PDA

View Full Version : Net Fishing

Chandy
06-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Hi everyone .. New to the board and fairly new to the rod fishing scene i mean i have always had them but never knew what to use how to rig until recently and now even more in detail in the forum..

I still have not started venturing out to the parks and lakes but i am a 10+ year veteran fishing the canals out in Poston Az around the C.R.I.T reservation where we fished them every start of the year in January when they will lower the water to clean out the canals. If we did not take them they would most likely die . I grew up eating carp and love it .. But now i want to switch in to the rod and reel scene and feel the fight with those monster carps and cats so i will definitely on here a lot sticking my head around.

Here are some Pics of one of our trips

-Chandy !!

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/gopnda2k/fishing/1.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/gopnda2k/fishing/2.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/gopnda2k/fishing/3.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/gopnda2k/fishing/4.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/gopnda2k/fishing/5.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/gopnda2k/fishing/6.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/gopnda2k/fishing/7.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/gopnda2k/fishing/8.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/gopnda2k/fishing/9.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/gopnda2k/fishing/10.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/gopnda2k/fishing/11.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/gopnda2k/fishing/12.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/gopnda2k/fishing/13.jpg

TShaffer
06-15-2009, 07:28 PM
Looks like a lotta fish in a little spot!

Chandy
06-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Looks like a lotta fish in a little spot!

From the top of the canal you see the cloudy pools where they are all at Vs the clear water around

TShaffer
06-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Ever tried rod and reel fishing there?

Catrack77
06-16-2009, 05:46 AM
Sorry, but I have to ask

Chandy
06-16-2009, 06:24 AM
Sorry, but I have to ask this question since no one else is. Is that not against the law? Maybe I'm wrong but I know you can not use a net in california (anywhere) and that reservation is on both sides of the river and I see that you friends have their faces blocked out, so that also puts it in question. Again, not a hater, just had to ask. If it is legal great job.

Later
Desert cat

Hey Desert Cat

To be honest i dont know what the laws are there but we fished this area for 10+ years and will purchase our fishing and camping permit to camp out in the reservation. The fish and game officers from the reservation would come out check our licenses and would never say we could not do it we would give them fish and they would even show us other spots to fish at . As for my buddys well i blurr there faces out because i dont know if they would appreciate me posting pictures of them without there permission..

As for fishing rod and reel.. Thats exactly what i wont to do but not sure what kind of setup to use.. Not to intrested in the carp but intrested on the cats and bass .

plumbertom
06-16-2009, 08:12 AM
Casting nets and seines are legal to use in Az. for taking rough fish and bait fish.
Keep in mind though that the mere possession of a casting net while fishing in Ca. is considered proof of usage so if you plan on fishing in Ca. leave the net at home.

Big Country
06-16-2009, 09:37 AM
Unless your on a reservation and a member of the tribe right?

Stormcrow
06-16-2009, 10:08 AM
Thats kind of cool, although I question the fun in it and the brutal efficiency of it all. There is no shortage of carp. However, if you rigged up a 4lb mono spinning outfit and some size 18 trebles with a kernel of corn on each barb you and your buddies would have a hell of alot more fun.

Chandy
06-16-2009, 10:30 AM
Thats kind of cool, although I question the fun in it and the brutal efficiency of it all. There is no shortage of carp. However, if you rigged up a 4lb mono spinning outfit and some size 18 trebles with a kernel of corn on each barb you and your buddies would have a hell of alot more fun.

LoL... I agree and i am itching to do this .. but its getting hot out there. i once was stuck out there in some sand for 6 hours and the only shade out was the shade my truck was casting LoL 110 degress..

What kind of setup will one use to fish for some bass ? No live bait but more on the artificial side ?

olefrog
06-16-2009, 11:37 AM
One must remember the C.R.I.T. is a nation with in a nation.
This means they have their own laws, state laws mean nothing .
The fishing laws for the C.R.I.T. are
Colorado River Indian Tribes

Fish and Game Department

2009 FISHING REGULATIONS

FISH, AMPHIBIAN, CRUSTACEAN AND MOLLUSK SEASON: TAKING, POSSESSION

AND TRANSPORTATION.

A. GENERAL PROVISIONS

(1) OPEN WATERS:

All waters on the Colorado River Indian Reservation are open to the taking of fish, amphi-

bian, crustaceans, mollusks, except where posted as closed to such activity. Please note that special bag and size limits apply to DEER LAKE, 12 MILE LAKE & NO NAME LAKE.

(2) RESTRICTED DEVICES

(a) The use of bow and arrows, snags, snares, spears or spear guns is prohibited within one hundred (100) yards of any boat dock or posted swimming area.

