.

sansou
06-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Your still young. Don't let pride get in the way of you bringing up "Tooth Fairy" money to mom & pops!

Times is tough and fishing tackle ain't cheap! An angler's gotta do what an angler has to do...

britheguy
06-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Your still young. Don't let pride get in the way of you bringing up "Tooth Fairy" money to mom & pops!

Times is tough and fishing tackle ain't cheap! An angler's gotta do what an angler has to do...

Hahahah Good call Sansou!

Thanks for the laugh, I am heading for BPS later this week since my tackle was stolen and I need stuff for camp.

DccFISHerMan
06-16-2009, 04:43 PM
Just have a few beers and get out ur needle nose!!! lol

britheguy
06-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Just have a few beers and get out ur needle nose!!! lol

If only I was of age...If only. I'm feeling the root beers though!

After Bruce said something about him playing golf, I just got my arm in shape again after being out for 2 seasons of baseball, and I feeling a good game of golf.

I wonder if Vicadin improves your swing, or your running speed.

bsp
06-16-2009, 06:23 PM
You're a very lucky guy if you feel fine after the surgery. One of my buddies had all four pulled and was completely that day. Then you have people like me who were knocked out for a week and couldn't eat solids for two. I'll admit that Vicodin was interesting though. I got an extreme reaction to it and my dad said I acted like a totally drunk guy the for the whole day of the surgery. I don't remember anything, but apparently it was amusing for my mom and dad.

Vicodin could improve your running/pitching because you would not feel pain, but you could hurt yourself for that same reason.

Jackpot Jimmy
06-16-2009, 06:53 PM
After my extractions, they gave me a synthetic Vicodin, and I saw stars coming out of the door knob.

ghetto dad
06-16-2009, 06:57 PM

bri-avelli......:ROFL::ROFL:

ull be ok homie....good luck

GD

tacklejunkie
06-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Haha I just finished! It went perfectly, I woke up laughing.

I went to an amazing surgeon in Beverly Hills. The numbed my arm before putting the IV in, which was nice, then within 15 seconds I was out.

I woke up feeling great and like I said, laughing.

Haha. Feels great! The feeling right before you konk out is pretty nice too. :LOL:
They took 6 outta me :Confused: All at once!
didn't feel a thing. Maybe 3 days later a little "missing tooth tingles" or something from the nerves trippin on where the tooth went but no biggie. Told ya you'd be OK!

KaliDawgFan
06-16-2009, 08:27 PM
I just had all four wisdom teeth pulled May 15th. It took a few days to recover, but everything was pretty much fine after that. Just make sure not to use a straw or spit for a while after.

Sue
06-16-2009, 09:52 PM
Yay! Glad it all went ok!

britheguy
06-16-2009, 10:31 PM
Haha thanks guys! After tonight, I should be pretty darn well off!

Oh and Sue, thanks for the tip on the mashed potatoes and gravy, tasted great and no pain what so ever!

Thanks again guys for the support!

I will see you all on the water soon!

Brian

bruce watson
06-18-2009, 07:07 PM
After Bruce said something about him playing golf, I just got my arm in shape again after being out for 2 seasons of baseball, and I feeling a good game of golf.

I wonder if Vicadin improves your swing, or your running speed.

Vicadin will not improve your swing nor your running speed. But it will help you not give a d*mn about you swing or your speed. Some day, go for a combat wound. Ah, Morphine.