(3) WATERCRAFT

(a) Watercraft with outboard type gasoline engines may be used in the following areas if the outboard engine is completely raised out of the water. The outboard engine may be used to transfer the boat to and from the trailer.

1. Deer Lake

2. 12 Mile Lake

3. Moovalya Pond

4. No Name Lake

5. South Boundary Pond

6. Ahakhav Tribal Preserve.

(b) Except for emergency situations involving injuries, department functions & fishery management operations, no person shall use anything other than electric trolling motors, sails, oars as power when fishing or recreating in the areas noted in section 3(a) of this regulation.

(c)Except for emergency situations department functions, fishery management operations and routine maintenance, no person shall operate any type of watercraft in the Colorado River Indian Irrigation delivery system or drainage system.

(4) SPECIES IDENTIFICATION:

(a) All fish, amphibians, crustaceans and mollusks possessed or transported must have the head and tail, skin, or shell attached so that the species can be identified, numbers counted, and any required minimum size determined.

B. FISH

(1.) SEASON: All fish, except those protected species listed in this section, may be taken from January 1, 2009 through December 31, 2009, inclusive.

(2.) METHOD OF TAKE: Fish may be taken only by angling, except Carp, which may be taken by bow and arrow, snag, snare, spear or spear gun.

(3.) PROTECTED SPECIES: The following fish species are protected species and may not be taken or

possessed:

(a) Colorado River Squaw fish (Colorado Pikeminnow)

(b) Humpback Chub

(c) Bonytail Chub

(d) Razorback Sucker

(e) White Amur

(4.) LIVE BAIT FISH, LIVE BOXES AND STRINGERS:

1. Live bait may be taken only for personal use as bait and only by the following methods:

(a) Dip net or throw net not exceeding six (6) feet in diameter.

(b) A minnow trap with dimensions not exceeding twelve (12) inches in width, twenty-four (24) inches in length and twelve (12) inches in depth.

(c) A seine not exceeding ten (10) feet in length and four (4) feet in width.

(e) A crayfish net, defined for the purposes of these regulations as a net not exceeding twenty-four (24) inches per side or in diameter which is retrieved by means of a hand-held line.

(f) Bait fish: The only species of live fish that may be taken for the purpose of live bait fish are:

1. Fathead Minnow

2. Mosquito Fish

3. Plains Red Shiner

4. Thread-fin Shad

5. Carp

6. Goldfish

7. Sunfish

8. Golden Shiners

9. Crayfish

2. Any person using a stringer or live boxes shall remain with a reasonable distance of the stringer or live box at all times. unattended stringers and live boxes must bear a water-proof identification tag with the permit holder's name, permit number and address.

(5.) BAG, POSSESSION AND SIZE LIMITATIONS FOR ALL WATERS ON THE COLORADO RIVER INDIAN RESERVATION, EXCEPT DEER LAKE, 12 MILE LAKE & NO NAME LAKE:

Game Fish

(a) BLACK BASS (including large and small mouth)

Bag Limit: Ten (10) fish, per day in the aggregate.

Possession Limit: Twenty (20) fish in the aggregate, of which no more than ten (10) may be taken in any one day.

Size Limitation: No black bass less than nine (9) inches in length may be taken. All unharmed fish less than the legal minimum size must be returned immediately to the water from which taken.

(b) CATFISH: (including channel, flathead, blue and albino)

Bag Limit: Ten (10) fish per day in the aggregate.

Possession Limit: Twenty (20) fish in the aggregate, of which no more than ten (10) may be taken in any one day.

Size Limitation: None

(c) RAINBOW TROUT:

Bag Limit: Ten (10) fish per day.

Possession Limit: Twenty (20) fish in possession, of which no more than ten (10) may be taken in any one day.

(d) STRIPED BASS:

Possession Limit: Twenty (20) fish in possession, of which no more than ten (10) may be taken in any one day.

(6.) BAG, POSSESSION AND SIZE LIMITATIONS FOR ALL WATERS ON THE COLORADO RIVER INDIAN RESERVATION, EXCEPT DEER LAKE, 12 MILE LAKE & NO NAME LAKE:

Non game fish

(a) BULLHEAD CATFISH:

No bag, possession or size limitation.

(b) SUNFISH: (includes blue gill, green sunfish, red ear sunfish, warmouth, perch)

(c) TILAPIA:

(d) CRAPPIE:

(e) CARP:

(7.) BAG AND SIZE LIMITATIONS FOR DEER LAKE, 12 MILE LAKE, & NO NAME LAKE:

Game Fish

(a) BLACK BASS (including large and small mouth)

Bag Limit: Five (5) fish, per day in the aggregate.

Size Limitation: No black bass between 13 and 16 inches in length may be taken. All unharmed fish between 13 and 16 inches must be returned immediately to thewater from which taken

(b) CATFISH: (including channel, flathead, blue and albino)

(c) RAINBOW TROUT:

(d) STRIPED BASS:

(8.) BAG AND SIZE LIMITATIONS FOR DEER LAKE, 12 MILE LAKE, & NO NAME LAKE:

Non game Fish

(a) BULLHEAD CATFISH:

(b) SUNFISH: (includes blue gill, green sunfish, red ear sunfish, warmouth, perch)

(c) TILAPIA:

(d) CRAPPIE:

(e) CARP:

(9.) NO GAME FISH OR ANY PART THEREOF MAY BE USED FOR BAIT FISH.

C. BULLFROGS:

(1.) SEASON: July 1, 2009 through December 31, 2009

(2.) METHOD OF TAKE: Bullfrogs may be taken only by angling, spear, gig, bow and arrow,

dip net or by hand.

(3). BAG AND POSSESSION LIMIT: Fifteen (15) per day or in possession, dead or alive.

D. OTHER AMPHIBIANS:

(1.) SEASON: All amphibians, except bullfrogs and those protected species listed in this section, may be taken from January 1, 2009 through December 31, 2009, inclusive.

(2.) METHOD OF TAKE: All amphibians, except bullfrogs, may be taken only by angling, by

hand, with any hand held non-motorized implement which does not discharge a projectile or by a minnow trap.

(3.) BAG AND POSSESSION LIMIT: There is no bag or possession limit.

(4.) PROTECTED SPECIES: The following amphibian species are protected species and may not be taken or

possessed:

Lowland Leopard Frog Rana yavapaiensis

Arizona Toad Bufo microscaphus microscaphus

Colorado River Toad Bufo alvarius

E. SOFT-SHELLED TURTLES:

(1.) SEASON: Soft-shelled Turtles may be taken from January 1, 2009 through December

31, 2009 inclusive.

(2.) METHOD OF TAKE: Soft-shelled turtles may be taken only by angling, by hand, with

any hand held non-motorized implement which does not discharge a projectile.

(3.) BAG AND POSSESSION LIMIT: Five (5) per day and or in possession/dead or alive.

F. OTHER REPTILES:

(1.) SEASON: All reptiles, except soft-shelled turtles and those protected species listed below, may be taken from

January 1, 2009 through December 31, 2009, inclusive.

(2.) METHOD OF TAKE: Reptiles may be taken by hand, spear, gig, bow and arrow, net, or trap.

(3.) BAG AND POSSESSION LIMIT: Five (5) per day and or in possession in the aggregate.

(4.) PROTECTED SPECIES: The following reptile species are protected species and are not to be taken or possessed:

(a.) (Banded) Gila Monster Heloderma suspectum (cinctum)

(b.) (Desert) Rosy Boa Lichanura trivirgata (gracia)

(c.) (Sonoran) Desert Tortoise Gopherus (Xerobates) agassizi

(d.) Chuckwalla Sauromalus obesus

(e.) Cowles Fringe-toed Lizard Uma notata rufopunctata

(f.) Flat-tailed Horned Lizard Phrynosoma mcallii

(g.) Mojave Fringe-toed Lizard Uma scoparia

(5.) PROHIBITED ACTIVITIES:

No reptile or any part thereof may be exported, purchased, bartered, sold or offered for sale.

G. CRUSTACEANS, MOLLUSKS AND INVERTEBRATES:

(1.) SEASON: All Crustaceans and Mollusks may be taken from January 1, 2009 through

December 31, 2009, inclusive.

(2.) METHOD OF TAKE: All Crustaceans and Mollusks may be taken only by angling, by

hand, with any hand held non-motorized implement which does not discharge a pro-

jectile or by a minnow trap meeting the specifications set forth in section B, subsection 4 of these

regulations.

(3.) BAG AND POSSESSION LIMIT: There is no bag or possession limit dead or alive.

(4.) PROTECTED SPECIES: The following species are protected species and are not to be taken or possessed:

(a.) Riverside Fairy Shrimp Streptocephalus wootoni

(b.) California Floater Anodonta californiensis

H. ENFORCEMENT:

Violation of this regulation is a violation of the Natural Resource Code of the Colorado River Indian Tribes.

The foregoing regulation was issued by the Department of Fish and Game pursuant to Article I, Section 1-205 of the Natural Resources Code and was duly approved by the Administrative Committee on _____________, 2009.

ADMINISTRATIVE COMMITTEE DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND GAME

COLORADO RIVER INDIAN TRIBAL COUNCIL COLORADO RIVER INDIAN TRIBES

I have no comments on the throw net
ta ta ole frog